Disposable Diapers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 08-17-2011, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are traveling for 4 days and I need to buy some sposies for the trip (it's not worth it to take cloth for such a short time!) 

What are the best "eco-friendly" diapers in your experience? How "pure and natural" are the new Huggies Natural diapers?

Also DS is a super-chunky thighed, 20 pounder. Should I get size 3 or 4??

Thanks for the help!!

hijab.gif Learning to... sewmachine.gif andphotosmile2.gif with mybabyf.gifby my side!

#2 of 15 Old 08-17-2011, 11:57 AM

Comforts by Nature (I think that's what they're called, Kroger sells them..?) sell a chlorine-free brand and they're quite cheap, but I'm not sure about their biodegradable levels, I only bought them once. When I was using sposies during the move I used these... http://www.greendiaperstore.com/NatureBabycare.html ... they are more expensive but definitely eco-friendly and organic. My DD is 19.5 lbs with thick legs and fits the 4 well, a 3 would be way, way too tight for her, so I'd imagine the same is true for your DS. HTH! 

sleepytime.gifjog.gifSleepy, running, wife to superhero.gif DH 08/09 -  Mama to jog.gif DS 8/08 & love.gif DD 1/11

"Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. " - Japanese Proverb

#3 of 15 Old 08-17-2011, 01:23 PM

Oh yeah, I tried the Comforts for Nature brand before we moved her into cloth. I don't know how genuinely green they are either, but wanted to say I remember a thread that answered this question (discussing different brands) in the cloth diapering forum--it was a few months ago but I bet you could find more info there! GL!

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#4 of 15 Old 08-17-2011, 03:04 PM

We often use g-diapers when we travel. The covers are cloth so they're reusable and the inserts are biodegradable and can also be flushed. They work really great and don't contain any plastic or chemicals and we feel good about using them. They're a good cloth/disposable hybrid and are just as convenient as disposable sine you toss or flush the soiled part.

Casey - Mama to my little lovey girl 6-2-07 and my littler lovey girl 11-16-10!
#5 of 15 Old 08-19-2011, 03:52 PM

When we need a disposable, we use the Nature diapers someone linked upthread, and definitely get a four. My son is 18 lbs and still wears the 3s, but they are tight. They claim to go to 28 lbs but no way is that right.

#6 of 15 Old 08-23-2011, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
We tried the huggies ones. The second DS peed they smelled TERRIBLE. not as bad as the regular ones but bad enough. We used 7th generation also and much preferred them for the rare times we need sposies.

sent from my phone using tapatalk, please excuse typos.

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#7 of 15 Old 08-24-2011, 05:25 AM

Don't do Huggies Pure and Natural -one they aren't really I think - and two they don't hold much pee. I know a lot of mamas use 7th Generation.

As for size, do a 4. My 22 lb 21 month old fits a size 3, but barely :) he's a long lean guy though.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#8 of 15 Old 09-05-2011, 04:05 AM

We haves used Huggies pure and natural for years, when needed. The 7th Gen were leaky and papery/stiff just not soft like the Huggies.

I know this is the opposite of other folks' experiences. I'm not sure why.

#9 of 15 Old 09-27-2011, 01:52 PM

We use cloth diapers when we are home but I admit that I LOVE G diapers with disposable insert.  They are super-absorbent.  We use them all the time for travel, including camping and backpacking because they are so light, can be buried or even burned.  For an overnight diaper you use 2 inserts and it works so well. Leaks are rare in our experience.

#10 of 15 Old 09-27-2011, 02:22 PM

I use the Flip disposable inserts when we can't use cloth. I use them in whatever cover I have. They are the same size as a tri-folded prefold so they fit fine.

#11 of 15 Old 09-27-2011, 03:08 PM

We use seventh generation on trips over here (mainly camping). As a testament to their absorbancy rate, when we went camping last week I lost the little plug that holds the water in our cooler and I put one of those diapers up to the hole to catch the water to keep it from leaking on to my back seat and when I "changed" it the next day the diaper was swollen up HUGE. There seriously had to be 3-4 cups of water in there. My seat wasnt wet. However, I do find that they run a little big in the inner thigh area. DD is 21 lbs and a size 3 is almost too big for her. We've had a couple of poos come out the side.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#12 of 15 Old 10-01-2011, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Unfortunally we haven't found an ecofriendly diaper that doesn't give my baby horrid rashes.. nature babycare comes closest 7th generation is the worst.. I do like hybrids cloth with sposie inserts but its not always the best choice convience wise.. I end up using eaither LUVs or pampers baby dry...

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#13 of 15 Old 10-06-2011, 09:07 AM

octobermom,
Have you tried Huggies Pure and Naturals?

They arent really eco friendly, but i have found them to be better than the rest as far as rashes go.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#14 of 15 Old 10-08-2011, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

she did okay with them we leaked out at night  a lot but they were overall decent rash wise way better than others.
he did okay with them 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

octobermom,
Have you tried Huggies Pure and Naturals?
They arent really eco friendly, but i have found them to be better than the rest as far as rashes go.

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#15 of 15 Old 10-08-2011, 10:20 AM

Agreed with some of the others, why not use any of the several AI2s/Hybrids out there with disposable inserts? It'll also cut down on the bulk of storing and tossing because they're just pads instead of entire diapers. :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page