How do I get the wet dog smell out of my dryer? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-29-2011, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This problem was relayed through my husband. My sense of smell is not the best, and I can't smell it, but it's driving him bonkers. A few weeks ago we bought a few cloth diapers (fitteds and AIOs) at a yard sale. After running them through the wash and dryer, he says the dryer smelled like wet dog. He says it has been about the same since then--that the smell hasn't gotten worse or better. The diapers smell clean when they come out of the wash, and then after going through the dryer they acquire the dog smell. I think that we didn't wash the yard sale diapers enough to get the dog scent out (99% sure the prev. owner had dogs), and then the dryer picked it up, and even though we've since ramped up our washing procedure by adding an extra rinse, the problem remains from before. Does anybody have any ideas? (Other than "dry the diapers on the line instead").

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#2 of 8 Old 07-29-2011, 03:41 PM

Have you wiped down the interior with white vinegar? Then run it with no clothing in there.
Also have you considered that the washer is dirty as well even though neither of you can smell it, the bacteria that might be causing it could be present there too? I use the Tide Washing Machine Cleaner once a month with my washer when I have a smell that I can't get rid of.
Hope that helps.
#3 of 8 Old 07-29-2011, 04:55 PM

Soak a bath towel in white vinegar mixed with a TINY bit of some essential oil that you like and then tumble until dry. Or, You can pour a big bottle of vanilla extract (fake, not the real stuff that is too expensive) all over a cloth diaper that is your least favorite (super stained up prefold) and dry it for an hour.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#4 of 8 Old 08-18-2011, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

It seems to be the washer AND dryer. In hindsight, I wish I had not bought these diapers and I am kind of mad at the original owner for whatever on earth she did to them and then selling them!

So far I have run the washer with bleach, vinegar (twice), and baking soda. I have run the dryer with a towel soaked in vinegar, twice. The problem hasn't abated at all. If anything it's worse--I can smell it now, and I couldn't before.

Next we're going to go get the official washing machine cleaning products at Sears, hopefully they'll have a dryer cleaning product too.

This is just so frustrating!

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#5 of 8 Old 01-24-2012, 06:37 PM

My husband said stop putting the dog in the dryer! :)

#6 of 8 Old 01-24-2012, 07:18 PM

This is such a bummer- to get a good deal and it end up biting you in the bottom!

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#7 of 8 Old 01-24-2012, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

We ended up getting a dryer repair person in and he and my husband cleaned the whole thing out... it is better now but still not perfect. I threw out all of the diapers except a couple that didn't seem to have the problem. Some deal that was, cost us $120 fee for the repair person. Grump.

#8 of 8 Old 01-24-2012, 08:05 PM

UGH man that would really irk me- it did not even happen to me and it irks me.

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page