Best diaper for someone who hates prefolds? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-09-2011, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Hi!  I bought a huge stash of prefolds before my son was born (he's 8 months now) and while I tolerated them for a while... I really hate them now.  He wears way too many disposable diapers because I hate trying to fold and pin a diaper on a baby who would rather not be there.  I have 30-something (34?) infant prefolds and 24 premium prefolds right now and I can bet at least a few of the premiums only get used once a week or less.  Half the time I don't even use cloth because I use up all my favorite diapers and only have the prefolds clean.  I need something easy and I can't afford $400 for a new stash!

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2011, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What are the "favourite diapers" that you do like using?

Old 08-10-2011, 12:12 AM

have you tried tri-folding? lately I've just been folding the pre-fold into thirds and laying it in the cover. much easier to do than messing with a snappi or pins.

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
Old 08-12-2011, 03:20 PM

If I were you, I'd shop for pockets sold without inserts (like these Mommy's Touch on clearance at Cloth Diaper Clearance). You get them at a discount and still and use your prefolds to stuff. There are some for $10 if you shop around, and then you buy 12, wash every other day, and you've only spent $120 more!

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

Old 08-12-2011, 10:18 PM

I agree with tri folding them in the cover! It's so much quicker to change them.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:39 AM

Seconded the comment by PinkBunch. CottonBabies has been running BumGenius 4.0 seconds for $10 each, too. (Again, no inserts.)

Old 08-23-2011, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry it took so long!  I got some cheap prefolds so they don't trifold well.  They still need to be folded down in the front and then it makes him look ridiculous.  The company changed the dimensions a little while ago but I'm working with a prefold nearly as long as GMD's largest size on an 8 month old.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:03 PM

I don't know how well it would work for you, but my 2 year old often wears a tr-folded infant prefold or two with covers. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
Old 08-24-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WifeofAnt View Post

Sorry it took so long!  I got some cheap prefolds so they don't trifold well.  They still need to be folded down in the front and then it makes him look ridiculous.  The company changed the dimensions a little while ago but I'm working with a prefold nearly as long as GMD's largest size on an 8 month old.

Try trifolding the other direction? Works for us!

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

Old 08-28-2011, 07:25 AM

I put a plug in for them above, but the sunbaby 4.0 have upgraded their quality A LOT.  

Amanda
Mom to Reya (13) and Little baby Lila 9/22

http://arealwomanssweatjournal.blogspot.com

Old 10-13-2011, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Sunbaby 4.0s were the ones that were falling apart!!

Old 10-14-2011, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WifeofAnt View Post

Do you have a sewing machine? And some sharp scissors? You could always cut the extra length, so you don't have to fold them and then just zig-zag the raw edge...of course, might not make them as useful later on.

User Tag List