Stink Issues with Hard Water - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-23-2011, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We let the salts run out of out water softener duh.gif and lately DD's diapers have had this horrible STINK and have been giving her a rash.  We have CD'd since she was born and her brother before her (though we lived in a different area with different water with him).  She's 14 months and I haven't had any problems that some OxyClean hasn't solved, until now.  

We use mostly one size pockets, with some fitteds, prefolds, and covers.  I wash with Dawn in the pre wash cycle on cold, and then wash with store brand free and clear on hot with an extra rinse.  Once  month I use OxyClean.  This has always worked until the past few months that we have been without the water softener. We have a front loader.

Today I washed as usual-but added some bleach, thinking it might be a bacteria thing-,  stripped with Dawn, rinsed 4 times until there were no bubbles, and they still smell nasty!!!

How can I get the mineral build up out of these things?  Yes, the softener is full of salt again and has been running.  

Mama of 4 beautiful little ones

Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better, it's not.

--Dr. Suess    

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 10-23-2011, 10:02 PM

Have you tried boiling them for 30 minutes? We just went through this whole ordeal (really hard water here!). Also, maybe try a laundry soap formulated for hard water, Rockin Green Hard Rock worked for us. I blogged all about our experience if you want more tips, http://anyasgreenbaby.blogspot.com/2011/10/battle-of-stinky-cloth-diapers-how-to.html

Wife to DH  dh_malesling.GIF Momma to twin girls slingtwin.gif cloth diapering, no vaxing, family bed, organic living, eating and wearing family! treehugger.gif

#3 of 6 Old 10-23-2011, 10:03 PM

Oh almost forgot, don't boil covers that have PUL. It's that plasticy lining that is sometimes used in CD. You didn't mention brands...

Wife to DH  dh_malesling.GIF Momma to twin girls slingtwin.gif cloth diapering, no vaxing, family bed, organic living, eating and wearing family! treehugger.gif

#4 of 6 Old 10-24-2011, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinpossible View Post

Oh almost forgot, don't boil covers that have PUL. It's that plasticy lining that is sometimes used in CD. You didn't mention brands...

Unfortunately, we use mostly PUL diapers and covers.  Sort of a motley crew of different brands of pocket diapers and microfiber inserts.  I will try boiling my cotton fitteds and prefolds, though, thanks!

Can I boil the MF inserts that don't have any snaps? How about hemp?  It's really the microfiber stuff that smells the most.  

Mama of 4 beautiful little ones

Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better, it's not.

--Dr. Suess    

#5 of 6 Old 10-24-2011, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I would soak everything other than the PUL in vinegar.  We had the same issue with hard water.  Soak it and then try stripping everything again.  If you strip enough with soft water on both inserts and PUL, it will eventually get the hard water deposits off the diapers.  You probably don't need to do anything more with oxiclean/bleach/bacteria because it is probably just the hard water.

#6 of 6 Old 10-24-2011, 01:59 PM

Vinegar made our problem much worse! I also discovered that hemp holds on to stink stronger then other fibers. Try (if you can) not to use the hemp. You can try a soak in Rockin Green Ammonia Bouncer, that kicks butt!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page