SO TIRED of toddler nighttime leaks! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-14-2011, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DD is daytime potty trained, but still wears a diaper at night. She's 32 months old.

We've mostly done gDiapers, but we own a few different one size fits all pockets. With the gDiapers, we started using them before they made cloth inserts, so I made my own. We also own a few of the gDiaper brand cloth inserts.

With all these diapers, the only system I can find that works is a gDiaper with my homemade insert, but it has to have a soaker on top (I'm not sure if that's really what it's called, but it's just a thin layer of cloth that doesn't soak up liquid). I'm not sure if it was something irritating about the actual homemade inserts or just the wet against her skin, but DD was getting rashes. Ever since we started using those, she's been better rash-wise.

If I use the gDiaper cloth inserts, she ends up leaking. If I use the pocket diapers, she ends up leaking. It's generally by her legs in both cases, but her legs aren't particularly thin and I don't think I'm putting the diaper on wrong. I just don't get it! How do I make her stop leaking?!?

I'm contemplating making a wool cover for her and using it over prefolds. Anyone have any luck with that?

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#2 of 7 Old 11-14-2011, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wool is a great leak stopper.  But if it's leaking around the legs, then chances are the dipes are repelling.  Or she's peeing so much so quickly they just can't absorb fast enough. 

Either way, I'd strip your dipes, and add a wool cover.  Wool is the only thing that keeps our bed dry around here, many nights. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 7 Old 11-14-2011, 06:27 PM

Does she sleep on her back, side, tummy?  All of the above?

Is she generally a heavy wetter?  How long does she sleep for at night?

#4 of 7 Old 11-15-2011, 02:10 PM

An Aristocrat Woolen Soaker may help in your situation. You can either use it over an absorbent diaper (fitted is best) and diaper doubler, with a fleece diaper liner for wicking wetness away from the skin...Or another option would be to just pop the Aristocrats over your current gdiapers or pocket system and simply use them as a backup barrier to catch any leaks.

Here's a few items you might find helpful:

Aristocrats Woolen Soaker- http://www.babybunz.com/Aristocrats-Woolen-Soaker.html

Snugglebottoms Fitted Diapers (Toddler 27-35+) - http://www.babybunz.com/Snugglebottoms-Velcro.html

Stretch Bamboozles Fitted Diapers (#2 fits 8-35 lbs) - http://www.babybunz.com/Stretch-Bamboozle-Fitted-Diaper.html

Doublers and Liners - http://www.babybunz.com/doublers_and_liners_58_cat.html         

Doubler & Liner Combo - http://www.babybunz.com/Organic-Cotton-Hemp-Poly-Fleece-Doublers.html

#5 of 7 Old 11-19-2011, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by cristeen View Post

Wool is a great leak stopper.  But if it's leaking around the legs, then chances are the dipes are repelling.  Or she's peeing so much so quickly they just can't absorb fast enough. 

Either way, I'd strip your dipes, and add a wool cover.  Wool is the only thing that keeps our bed dry around here, many nights. 

How would you recommend I strip them? I've tried multiple ways and never noticed much of a difference afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola_ View Post

Does she sleep on her back, side, tummy?  All of the above?

Is she generally a heavy wetter?  How long does she sleep for at night?

She generally sleeps on her tummy, but it changes throughout the night (as she constantly rolls towards me, which is driving me crazy lately). I don't think she's a particularly heavy wetter, but I do think that she pees all at once when she does at night. She is generally in the diaper from 8pm until 7am.

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#6 of 7 Old 11-20-2011, 03:24 PM

If you've already stripped them, then I would just suspect that she's peeing too quickly for your inserts.  My 2 yo does this sometimes.  Honestly, if you have one that you know works, I'd do my best to make more just like it.  If she was getting rashes from the wet, I wouldn't put her in a PF without the fleece liner, that's just asking for more rashes.  I know my DS has to have a stay dry liner on his or he's covered in rash by morning. 

One question we haven't asked - on the nights when it leaks, is the insert soaked, or is it barely wet?  My 2 yo needs an amazing amount of absorbency to get through the night.  I can use a standard pocket at naptime, but even then it will sometimes fail.  But at nighttime, I have to stuff 2 pfs and a heavy duty doubler into a pocket to get him through.  If you've reached the absorbency capacity of the inserts, then you just need to add more. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#7 of 7 Old 11-22-2011, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Depends on the diaper. Sometimes I feel like the pocket diapers aren't wet enough that she should be leaking, but those ones she even leaks when I put her in for nap time. The homemade inserts for the gDiapers on the other hand sometimes are so wet that I can't believe they're not leaking.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page