CDing through a (possibly long) power outage? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-26-2011, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm assuming that mamas up and down the East Coast are in the same boat as me. With Hurricane Irene on her way, the power could be out for who knows how long. If your power comes from the infamous Pepco (Washington D.C. area), experience tells us that even if we don't get a full blown hurricane / tropical storm, all it takes is one healthy gust, and *poof* buh bye electricity, see you in a week or more.

So...who here is switching to paper? I'm washing a load tonight, and wondering if I want to go buy a pack or two of Pampers to use until the power comes back on. Otherwise, it could be stink city.

There's always hand washing...

So what are your plans?

#2 of 10 Old 08-26-2011, 04:59 PM

Thanks for posting - I would have forgotten to add "wash all CDs and wipes" to my Prepare for the Storm list of things to do tomorrow!

Much appreciated! thumb.gif

(I have enough dipes and wipes to get us through 5-6 days, but I will likely buy a small pack of disposables in case we go longer without power.)

#3 of 10 Old 08-26-2011, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioGardener View Post

(I have enough dipes and wipes to get us through 5-6 days, but I will likely buy a small pack of disposables in case we go longer without power.)

Yeah...I'm not worried about running out of diapers. I mean, just about any piece of fabric can be a diaper---so I feel like the supply won't be an issue. But how long can you can go without washing, before the dipes are so disgusting that it's just not worth it? Can they still come clean, no matter how long they've been sitting around? That's my concern, more than running out of dipes before the power is restored.

#4 of 10 Old 08-26-2011, 08:11 PM

If I were you I'd get some backup plastics in the house... Just in case! You should do all your laundry before a storm anyway. Then fill up your washer w cold water and baking soda. You can use that to store dirty diapers for a few days if your power is out. The other option would be to make sur you have quarters for the laundromat. It looks like the storm is weakening a bit so hopefully we should not get it too bad. I lived all my life on the Gulf Coast before moving up here so I've been through a few of these! Stay safe!

hijab.gif Learning to... sewmachine.gif andphotosmile2.gif with mybabyf.gifby my side!

#5 of 10 Old 08-27-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilliepepper View Post

Yeah...I'm not worried about running out of diapers. I mean, just about any piece of fabric can be a diaper---so I feel like the supply won't be an issue. But how long can you can go without washing, before the dipes are so disgusting that it's just not worth it? Can they still come clean, no matter how long they've been sitting around? That's my concern, more than running out of dipes before the power is restored.

Mine are OK for 5 days, as DS uses EC for almost all poops, and about 1/2 his pees. So the inserts get a really strong urine smell after 5 days, but it does come out with a good hot wash, Country Save detergent and a vinegar rinse. And drying in the sun. I only left them for 5 days once (because of illness) - hopefully they won't have to sit any longer this time!

#6 of 10 Old 08-28-2011, 02:53 AM

I think flats definitely, but perhaps also prefolds, should be okay if you just rinse and hand wash and hang to dry. I would invest in some long rubber gloves, a big plastic bucket and some hand washing detergent if you don't already have some at hand. Oh, and watch a hand washing tutorial before the storm hits in case you've never done proper, old fashioned hand washing of truly dirty things before. Because you might freshen up a bra or your wool socks by just soaking, swishing and rinsing but to get dirty things clean it takes a LOT of working the laundry actively by rubbing,

I would definitely not even consider using any AIO. Better to use disposables for a week then ruin them from not being able to wash them in time, right?

I'm hoping Irene will not hit any of you that badly.

#7 of 10 Old 08-29-2011, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks all for the replies! I especially appreciate the hand washing advice---that may come in handy sometime. As it turned out, we barely even got a tropical storm where I live and we never lost power. I was so ready this time, LOL!

I don't have many flats and the ones I do have are the sorta junky Gerber ones...but that's something else I'll remember for the future. I could always double them up for sufficient absorbency.

Thanks again!

#8 of 10 Old 08-29-2011, 11:48 AM

Hi,

Our family had the same thoughts... we use prefolds + covers.  We had two options.  First, we have a Wonder Wash (a hand crank non-electric washer), which we use now as a prewash pretty much on a daily basis with our diapers (takes about 10-15 minutes), then we do "real laundry" every three days or so.  Given our experience Wonder Washing the diapers, prefolds really don't get as clean as you would like before re-using, unless there isn't any poop.  So, we ran out and got a small package of sposies.  Which we didn't use.  And are now sitting on mydresser staring me down :(

Sigh.

Anka

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

#9 of 10 Old 08-29-2011, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

You could probably return the sposies. I bought a couple of packages on Saturday, which I didn't end up using, and I'll probably return them. Depending on the store, they might not even require a receipt.

#10 of 10 Old 08-30-2011, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkaJones View Post

Hi,

Our family had the same thoughts... we use prefolds + covers.  We had two options.  First, we have a Wonder Wash (a hand crank non-electric washer), which we use now as a prewash pretty much on a daily basis with our diapers (takes about 10-15 minutes), then we do "real laundry" every three days or so.  Given our experience Wonder Washing the diapers, prefolds really don't get as clean as you would like before re-using, unless there isn't any poop.  So, we ran out and got a small package of sposies.  Which we didn't use.  And are now sitting on mydresser staring me down :(

Sigh.

Anka

I'm sure as long as the package is unopened, it will be okay to return it. :)

Anyhow, as for the Wonder Wash not making your prefolds clean enough, it isn't surprising. Considering it takes an ordinary washing machine, with higher spin power and better agitation of the clothes, closer to an hour to clean dirty things properly. There's a reason that they had wash days in the old days. Because really, it takes LOTS of time to clean laundry properly by hand when really cleaning them, and not just freshening them up.

p.s. I'm glad non of you had to worry about it other than theoretically.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page