Diaper Rash from Cloth Wipes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-09-2011, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As soon as I got my stuff together and switched from disposable wipes to my cloth wipes and plain water my baby got a rash. I tried using some CA Baby diaper rash spray and Grovia diaper rash stick when the rash first appeared but neither of those seemed to help. After several days of the rash not seeming to get any better, I stopped using the CA Baby spray and switched back to disposable wipes, Huggies Sensitive Skin, and the rash got better. I'm still using the Grovia diaper rash stick. It's not completely gone but definitely better than it was before.

Do you suppose I need to replace my cloth wipes? They are several years old and some have been through 2 babies already. I keep them wet in an old disposable wipes box. When we lived in Hawaii the box I kept them in would get mildewy. Maybe they are yucky from prolonged use and storage. I have washed them several times in hot water with Charlie's Soap so there shouldn't be any residue that would bother baby. Charlie's Soap doesn't bother him, anyway.

I'm wondering if I should bother spending money on new wipes or just give it up and stick with what I know works even though I don't like it.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 08-09-2011, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

for some odd reason if I use cloth wipes and PLAIN water we always get rashes but wit ha wipe solution she stays rash free. I use Lu sals botty wipe solution

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#3 of 5 Old 08-09-2011, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Well, so far I've tried the CA baby wipe solution spray and Kissaluvs and both caused the rash to get worse. I'm afraid to waste money on more.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#4 of 5 Old 08-12-2011, 10:13 PM

If you think it's the wipes themselves you could always try boiling them. As far as a wipes solution I just use water, a little baby oil and a few squirts of baby wash ( just use whatever baby wash you use in the tub because you know he's not allergic to that.) Sometimes I put a drop of tee tree oil in too. I suggest keeping the wipes dry. I keep mine dry and have a gladware container with the solution and I dunk them and wring them out as needed. Think of it like his bum is getting a mini bath every time you change him. Haha.  I know some people put the solution in a spray bottle too and spray the wipes as needed. If you keep them wet I'd definitely use a few drops of tea tree oil to keep away the mildew. It works great for us my son almost never has rashes and he gets them from most disposable wipes.

#5 of 5 Old 08-13-2011, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

i don't use any soap or baby body wash because we all have sensitive skin. even for baths it's plain water. my 7.5yo just recently started asking for shampoo and bodywash. of course, he wants axe grossedout.gif like his bog bro but that's another story. i won't use TTO because said 7yo had a very bad reaction to it when he was a baby. the only soap we've used is CA Baby bubble bath and my kids were fine with it. that's why i got the CA Baby diaper wash spray.

i will try boiling the wipes. i always wash in hot and dry on high heat but maybe that's not enough.

i think i've read some people use that dr. bonner's castille soap. there are a couple of stores here that sell that. maybe i'll try that. i also did go ahead and order some new wipes to see if that makes a difference.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page