Mysterious rash with Bummies Supers.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-17-2011, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My little one is 2 1/2 weeks old and has hAd a mysterious rash along the top line of her diaper at belly button and around the gusseted area around her legs.
Red, raised pustule type bumps, looks like little pimples...
It is only on the areas where edge of diaper cover, Bummies supers, touches her skin.
Curious if anyone else has experienced this?
I wash covers by hand in the same detergent as prefolds... Ecos, and she has no redness or irritation anywhere else.
And am hyper vigilant about rinsing... Anyone else experience this or have any
Ideas, or advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2011, 12:22 PM

Yep. My son has had issues with this since birth. Any PUL/waterproof cover, except all-nylon covers, do this to him. Bummis SWW were a big offender - covers with exposed PUL (Thirsties, SuperBrites etc) were even worse though.

When I switched to nylon, fleece, and wool covers, the rash vanished within a week or so. For out of the house, when PUL was really a good thing, I covered the affected areas with lanolin first (I wouldn't do this with a pocket or AIO with a fleece inner; just with natural-fibre diapers.

The issue for DS is, I have found, an issue of breathability. He can wear fleece next to his skin as long as the skin can breath - I have a couple of all-fleece pockets that are fine. So it's not synthetics per se that's the problem - it's air circulation.

We have found through trial and error that DS can tolerate a few hours in PUL every day as long as he gets lots of "breathable" time - so at home he's usually in wool or fleece, and out of the house we use Bummis Whisper pants/Bummis original wraps or g-diapers with a cloth insert.

Do you have wool or fleece covers you could try?

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
Old 10-17-2011, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately I do not have any other covers, my sister is sending me her wool covers
And have been in the mail system for two weeks.
So you experienced the rash very localized just at the edges/ gussets?
I have tried lanolin, as well as other zinc containing rash barriers and it does not
Make a difference. Just gave her a sun bath and am gonna go with out cover for the day and see where that takes us.
A question re wool since you are using... I have read that they do not need to be washed very often... How exactly do you deal with poopy leaks? Just rinse with water
and leave stain? I love the idea of wool but it is such an investment financially.
Right now I am using just 12 prefolds and 3 covers and it works good.
How many wool covers are sufficient?
Old 10-18-2011, 01:43 PM

Yep, he got the rash (still does sometimes at 20 months) just around the gusset and sometimes around the waist. Around the gusset it sometimes came up as a raised "burn" that would then peel, but mostly it was these non-yeasty red dots.

I used primarily elastic-legged fitteds; very little poop ever made it onto the wool. With prefolds, it's a bit more likely. Yes, I'd spot-clean until the wool lost its lanolization.

It depends on how high-performing your diapers are (the more they absorb, the drier your wool stays) but I would rotate about 3 wool covers a day.

The other thing I used a lot (still do) were Old Navy Performance Fleece pants. They're not car-seat worthy, but for lying around the house, they're breathable and a fitted works well underneath (wouldn't trust a prefold with these as the pants wouldn't catch anything).

Wool IS expensive. Do you know anyone who can knit? Most of mine are hand-knit. Or you can find them second-hand too, which cuts the price significantly.

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif

User Tag List