Dirty Diapers Smell up our room- need a solution before we have to close the windows! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-20-2011, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We've been CDing for a year using prefolds and covers with a pail liner (dry). We recently moved into a one bedroom apartment and the only place to keep the diapers is in our bedroom. There isn't even a closet we can stick it in. But now our bedroom really smells like urine and it is making it difficult to sleep in there.

I've searched the archives and online and can't find any tips for this problem. We are currently using arm and hammer baking soda diaper pail pellets in the bag, but that isn't helping at all. 

Anyone have any suggestions for us!

#2 of 11 Old 09-20-2011, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Might want to try using a trashcan with a lid and wash more often
Rinsing the diaper out as soon as you take it off the baby also helps

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#3 of 11 Old 09-20-2011, 10:24 AM

Rinse the diaper as soon as you change it, even if it is just wet. I don't know about the pellets, you might just try sprinkling regular baking soda on there. Also, most pail liners have a little tab of fabric sewn to the side that you put drops of essential oils on to help with smell issues.

#4 of 11 Old 09-21-2011, 08:32 AM

For us using a can with a lid really really helped.  We also wash every other day, not sure how often you do.

#5 of 11 Old 09-21-2011, 08:46 AM

The Fabulous Wet Bag (in size Large) made a huge difference in decreasing the odor for us. It really keeps the smell in, and you just wash it with the diapers. We also use it for camping and travel. At home, we got rid of our pail and just use this wet bag.:
http://www.bummis.com/ca/en/6.php

#6 of 11 Old 09-21-2011, 08:50 AM

We used a dry pail approach and mixed regular powder baking soda with essential oil to create a fragrance (sometimes we used sweet orange, sometimes lavender) and them dumped it directly on the diaper before putting it in the pail.  We also used a wicker pail so that the dipes could dry out.  I found wet diapers to be much smellier... but we never used a tightly sealed wet bag or anything. 

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
#7 of 11 Old 09-21-2011, 08:50 AM

I started using a pail with a really tight fitting lid (it's actually a recycled cat food bin!) You might also consider keeping the diaper pail outside, by the back door, if you have one. We have a really small apartment as well and went through a phase of super stinky diappies (before I stripped them.) When space is tight, the smell definitely travels fast! 

~may all beings be free from suffering~
#8 of 11 Old 09-26-2011, 09:02 PM

We use a pail w/ a lid, and also we personally don't use pail liners. I found that pail liners made the pail smell worse for some reason, for us. So I use a cheap brand of regular plastic, disposable garbage pail liners. We spray each diaper with Bac-out when it comes off and use a lot of baking soda (pure b.s., not the disks). All in all, the smell's not that bad anymore.

caffix.gif
#9 of 11 Old 09-27-2011, 01:07 PM

We kept our diapers in our room for a while too. We keep the dirty diapers in a Sterilite container like this one: http://www.target.com/p/Sterilite-Medium-Clip-Box-Green-Set-of-4/-/A-13168068.  We haven't had any problems with stink; I just throw 'em in ready to wash, no soaking or anything. I wash every other day-ish for my two three month old boys and then I wipe the container with a clorox wipe. Good luck!

Mom to Parker and Isaac 6/23/11  familybed2.gifslingtwin.gifcd.gif nocirc.gif

697/2012

#10 of 11 Old 09-28-2011, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I tried tying the bag and using baking powder and essential oils. It did help a little, but once I closed the windows it was all I could smell and made me cough all night. I think our problem is that since our LO is older she is using less diapers and we only need to wash them every 4 days or so. 

#11 of 11 Old 09-29-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorelai2010 View Post

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I tried tying the bag and using baking powder and essential oils. It did help a little, but once I closed the windows it was all I could smell and made me cough all night. I think our problem is that since our LO is older she is using less diapers and we only need to wash them every 4 days or so. 

Oh, yeah I TOTALLY notice a difference in smell when I wash every 2-3 days or every 4 days. I know it can be impractical to wash every other day, especially if you don't have a lot of diapers. We're in that boat because we use sposies part-time. But it's like, you have to ask do you want the smell or the inconvenience of washing? usually I just go ahead and wash them in the lowest possible cycle size setting on our washing machine.

caffix.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page