Mothering Forum banner

Is it time to give up CD'ing?

638 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  TheSlingMama 
#1 ·
I have an almost 30 lb almost one year old, and I am having a lot of trouble avoiding soak throughs on a regular basis - day and night. I already change him every two hours, or when I think he may be wet, but he still manages to soak through the diaps and his clothes!! (He really doesn't seems to care about being wet - weird, I know). I'm having a little trouble with the sizing issue since he is so big, I can't really put another liner in (I use the fuzzibunz AIO, one size) without leaving marks (they are getting too low cut, so I can't really adjust the buttons any better). It's getting to the point where it's hard to run errands without a wet baby (and it's a bit inconvenient to be changing diapers sooo often, not to mention that my life is being taken up by doing diaper laundry!)

so my question is, are there any easy to use large size diapers that would work for us? I would prefer the AIO or pocket type - i have a couple of prefold style diapers, but he doesn't stay still long enough for me to get them on, and the liners also seem to be uncomfortable for him (I got the Econobum trial package, i don't remember if they had different sizes). i imagine that this is going to get wetter before he potty trains, and i don't know if he's going to slim down or stay solid.....argh!! i really like using cloth, but this is getting a bit overwhelming. TIA!

#2 ·
We recently switched over to disposables after 16 months in cloth, for many of the reasons you mentioned. We were using MothersEase diapers with wool covers and even though they are supposedly one-size, my little guy was getting pinched thighs. The soaking through was also a big issue--I had to change his diaper every hour to avoid soaking the cover. And the process of changing became such a stressor for us, I couldn't get my son into a new diaper without a huge tantrum. So we were having hourly meltdowns, pinched thighs, and loads and loads of laundry...not fun for anyone!

I would have loved to continue with cloth but it was just becoming too stressful, time consuming, and uncomfortable and we don't have enough room in our budget right now to purchase a new set of diapers.

I'm glad we got 16 great months out of them though---and they're ready for the next babe that comes along. If you can afford it, I'm sure there are some great larger size diapers that can withstand more wetness (I don't know of any specifically but hopefully other mamas will chime in.)

#3 ·
oh yeah, the diaps actually have to fit under clothing too - right now if i squeeze DS into a double lined diaper, his pants are reallly tight, and going up a size gives him pant legs that are much too long...

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by gitanamama View Post

We recently switched over to disposables after 16 months in cloth, for many of the reasons you mentioned. We were using MothersEase diapers with wool covers and even though they are supposedly one-size, my little guy was getting pinched thighs. The soaking through was also a big issue--I had to change his diaper every hour to avoid soaking the cover. And the process of changing became such a stressor for us, I couldn't get my son into a new diaper without a huge tantrum. So we were having hourly meltdowns, pinched thighs, and loads and loads of laundry...not fun for anyone!

I would have loved to continue with cloth but it was just becoming too stressful, time consuming, and uncomfortable and we don't have enough room in our budget right now to purchase a new set of diapers.

I'm glad we got 16 great months out of them though---and they're ready for the next babe that comes along. If you can afford it, I'm sure there are some great larger size diapers that can withstand more wetness (I don't know of any specifically but hopefully other mamas will chime in.)
thanks, this is kind of how i feel :)

#5 ·
We use Grovia, they have soaker pads and "trainers" which have strechy sides. They might work if you not ready to give up just yet. Just a thought...there is no shame in moving to disposibles because of your siuation, that being said, disposibles may not save you from leaks :( My girls are small but have EPIC pee diapers! We used to use disposible at night, we used nature babycare. Now that we switched to Grovia we don't have that need because they have an compostable insert option. Maybe they will work for you like they worked for us!

#7 ·
How about the Kawaii "Good Night Heavy Wetter" pockets? They come with two inserts, which may or may not be bulky on your kiddo, but you can always substitute one (or both) with hemp or bamboo for a more absorbent but trimmer option. The GNHW diape seems to also run bigger than their ordinary pocket diapers so you may get more use out of them at this point. I'd only get one or two to try it out first (i.e. buy from a diaper store, not the luvyourbaby.com website, so you can get free shipping still without committing to 10+ diapers).

#8 ·
Grovia Hybrid has also been great for us. The liner has a waterproof layer, so quite often I can snap out the liner and save the shell for another use. Even if the liner gets over saturated, the waterproof shell holds the leaks in pretty well. Plus, you can get boosters. The Grovia All-in-one has a snap in booster and even with the booster in, is not too bulky. Also, because the soaker pads are not bulky at all, I can go up to 4 days without doing diaper laundry. And so far, they don't seem to get stinky!

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabySmurf View Post

oh yeah, the diaps actually have to fit under clothing too - right now if i squeeze DS into a double lined diaper, his pants are reallly tight, and going up a size gives him pant legs that are much too long...
We had similar issues to those you initially posted. We tried one thing, switched, switched again, and then went back to something we initially tried. What has worked best, overall, is the pre-fold style cloth diaper tri-folded (Thirsties & Cotton Babies make this style). It isn't ideal, but it works for days. Now, we do a sposie at night for a few reasons - rashes, dryness issues, etc. - but we also use a sposie for long outings. The cloth diapers just do not fit under my LO's clothing but it wasn't and isn't worth it to me to stop using cloth altogether. That said, this "hybrid" system works for us, but I don't assume it will work for everyone.

For what it's worth, I have hated every single hybrid system that is marketed as hybrids - the sposie inserts are way too tiny for my LO.

#10 ·
Honestly, I've felt that way myself in the past few months on occasion. My daughter is 27 months and almost as heavy as your LO and EVERYTHING was leaking and driving me batty! We gave it one last effort and stumbled upon Bottombumper one size and bumGenius Elemental OS. Both have worked wonders for us and we still have another rise setting in both before it's fully open. For boosters we got doublers from GMD and fold them in half. Then we slip them in the wetzone under the attached soakers and have no leaks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.