CD while travelling: advice, support, rec's? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-16-2011, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We're starting to plan our trip (~2 weeks, Feb or March) to Thailand. We don't have a set itinerary yet but will be travelling with our very active social toddler.  We do ec but she's on a potty pause right now, tending to only go in the potty upon awakening. So we are back to using our prefolds and doing laundry more than we have been pre-walking....I would like to cd while travelling but is it feasible? Prefolds take a while to air dry and are bulky in luggage. Are there places to stay with laundry machines? Are there local cd styles that work better for the climate? Should I wash by hand? I don't want to spend most of our trip washing diapers but I'd  hate to use disposables if I didn't need to.  I'd appreciate any advice you have.

Also, if there's places to visit/lodging etc that you'd recommend I'd love to hear it. Pre baby we were budget conscious backpackers, happy to camp or stay in hostels but would like to pack light but still get a local feel. Not really into touristy stuff. We like a few days in the city but prefer the countryside.  We co-sleep, still bf and her only vaccine so far has been dTap.  

Tia!

DD: 8/10

#2 of 8 Old 11-18-2011, 11:59 AM

I would probably get some flats and leave the pfs home.  Chances are you're going to have to handwash at least part of the time, and the flats wash quicker/easier and dry quicker. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 8 Old 11-20-2011, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

flats seem like the way to go but i envision myself spending our vacation handwashing diapers when i want to be travelling and we'll be on a road a bit.  it sounds like no fun.  how long does it take to handwash? i don't want to make my life more frustrating, it's a vacation but i'm trying to figure out a non-disposable route...how often should i handwash? how many diapers to bring??

#4 of 8 Old 11-21-2011, 08:19 AM

How many times a day does she typically pee?  Is she willing to poo in the potty?  You can also explore how PL is done in these countries, I don't know about Thailand specifically, but I do know in many they just leave the kid naked from the waist down and they pee where they pee. 

My toddler might pee 6x/day right now, not including his nighttime dipe.  So I'd probably take enough dipes to get through 2 days (about a dozen) and plan to wash every night.  If it's just pee you're washing, it shouldn't take that long with flats.  You can even do it during your shower.  And considering the climate, they should be dry by morning if you wring them out well.  I don't know what I'd do about night-time dipes though, since flats wouldn't cut it for us...

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

#5 of 8 Old 11-21-2011, 09:46 AM

Consider using disposable liners (they're supposed to be flushable, but I wouldn't subject someone else's plumbing to them). That would hugely decrease the amount of work of hand washing.

Also consider:

* Hiring someone to wash the flats. It would almost certainly be very cheap, put money into the local economy, and get you a chance to interact with locals.

* Figuring out what solution the locals use

* Going with disposables because otherwise you would end up spending your entire trip washing diapers.

This all depends on how many diapers you go through in a day, though remember that with traveling schedules will be thrown into a tizzy, so you may end up with a lot of misses for a while.

#6 of 8 Old 11-21-2011, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

so right now we can usually get her to pee in the potty upon waking and after naps.  poops used to be 99% in the potty, it's more like 50% now.  i'd love to have her be bottomless but it feels so inappropriate as the tourist allowign my dd to pee all over the place (she pees all over the house lately) she only poops like 2x/day and it's mostly solid so diapers don't get too dirty, she just pees a lot. definitley more than 6x. but the one good thing is that she tends to hold it all night. maybe once a month she'll pee 1-2x in her diaper while sleeping.  

i guess my desire to use cloth is pitted against my fear of washing diapers everyday...how can i wash them in the shower? tips?

i would love to hire a local to wash them but we are going to be hiking, taking trains, maybe a week in one place but we're not really  homebodies, we want to get out and see things.

thanks

#7 of 8 Old 11-21-2011, 04:22 PM

Honestly, with flats - take them in the shower, dump them at your feet while you get wet (getting them wet at the same time).  Then I'd lift them one by one, rinsing each one as you go, and put them in a separate pile, or if you have a container to use, dump them in that now.  Now they're rinsed, and they need to be washed.  If you're not trying to get stains out, handwashing is really easy.  The application of a little bit of soap (I'd probably take something like Dr. Bronners with you), and rub the cloth between your hands.  Rub the cloth against itself.  Just like you would a dishrag against a plate, but between your hands.  Just make sure the whole thing gets some soap on it, this doesn't have to be a big production, each one can take 20 seconds since they're so thin.  Then rinse and dump in a pile while you finish your shower, and then rinse again just to be sure before you turn it off.  Then step out, and wring them out one by one, drape them wherever you can. 

We did this with clothes (jeans, tshirts, pjs, underwear, etc.) while on a 3 week trip through Russia when we were teens.  We could only take what we could carry, so washing was mandatory. 

You might want to pack a thin rope for drying - something you could tie on a window handle or chair back, but really lightweight so it's not so much to carry. 

#8 of 8 Old 05-19-2012, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Update we travelled with 12 flats and it was easier than expected. We did gdiapers for the flight and I hated them we had 3 blowouts and leaks galore. But it was nice to arrive with a fresh stash. We washed as they dirtied when we were I. Our hostel. It was so hot and all rooms had a fan and drying rack they dried quick! We used dr bronners. After 2 weeks of handwashing I felt like they were getting grimy? But we handwashed for almost 3 weeks! It helped that dh was on board and that a lot of poops were in the potty. Just wanted to share that it was possible and not a hassle.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk 2

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page