Cruising with a toddler in CD - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-15-2011, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

We are planning a family cruise vacation this comming winter, and will be taking our children, including the baby, who will be 18 months.  Has anyone gone on a cruise wile CDing?  We thought about just purchasing some disposables for the trip, but I really hate to just switch so drastically for our vacation, and the baby is our redhead with some skin sensativities, not to mention that I would have no idea what size or brand to get.  We have used GroVia and gDiapers before (not my favorite systems, but they are great for some things), and I still have 2 covers of each, thou the gDiapers are meduims, and I think baby will be solidly in a large by then.  I was thinking of just buying a few extras of these and doing their disposable inserts for the trip.  Has anyone tried this?  Which one would be better?  Or both?  

We typically use GMD prefolds paired with various covers.  I checked, and the cruise ship does not have self-service laundry onboard.  They do have a laundry service, but I wouldn't trust my diapers to it, so for all intents, there will be no way to launder anything apart from rinsing in the sink and hanging over the shower.  I was thinking that the gDiapers lend themselves more to that, since they're just a 2-layer cotton cover and snap-out plastic liner.  Oh, it's a 9-day cruise to the Bahamas.  I was thinking maybe 5-6 covers and at least one 50-pack of liners might do the trick.  The more I think about it, the more I think gDiapers are a better option, with the snap-out liners, I could easiy rinse them and they'd dry overnight and hopefully avoid any stinkies.  Then if we did end up with a leaky poo, it would be possible to wash it by hand in the sink and give it a couple of days to dry- or maybe even send it to be laundered, since there's no PUL to get ruined.  Hmmm... I'd appreciate any advice from the BDDT gang, TIA!

Wife to since '98; Homeschooling, working on my doctorate & becoming crunchier by the day; Mom to DSs: 06/10,12/05, & 1/99 & 1 on the way (3/15)
#2 of 3 Old 08-16-2011, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'd do gDiapers too. I quite like the system - the velcro isn't the best on them but the nylon liners dry super-quickly and are nice and breathable (I also have a very sensitive-skinned redhead :) ). Those nylon liners can sometimes dry within a couple of hours if it's hot out, and the covers don't hold stink. My son can't handle PUL, so gDiapers are our out-of-the house diaper most of the time. Also they're nice and trim, and even if you do end up buying larger covers, they can still be used when you get home with a cloth insert in the liner - I do that a lot. Of course you can do that with the GroVia too, but I think you'd have more luck hand-washing the gDiapers.

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#3 of 3 Old 08-18-2011, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Thanks for the encouragement.  Now I just have to convince DH that it'll be worth the extra $$ to buy several.  Unfortunately, they're relatively expensive.  I found a lot of three on ebay for cheap, so I'll try to do that, and then just buy 2-3 new from diapers.com.  Then I'll just get a couple of bags of the inserts and be ready to go. 

I wonder about night time, though?  I've never tried gDiapers out overnight, since they do sometimes leak during the day if I'm not careful to change often enough.  I wonder if they'll be good enough for that or not?  Or maybe I'll take my 2 GroVia one size diapers and get some disposie liners for them- I think they honestly contain better.  Then I'll just use those at night and hope we don't have any major leaks during the night. 

Wife to since '98; Homeschooling, working on my doctorate & becoming crunchier by the day; Mom to DSs: 06/10,12/05, & 1/99 & 1 on the way (3/15)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page