Unused Fuzzibunz repelling... HALP! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-29-2011, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Got some Fuzzibunz through Zulily for a steal.  We use mostly prefolds, or rather, *I* use mostly prefolds.  DH will use pockets without harassment, so I got the FBs to have for the few diapers he changes during the day.

The problem -- they're repelling.  Not after use.  My diapers are repelling and they haven't even been used yet.  I washed them per FB's instructions as soon as I got them -- diaper friendly detergent (we use Planet), 1/4 of the amount (the same amount I use for every other diaper load I've done in the last 2 years). Popped them in the dryer on low (we have never used dryer sheets in our dryer, and we purchased it new, so no residue), and then pulled it out and gave it the ol' water test.  I have used pockets before...  I know their kind!  And of course, the water just sat on the microfleece, indefinitely.  I rolled it around on the diaper, still a perfect bead.  I tested two others, both also beaded.  Tested just the microfiber inserts, also beaded, although it did eventually absorb when I rolled it around.  I washed the diapers again, this time just on hot with no soap.  Dried again, and same beading happening.

So what's my next step?  I've only used Bum Genius pockets before, and with those I washed 'em, dried 'em, and started using them. Why are my brand new FBs repelling!?

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2011, 10:13 AM

I would strip them. Sometimes new diapers have oils from the manufacturing process. Use Dawn (a tablespoon or two with a top loader, a teaspoon or two with a front loader) and wash on hot. Repeat washes without soap until there are no more bubbles. You could also try the same process with Calgon or RLR.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

I tried some Calgon this morning, and still!  Arg!  I was really hoping not to have to use the Dawn!!

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

Old 11-02-2011, 09:35 AM

So first thing, water will always just sit on top of the microfleece. It needs pressure from baby's bum to push liquid through the fleece and into the insert. How long did it take the water to absorb into the insert? If it only took a few seconds, that's pretty normal. Longer than that, and yes I would definitely consider that a repelling issue. I have had a lot of success boiling my inserts for 10 - 15 minutes, then running them through a hot wash/cold rinse.

Also, have you actually put the diapers on your LO yet to see if they leak?

CDing, BFing, CSing, Loving mama to Maya Lily (10/15/2009), and married to my best friend on October 31, 2009!

User Tag List