10 SImple Ways to Cut Down on Disposables - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-24-2011, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sponsored by Reuseit

A Message from MDC: 

We are always on the lookout for helpful articles and tips on how to reduce our eco-footprint. Today we have a plethora of options available that add fun and convenience to this long standing effort.  We have asked our sponsor, Reuseit to share some of their great tips with us on reducing the use of disposable items. 

MDC would like to know, have you started to make the switch to reusable items?  If so, which have been your favorites?

A Message from Reuseit:

"Join our movement and make it one of your goals to waste less this year. To help, we've highlighted 10 simple, effective ways to cut down on use-and-toss items - and, we're giving you the tools to do it! We chose these products based on their impact and practicality to help you consume less (and save money). 

Screen shot 2011-08-24 at 1.13.44 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-08-24 at 1.14.18 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-08-24 at 1.15.06 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-08-24 at 1.16.06 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-08-24 at 1.17.02 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-08-24 at 1.17.53 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-08-24 at 1.18.49 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-08-24 at 1.19.28 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-08-24 at 1.20.00 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-08-24 at 1.20.31 PM.png"

A Message from MDC:

Don't forget to help other moms out by sharing information.  If you have started the switch to reusable items share your favorites with the community.  What do you feel are the essentials?

Lastly, Reuseit is offering a $5 Off Discount with the code: MOTHERING when you spend $50 or more from now through Sept. 20th.

Cheers!

Chris

MDC

#2 of 9 Old 08-24-2011, 03:45 PM

Great list! We personally use To-Go-Ware for utensils and to carry our food, and reusable bags for groceries, but could definitely incorporate more of these other things into our daily lives.

I would add a key waste reducer for parents: Cut down on disposable diapers!

Either use cloth and wash yourself...or try doing away with a full-time dependence on diapers by doing some amount of Elimination Communication, or infant pottying, with your baby!

Andrea :)

Chris Elias28 likes this.

Andrea Olson, DS 2.5 yrs, DD due 10/9/13

Author | EC Simplified: Infant Potty Training Made Easy

Owner | GoDiaperFree.com

[I teach parents of 0-20 month old babies how to stop diapering
full-time and how to avoid...

#3 of 9 Old 08-24-2011, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We do all those things! Getting rid of foil and plastic wrap is hard when you need to wrap something up. We don't use it for covering bowls but things like freezing pie dough and stuff like that. I want to experiment with some beeswax cloth. Getting rid of paper towels has been harder too. We don't use them anymore but the rags we were using have gotten really greasy and can't seem to get them clean anymore.

I don't understand what #6 is shrug.gif
#4 of 9 Old 08-25-2011, 12:01 PM

I think they mean to not use "energy" drinks that come with so much waste - the disposable aluminum and plastic cans/bottles - and also to just drink water instead! :)

We put electrolyte tablets into our water when we need an energy drink.

Andrea Olson, DS 2.5 yrs, DD due 10/9/13

Author | EC Simplified: Infant Potty Training Made Easy

Owner | GoDiaperFree.com

[I teach parents of 0-20 month old babies how to stop diapering
full-time and how to avoid...

#5 of 9 Old 08-27-2011, 03:55 PM

Adding a cup of plain vinegar to the rinse water when doing a wash, means items dry softer in the dryer or on the clothes line. I invested in sturdy canvas shopping bags which I am using a dozen years later. They are washable and can line dried. Also have a good water filter pitcher for tap water. And we drink more water when there is a pitcher full in the refrigerator.

Haven't used paper towels in years. Instead we use small terry cloth towels and wash clothes in the kitchen for wiping up messes. And we use finger towels that we bought via eBay in bulk, in place of paper napkins for everyday use. Trust me when summer arrives and we are BBQing more either chicken or vegetarian foods, terry cloth works great for all the sticky sauces etc. We even use washable pads for menses.

I also use wide mouth pint Mason jars I use for canning, to store left over soup, which family members take to work with crackers, for reheating for lunch. IF you use brown paper lunch bags, try and be gentle and reuse them. One brown paper bag can last over a week for lunch if treated carefully.
#6 of 9 Old 09-02-2011, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolip View Post

We do all those things! Getting rid of foil and plastic wrap is hard when you need to wrap something up. We don't use it for covering bowls but things like freezing pie dough and stuff like that. I want to experiment with some beeswax cloth. Getting rid of paper towels has been harder too. We don't use them anymore but the rags we were using have gotten really greasy and can't seem to get them clean anymore.

I don't understand what #6 is shrug.gif

Hi Toolip,

Vaska makes an excellent natural detergent that could help you with the grease on those towels. You can find them at Target. 

As for #6, its referring to kicking a sports drink habit by replacing sports drinks with Nuun U Hydration Tablets.  These are 16 tablets (packed in on reusable/ recyclable tube) that dissolve in your water bottle, turning your water into a sports drinks. Bottled sports drinks are really popular with some people, but they can add up to a ton of extra plastic bottles.  This item reduces that waste. 

Cheers,

Chris

#7 of 9 Old 09-05-2011, 12:15 PM

the Divacup.

#8 of 9 Old 09-06-2011, 07:51 AM

We use cloth diapers and mama cloth, as well as waste free lunches when we go out and about.

#9 of 9 Old 09-22-2011, 07:30 AM

Just an update on this post - reuseit.com is currently having a Fall Clearance Sale with items up to 60% off, so it's a great time to pick up reusable alternatives to all the disposables mentioned in this thread! reuseit brand lunch bags are also all 50% off while supplies last! treehugger.gif

reuseit.com
Reusables for every part of your life.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page