which prefolds should i get? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-07-2011, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

the diaper service which was gifted to us for four months is about to run out, so it's time to buy some prefolds for our 16 lb nearly 4-month-old ds.

i've narrowed it down to little lions and gmd.  looking at gmd mediums (the unbleached or perhaps the organic) and the little lions regular sized unbleached.  i'm leaning towards little lions because of the price, but i just noticed that they're 4X6X4.  the capris are 4X8X4, but they seem a little on the small size.

hoping to get some recommendations from those who have used these.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#2 of 5 Old 09-08-2011, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would suggest gmd unbleached. I like how unbleached hid stains better. I also think they hold up better. I use a snappi and love the width of gmd

I would also recommend going with the brown size. I gave my sister my old gmd yellows and they are getting small on her average size 5m old. She can no longer do a twist fold. I went straight from yellow to brown at 9m. Wanted to get them sooner, but they were out of stock.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#3 of 5 Old 09-09-2011, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the response, but i actually ended up going with the little lions.  ordered them wednesday night and they arrived today.  nice, quick turnaround...i like that.

i ended up going with the premium unbleached indian seconds because they were only $12/dozen.  i figured, even if i hate them, no big loss.  anyway, they look pretty good (would never know they were seconds).  washing them right now, so we'll see how they turn out.

thanks again.  i might try gmd in the future.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#4 of 5 Old 09-10-2011, 05:49 AM

I know you said you made your purchase, but you might want to ask the service about when they sell theirs as "rags" (still VERY usable!!).  Our local service just went through and pulled out all their rags and I bought 50 toddler sized for $15 (yes, $.30/each!!) and they were selling infant sized for 100/$25 = $.25/each.  Extremely minor staining on a few and a few loose threads, but basically better than my current stash.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#5 of 5 Old 09-11-2011, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

good idea.  i did ask the service if they sold their diapers (they do for between $15 and $24/dozen which i thought was reasonable), but never thought to ask if they sold the ones they no longer use.  the service uses bleached chinese prefolds and i guess i was just looking to try something new (although if i could get them for as little as you're suggesting, i'd probably use them). 

thanks for the tip.  i may try that in the future.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page