Issues with yeast/have bleached diapers at every washing and it hasn't helped :-( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-27-2011, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My 20 month old DS recently had pneumonia and was on antibiotics. He developed a really bad rash that looked especially painful on his penis and scrotum. We've mixed a drop of TTO with diaper creams and even with neosporin. We've even bleached the diapers at every wash. For a day or 2 it will seem like it's getting better and then it will start looking bad again. I've given him probiotics. Please help. I don't know what else to do and actually bought disposables so that his bum can heal. :-(

#2 of 11 Old 10-28-2011, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)

Oh gosh, if it is yeast, don't treat it with Neosporin. That would make the yeast worse, I would think, since it is also an antibiotic.

Your dipes may be clean and fine, but it sounds like you might need to treat him for a yeast rash if you feel like that is what it is. 

I hope you get some good answers! hug.gif

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#3 of 11 Old 10-28-2011, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your response.

I feel so silly. :-( It seemed to be making it better for a while. :-( duh.gif

How should I be treating it? Right now we just started disposables until he is healed. But now both sons have the rash. :-(

#4 of 11 Old 10-28-2011, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Oh! Don't feel silly!

I would probably do a couple of things at this point.  I would see the doc about the rash - if it is yeast, they will probably give you and antifungal cream to help clear it up.

THen I would strip my diapers.  I think you can find some info on here about stripping dipes.  I usually did a wash with no soap to get residue out, and then a wash on hot with something like Dawn dish detergent to get out everything, then another wash with no soap, and  double rinse to get everything out.

There is probably a more detailed thread in here if you search for stripping diapers. :)  I hope that you get a solution and the boys feel better soon.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#5 of 11 Old 10-28-2011, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, we have seen the doctor and she recommended either a drop of tea tree oil or grapefruit seed extract mixed with his diaper cream. We had TTO, so that is what we used. It did lessen the rash and even make it appear nearly healed. But then it worsened again. I think it's because the yeast is in the diapers. I'm hoping not to have to bring them back to the doctor's, so I'm seeing if the disposables make a difference. They seem to be, but it's early to tell.

Question: Does bleach not strip the diapers? We've been using bleach at every wash (even though I don't like to). I will absolutely try Dawn dish detergent. Thanks for the advice. :-)

#6 of 11 Old 10-28-2011, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Bleach can strip the diapers, but is can also leave residue in them.  I was amazed, even after bleaching, how much soap came out in a wash with no added soap.  It was crazy!

#7 of 11 Old 10-28-2011, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much! I had no idea. Dawn it is! I definitely want to return to cloth as soon as I can. 

Thanks again. bow.gif

#8 of 11 Old 10-30-2011, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If you suspect yeast, my Pedi suggested lotrimin, like an athletes foot cream. Try putting him in a prefold with no cover for a while if you can too so his bum gets a little fresh air :)

#9 of 11 Old 11-01-2011, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffymamaof1 View Post

If you suspect yeast, my Pedi suggested lotrimin, like an athletes foot cream. Try putting him in a prefold with no cover for a while if you can too so his bum gets a little fresh air :)

Thank you! I'll pick some up. My older DS is improving, but the yeast has spread to the younger DS (they were using some of the same cloth diapers). So I'll definitely try it. :-)

#10 of 11 Old 11-02-2011, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Lotrimin, or monastat (the 7 day one) both will kill the yeast and cam be applied at every diaper change. Baths with baking soda to soothe, then a rinse of dilluted apple cider vinegar (for the yeast) also help. If you don't kill the yeast in the rash he will just keep infecting the diapers. Lots of diaper free time or at least no diaper cover will help too. Good luck! Yeast is a beast to deal with...

#11 of 11 Old 12-16-2011, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the great advice. The yeast has been cured as far as the boys go and now I am stripping all of our diapers and returning to using cloth. The grapefruit seed extract mixed in their diaper cream worked WONDERS. They've been cured for a while now. I've just been too lazy to strip the diapers.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page