Rashy woes. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-27-2011, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been struggling with diaper rashes in my son.  We've eliminated a bunch of foods from his diet which has helped a lot, but he still occasionally gets a blistery horrible-looking rash on his penis, testicles, and butt that lingers.  He also just gets a very red, sore area around his genitals and butt (maybe from poop?).  I try to be really good about changing him regularly, but he's so busy that sometimes I don't know when he's wet or poopy.  I give him lots of naked time when we're home, and I have been encouraging the toilet since 6 or 8 months, but he's not interested.  And at night he often sleeps in a wet diaper for hours.  My kids are not good sleepers and I am exhausted, so I don't mess with him when he's sleeping.

So 4 or 5 days ago he woke up with a water blister on the inside of his thigh where his diaper rubs.  I called dh and had him pick up disposable diapers on his way home.  We used those for a few days and everything cleared up nicely.  In the mean time I washed all of our diapers and covers with detergent and bleach (which I never use) and ran them on the sanitize cycle in our washing machine five times in a row.  Then I dried them in the drier on hot.  I packed up all the polyester and microfiber and just used cotton and hemp with covers.  Here we are at the end of day two and he is horribly red and crying when I hold him because his bottom hurts.  (He did have four bms today, so it is possible that it's something he ate, but he was already a little red this morning.)  I had him naked after dinner and slathered him up with cream and put him in a disposable for the night.

I don't know what to do.  I HATE using disposable diapers.  I hate the chemicals and the waste.  I just cringe every time I throw one in the garbage can, and I don't want that plastic on my kid's genitals.  I also don't want him suffering like this.  Any ideas?

#2 of 7 Old 10-28-2011, 04:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
It sounds like yeast. Do you use any baby powder? The california baby calming powder has tea tree oil and lavendar and calendula with really helps with the rash and keeps things dryer and harder for yeast to grow.

#3 of 7 Old 10-28-2011, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for responding.

I used to use cornstarch and now I use green clay powder.  I have never used a commercial baby powder because I hate the way they smell -- they all have such a strong scent!  I don't think I've ever smelled the CA Baby; I don't think they carry it at our co-op, but I'll check it out.

His rash really doesn't look like the yeast rashes dd used to always get, but I guess it could be.  We do probiotics all the time and eat a great diet.  I have had very little thrush with him breastfeeding -- especially when compared with dd who had a lot more problems with it.

If it is yeast, is there something else I need to do about my diapers?  Why do the cloth diapers make it so much worse?  I stripped the heck out of them.  Help!

#4 of 7 Old 10-29-2011, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Just guessing here... But could it be the clay? I bought some green clay thinking it would be GREAT for my skin and it is just way too drying. Even with just a small amount applied only long enough to smooth on and wash off, my face shriveled up and broke out and stung horribly. Really not a good situation. I would leave him in disposables for a little longer (I know how you feel, I hated them too and had to do this same thing for a couple of weeks) until it's been completely clear for 3-4 days and then go back to (freshly stripped and sanitized) cloth without the green clay. (Did you strip with Dawn already? That's supposed to be the best way to do it.) HTH

#5 of 7 Old 10-30-2011, 09:09 AM

We were experiencing a similar problem with my son, and someone suggested to me that he could be sensitive to PUL. I was under the impression during research I did while I was pregnant that PUL was somewhat breathable, but it turns out it traps a lot of heat and lets bacteria fester. Most babies are fine with it, as it's still usually a better option than sposies. However, I recently tried fitteds/prefolds with my son, using a fleece cover, instead of PUL, and his rash cleared in a couple days, and hasn't been back. I never would have guessed this on my own, but I just wanted to throw that idea out there for you. It may be worth a shot for you as well! :)

#6 of 7 Old 10-30-2011, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Huh, that's interesting about the clay.  I really don't think it's the problem here; we hadn't been using it when the rash started up.  We were using it dry, as a powder, so not the same as putting a mask of it on your face.

I haven't ever stripped with Dawn -- I'm not sure the diapers are the problem, but it is so hard to figure these things out.  I might just have to try that.

Fleece covers -- I wonder if I could get some cotton fleece and make my own.  I hate polyester, and I am so tired of spending money on diapers!

Thanks for the ideas!

#7 of 7 Old 10-30-2011, 11:43 AM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page