Cloth diapers... Your faves? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 10-12-2011, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi all, its been a while since I've been here, my youngest is now six. My sister in law is now expecting, and I'd like to help her out with some diapers. I'm looking for something relatively inexpensive, and easy to use for a first time mom. What are your favorites?
Kathy
#2 of 21 Old 10-19-2011, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would check with a cd store in your area. They can show you all the different types.  I use one-size pocket diapers. They are not the cheapest but they are easy, My favorite brands are bum genius, rumparooz, and fuzzibunz. However I am having a few issues with the snaps breaking on my fuzzibunz. The company seems to be replacing them for me. 

If you have a tiny baby the bum genius may not be a great fit until they're older though.

#3 of 21 Old 10-20-2011, 07:55 AM

We tried a few brands, I like the Grovia hybrid because I can go all cloth but "cheat" with flushable inserts if needed. Also, they are an "All in One" which saves money in the future. Maybe buy her a few and let her hold them and play with them then pick one she likes, you can always return unused diapers which have all the packaging and tags. That is so nice of you to help her :)

Wife to DH  dh_malesling.GIF Momma to twin girls slingtwin.gif cloth diapering, no vaxing, family bed, organic living, eating and wearing family! treehugger.gif

#4 of 21 Old 10-20-2011, 06:06 PM

The Bummis Organic Cotton Diaper Kit  is a great starter kit! It contains everything you need plus a User Guide. If that's more than you want to spend, she might like some Snugglebottoms fitted diapers to use with Bummis Super Whisper Wraps or the new Bummis Super Lite economy covers. Flushable diaper liners are also helpful to have, especially during the newborn stage. A few one-size pocket diapers would be a nice treat if you think she'd like one-piece diapering -- we have both bumGenius 4.0 and Easy Fits that fit most babies from 8 - 35 lbs. If you have any questions or need help matching up diaper and cover sizes, just let us know! For savings on orders, please see our Coupon Codes via the link on our homepage :)

She's lucky to have such a nice and supportive sister-in-law!

#5 of 21 Old 10-23-2011, 04:08 PM

I like thirsties duo wraps with prefolds.  We snappied when DS was a newborn.  It was really easy,even for a first time mom and they are so easy to wash/dry.

Anka

Midwesterner04 likes this.

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

#6 of 21 Old 10-23-2011, 04:33 PM

Kissaluvs fitters and thirsties covers are great for newborns. When dd hit about a month old we switched to bumgenius 4.0 pockets. Love these diapers!

I have a friend who is using prefolds and covers for her newborn, but we splurged and bought her kissaluvs because she wouldn't buy those herself. They are so much easier to deal with at 3am!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adrienne belly.gif - Loving my DHguitar.gif, our daughter Harper Emaline ROTFLMAO.gif (3/2011), and maybe a baby?? jaw2.gif (5/2013)

#7 of 21 Old 10-25-2011, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkaJones View Post

I like thirsties duo wraps with prefolds.  We snappied when DS was a newborn.  It was really easy,even for a first time mom and they are so easy to wash/dry.

Anka

I agree with this. I started with prefolds/thirsties and they never leaked and were really easy to take care of! I have acquired other diapers along the way that I really like but nothing else that I have is as easy to wash and dry and that was of huge importance since you have to do it every other day or so!

Some fitteds would be nice to add in for overnight, you wouldn't need very many. I really love Tiny Birds organic velour fitteds. I tried a tester one and it is so soft and so absorbent even for my almost 2 year old who is a very heavy wetter! I was really glad I tried it!

Here is their website
http://www.tinybirdsorganics.com/organiccotton/diapers.html

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#8 of 21 Old 10-27-2011, 10:04 AM

When DD was a newborn I adored my MotherEase Sandys in the XS size.  They are fitteds with snaps and between the diaper and the cover they held in every poop explosion!  The popular opinion seems to be that they stay softer than the Kissaluv  fitteds, plus they are extremely durable (mine were bought used, then DD used them, and they still look nearly new).

Once she got bigger I switched to MotherEase One Size fitteds as well as some FuzziBunz and Kawaii pockets and that system is working great for us too, but starting with a newborn stash may be a good idea before investing to much to see how they like it.  Some diaper stores also have a "variety trial pack" loan program so you can get a bunch of different diapers and see what is best for them.

#9 of 21 Old 10-27-2011, 10:22 AM

I like diaper rite or imagine prefolds with a snappy and a wool cover. I love disana wool covers and my eco baby (etsy shop). For car rides we use bummis whisper pants for covers. They are super thin, so the baby fits in the seat better.
I'm a huge fan of prefolds cause they are cheap and easy to wash!

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#10 of 21 Old 10-27-2011, 01:58 PM

I love Fuzzibunz....they're easy, soft, and durable, too. If you take care of them they can last easily through multiple kids.

I also use a variety of prefolds and flats in covers (Bummis and Thirsties are the best imo, and are affordable). But I only ever tri-fold or pad-fold....I really dislike snappis and pins, and think they make everything way too wet and complicated. YMMV though. 

caffix.gif
#11 of 21 Old 10-27-2011, 02:11 PM

I really like Blueberry pocket diapers made  by swaddlebees and the tiny tush elite. they are so durable and made in the USA. I don't like fuzzibunz. (i seem to be the only one though.)  though the fit is good, the snaps are constantly breaking. i have multiple missing snaps on almost all of my fuzzibunz diapers. if they hadn't been a gift i would have sent them back and asked for a refund. i just don't feel like the quality is a good as the others that i like. i've had the blueberry and tiny tush diapers twice as long and they have no broken snaps. other than the pockets i use prefold diapers with Imse Vimse covers, both wool and cotton. As far as covers go, i wouldn't use anything other than Imse Vimse. they have the best fit and they are well made.

#12 of 21 Old 11-04-2011, 09:19 AM

I also just got a couple of blueberry one size pockets that I like. And update on fuzzibunz, while I have had some issue with the snaps breaking I really like their customer service. They not only replaced my diapers with the new elite one size pocket diapers they sent extra liners and a new hanging diaper pail. 

#13 of 21 Old 06-08-2012, 09:34 PM

In my experience, online stores are a great way to go for cloth diapers as they offer unbeatable price, reliability and quality. Personally my favorite diapers site is www.giraffita.com but well, that is only my choice. You can give it a try.

#14 of 21 Old 06-09-2012, 07:46 AM

I have some glowbug pockets and really like them. I'm not sure how they would fit newborns but they do have two rows of crossover snaps so it looks like the waist would get pretty tiny. I have a bumgenius pocket but prefer the glowbugs for much easier stuffing and double gussets. I also have an applecheeks cover that you can use as a cover you air out between uses or as a pocket and LOVE it with the applecheeks bamboo insert. I have the size 2 (DD is 14 months) but the size 1 looks like it should work right from the get go. I prefer flats to prefolds myself since the bummed prefolds I have are so bulky with the newspaper fold but DD won't lie down for the snappi. I have two bumboo fitteds and wish I had more. Also mother ease fitteds that I love and I'm making wool covers for them (wool is amazing!) so we use the pockets mostly while out and fitteds at home. For wraps I find the hummus super whisper wrap kind of thick and prefer the super lite (and applecheeks) with my flats.

I would also recommend not getting many of the same size so I would caution against any starter packs. Bummed does offer three prefolds and one wrap in a pack that for me is more appropriate if she is not set on a brand and type. Depending on budget, I would probably get a PUL wrap, a couple of prefolds or a few flats, a one size pocket or AIO and maybe make a wool cover if you knit, crochet or sew.
#15 of 21 Old 06-09-2012, 11:08 PM

We love our Green Mountain prefolds & Thirsties covers!  We use snappis and the combo is super easy (and no need for the fancy folds you sometimes see mentioned...seriously, my DH was worried, so we just YouTubed somebody putting on a cloth diaper and followed that.  Easiest thing ever).  They wash & dry super easy (we didn't have a washing machine for the first 6 months, even) and have held up really well to a whole lot of abuse.  And prefolds & covers are about the cheapest option there is.

We did splurge and buy the green mountain diapers, which are a bit more expensive than some of the other brands, but they're great and I'm sure will last through several kiddos.  We also splurged and bought multiple sizes (XS, S & M...our DD will be in M for a long time yet so not sure if we'll need another).  I think you could make it work with just S & M if your baby was large, but our DD was 6 lbs 1 oz when she was born, and I'm so glad we had the XS for the first two months!

Mom to the wacky and wonderful Kalyani (August 2011) femalesling.GIF

#16 of 21 Old 07-12-2012, 02:23 PM

Best Bottoms are hands down my fav and I've tried prefolds, fitteds, pockets, and Flips. They're economical, super cute covers, and very easy to use. Several different option and sizes for the inserts. I sold my Fuzzibunz to replace with Best Bottoms.They ship free from nickisdiapers.com

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#17 of 21 Old 07-18-2012, 08:51 PM

I done tons of brands/types over the yrs CDing the kids.  My all time fav. at least for convenience sakes has been BG.  I got these with this last baby as DH was really reluctant to cd again with prefolds/covers (green mountain prefolds and thirsties and prorap covers)  The BG one size are pretty much just like a disposable (we do velcro) and are extremely easy to use, I stuff them while I veg out watching tv.  cottonbabies.com will periodically have 2nd sales.  The 2nds are new diapers that didnt meet their quality control.  In all the time I have bought 2nds there hasnt been anything majorly wront with them.  Mine have had minor physical "defects" like crooked sewing seams, light dirt smudges on pkging, the velcro was slightly crooked, longer or smaller but not drastically something like 1/2 inch at most.  Like I said they were new NEVER used so they were a great deal and now that they are in my stash you really cant tell the difference at all.  I think the BG are really economical for us because I found DH stopped reaching for disposables (i did keep some on hand for outings/emergencies) because they were super easy to use.  Plus they allowed us to size up or down easily.  With my prefolds/covers were sized so when the baby outgrew a size I needed more covers and new prefolds when they reached the wt. max. 

#18 of 21 Old 07-30-2012, 06:22 PM
myk

right now i'm loving my Bummis prefolds and wraps - either bummis super whisper wraps or thirsties duo, which i like even better. i also absolutely love my AMP duo pockets which can also be used as an all in two. i didn't like happy heinys pockets, primarily because of the microfibre inserts. i MUCH prefer hemp or bamboo inserts, and i also prefer snaps over velcro but the happy heinys snap version just plain has too many snaps (4 snaps at the waist to do up on a wiggly toddler is too much).

i can't get GMD here but if i did, i might like them better than the bummis because they're sized to fit the specific wraps with no foldover.

January 2011
#19 of 21 Old 08-08-2012, 01:42 PM

I recently started using cloth diapers on my neice at nighttime, while we are potty training, and I absolutely LOVE Fuzzi Bunz cloth diapers!  I got some of the older style ones off of Ebay and found that they were great!  I especially like that they had a soft fleece lining to them and that I could stuff them with a prefold diaper easily.  We have 5 of them right now: a white one with bug print, a green one with frog print, a lavender one, a yellow one, and a hot pink one.

#20 of 21 Old 08-17-2012, 06:39 PM

I love pocket diapers, and my favorite brand is a WAHM brand called Three Monkeys Cloth Diapers. Big brand diapers, my favorite are Blueberry, but they aren't cheap.

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#21 of 21 Old 09-05-2012, 06:24 PM

I'm just getting started with cloth diapering, but I'm liking the SoftBums Echos - super trim, available in aplix, and leg elastics are adjustable for infinite (almost) sizing!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page