Only wool? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-07-2011, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

We're expecting our first child in January and I am keen on CD'ing.  I have already made several wool covers in size newborn and small (and will be making more), so I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with only using wool as covers (as opposed to PUL covers).  Also, someone from my DDC suggested using fitteds with wool, because she said that prefolds don't catch the poop as well.  Wouldn't a properly pinned prefold catch poop as well as a fitted?  Thanks for your help!!

Happy housewife and mom to big Z, born at home 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and happy to get back to trying!  
#2 of 6 Old 11-07-2011, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

9 out of 10 times, we use wool over PUL. We do have a couple of PUL covers but use them as back up [if say I'm washing the woolies]. We definitely prefer wool.

#3 of 6 Old 11-09-2011, 08:05 PM

We exclusively use wool. Occasionally I think I should get some plastic covers to avoid compression leaking in the carseat, but I've never bothered. I use a snappi on prefolds, and have very rarely experienced poop leaking. We also do EC for poop, so that helps, but prefolds are great. I recommend snappi over pins, just cuz it's faster. I'm on my third cloth-and-wool-diapered baby, and I can't imagine a simpler system.

Pregnant and/or breastfeeding since May, 2004, with dd6, ds4, and dd born 9/11.
We homeschool.gif.
#4 of 6 Old 11-14-2011, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

subbing! Really interested in prefolds with wool myself. :-D

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#5 of 6 Old 11-16-2011, 09:34 PM

I do snap prefold goodmamas and wool covers on my twins but use Grovias with PUL at night. We also use fleece covers if all the wool is air drying (that takes a few days!) I prefer snaps because baby poop is so runny so the elastic sides are a must to keep it all in! 

Wife to DH  dh_malesling.GIF Momma to twin girls slingtwin.gif cloth diapering, no vaxing, family bed, organic living, eating and wearing family! treehugger.gif

#6 of 6 Old 11-18-2011, 11:48 AM

I did almost exclusively wool over fitteds with DS until about a year.  I did have 1 PUL cover in each size, just for those cute outfits I couldn't put over wool. 

The thing with pfs and wool is that you have to be good with that snappi in order to avoid leaks.  And if this is your first time using pfs, it takes some practice.  You also have to find the right fold, which can change depending on the shape/size of your babe, which size pf you're using, how much/often they're peeing/pooping, and what you're trying to fit it under.  I tried PFs at first with DS, and quickly gave up because every poop necessitated at least spot cleaning the wool, which can take days to dry.  But keep in mind that fitteds are no guarantee either.  If they don't fit correctly (snug around the leg), you'll still get leaks.  It took lots of trial and error to find fitteds that fit DS's scrawny chicken legs correctly.  The other problem you can run into is if you don't get the snappi tight enough, often-times the crotch arm will unhook and snag your wool - and that's just a pain all around. 

I did actually buy pfs for this next baby's infant stage, because I'm good with a snappi now, and I know the tricks to prevent leaks (I will still have fitteds because DH won't use PFs).  But I'm also not planning on doing exclusively wool this time (I do still have the wool from DS though). 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page