My whole stash is now a rust color- help! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-16-2011, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well, I'm a dope. I've turned my whole stash into this mess of ugly, dingy, rust coloured diapers. I made pre-folds out of some old flannel bedsheets. They're great and have made a good indent in the cost of our CD'ing.

But they were dark red flannel. The sheets were so old it just never occurred to me that the colour would bleed. For 3 months now I've washed these prefolds in with the rest of my diaper stash, which includes Thirsties covers, BumGenius Pocket Diapers, Kawaii Baby Pocket Diapers, and a few Happy Heinies pocket diapers (all with inserts).

The other day I looked at my stash on the shelf and realized everything was this mega ugly rust colour. The inserts are an ugly brownish red (they were white). Even the white areas of my Thirsties covers are this awful colour. The Kawaii baby diapers, which were once blue, now look a dingy grey.

Even the bottom of my washing machine (we have a portable Heier) has this colour on some of the plastic parts. Yikes.

Is there any way I can get this staining out? I've tried sunning with no effect.

I'm not sure what to do. I know my diapers are, essentially, there to catch urine and feces, so what's the big deal? Call me vain, but I want the diapers to look semi-cute again, like they did when I bought them.

Is there any hope? Has this happened to anyone else?

"The Mothers are the brave ones." - Call the Midwife

#2 of 5 Old 08-21-2011, 06:04 PM

I dunno... you might just have to live with it :(

Have you tried peroxide or one of those other fancy "oxygen bleach" stain removers?

mom to: M born Aug 2011 & K 2yo

#3 of 5 Old 08-21-2011, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Are you sure it's your prefolds? How is the rest of your white laundry looking? I'm just thinking maybe it's your water - possibly your hot water tank if it has rust settling in the bottom of the tank.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#4 of 5 Old 08-23-2011, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Huh...good question. We take our regular laundry to the laundromat so I've got nothing to compare. Maybe it is the water in our apartment!

Does oxiclean hurt PLU?

"The Mothers are the brave ones." - Call the Midwife

#5 of 5 Old 08-26-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partaria View Post

Does oxiclean hurt PLU?

Many diaper companies recommend oxygen bleaches. I've never had an issue myself...

mom to: M born Aug 2011 & K 2yo

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page