Newborn poop regulalry gets on covers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 12-16-2011, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is this normal? or should I expect to change cover with every poop? Dd is 4 weeks old and we have a Thirsties PUL cover and some g pants.

Rachel, massage therapist and single mom :to Keanu 7/29/04 and Juniper 11/18/11!  Lovingfemalesling.GIFcd.gifnamaste.giflactivist.gifgd.giffambedsingle1.gif

#2 of 18 Old 12-16-2011, 08:45 AM

We often end up changing the cover with every poop. (which is to say, for us, with most every diaper at the beginning) This was with prefolds, and we had some success with wrapping the prefold differently. I don't know about g pants.

#3 of 18 Old 12-16-2011, 09:34 AM

This is why so many covers have wipe clean interiors. 

What are you using inside the covers?  PFs?  If so you need to try a different fold.  Really early on I could use the angel wing, but before long I had to stick with the jelly roll (and still at 2 yo we're using the jelly roll).  The trick is getting the pf snug around the thigh in the crease between body and leg.  If it's not snug, guaranteed leak.  Early on I had to Snappi every pf twice just to get it snug/on properly. 

If you're using fitteds under that cover, then your fitteds don't fit properly.  You can either stick it out or try a different brand.  With DS we had to have side-snapping fitteds because of how skinny his legs were, otherwise it was constant leaks (side snaps let you adjust leg and waist to different settings). 

If you're using contours or just laying PFs inside the cover, then yes, you can just expect this is how it's going to be - either buy more covers (look for wipe-clean interiors), or switch your game plan. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#4 of 18 Old 12-16-2011, 11:18 AM

Runny messes are going to be the norm until baby begins eating solid foods. We've found the most effective way to keep messes contained as much as possible is by using a fitted diaper under your diaper cover. Ftted diapers provide much better coverage and keep your diaper cover cleaner longer so you get more uses out of it before it needs washing...and the gathered leg areas on fitted diapers help hold everything in.

While you can sometimes get pretty good coverage with prefolds when using certain folding techniques, it's usually not possible to get a snug enough fit around the legs to help prevent leakage without the gathered leg areas that fitted diapers provide.

Here are some popular fitted diaper options that we love:

Snugglebottoms Fitted Diaper: http://www.babybunz.com/Snugglebottoms-Velcro.html

Stretch Bamboozle Fitted Diaper:  http://www.babybunz.com/Stretch-Bamboozle-Fitted-Diaper.html

We'd be happy to answer any cloth diapering questions you may have, just give us a call!  ~ 800-676-4559

#5 of 18 Old 12-16-2011, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Agree with others, it's the diaper, not a cover issue.  For me, prefolds were hard (part skill and luck).  Fitted (green mountain workhorse) very few leaks.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#6 of 18 Old 12-17-2011, 02:06 PM

Personally, I prefer prefolds to Green Mtns. Our daughter has really skinny legs and I find that as long as we have the cover snug enough around her legs we don't get leaks, even with real nasty big poos. Like someone else said, part skill, part luck, but we've had luck folding the prefolds kind of wide. We're still able to use the covers several times in a row, but sometimes you just get a huge blowout and need a new cover. We like Thirsties cotton/hemp prefolds with the duo wrap covers.We've found that the Green Mtn inserts soak way up all around the diaper and our girl ends up soaking in pee. With the hemp/cotton prefolds, the wetness is more contained and doesn't travel all the way up the diaper. Each child is different and the diapers fit differently, so unfortunately, it seems to be trial and error until you find what works best for you :(

#7 of 18 Old 12-17-2011, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I tried & tried & tried with ds to get the prefolds "right" so there wouldn't be poop on the covers. I finally gave up & just accepted that a poop meant the cover needed to be washed. That was just less stressful & easier for us.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#8 of 18 Old 12-18-2011, 12:28 PM

If you're up for trying prefold diapers rather than fitteds, our soft and absorbent Organic Cotton/Hemp Fleece Prefolds are a great choice! :)  To try just one first instead of a 6-pack, a 'single' one of those diapers can be found here: http://www.babybunz.com/sample-organic-hemp.html

For anyone with cloth diapering questions, we welcome your call as we're happy to help! ~ 800-676-4559

#9 of 18 Old 12-21-2011, 09:15 PM

My husband and I experimented with different prefold folding techniques and we've had significantly less leaks even with the most explosive poops. We love the bikini twist! It is hands down the best fold we've used to contain poop. We like the angel wing and jelly roll folds but they tend to leak more than the twist. Our baby has skinny legs so that might affect how the prefolds secure around her thighs compared to other babies. I say just experiment with different folds until you find what works best for your baby. We still switch the folds up all of the time depending on the time of day because we know, for instance, that our baby has the most explosive poos in the morning but at night she'll have mostly pee diapers and we can use whatever fold we want. Plus, switching up the folds keeps things more interesting when diapering tends to be boring... lol.gif We're starting to master the use of prefolds.

As a side note, we use Thirsties duo covers (LOVE them!) and I'd say we'll go through anywhere from 3-6 a day depending on the extent of leaks (like if they get on the leg gussets we change the cover out immediately). We wipe them out a lot and reuse but even after a few contained poop diapers we still like to use a new cover just because they can get stinky sometimes or it just feels more hygienic. But we really could get by with not having very many covers.

First came partners.gif then cat.gif then another cat.gif and then babygirl.gif (11/11)
#10 of 18 Old 01-17-2012, 09:44 AM

We use flats on a 3 week old. Poop almost never ends up on the cover.

4mylilmonkeys likes this.
#11 of 18 Old 01-18-2012, 10:05 AM

We use the gpants and the only times we've had an issue are true explosions that would defy any diaper on earth anyway!  Do you use the gdiaper inserts with the pants or do you mix n match?

#12 of 18 Old 01-18-2012, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

How big is your 4 week old? We were using newborn prefolds and covers on my son and getting lots of soiled covers. On a whim, at two weeks, I tried the infant size. They looked huge on him. But no more dirty covers! It's been fine ever since.

#13 of 18 Old 01-26-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

I tried & tried & tried with ds to get the prefolds "right" so there wouldn't be poop on the covers. I finally gave up & just accepted that a poop meant the cover needed to be washed. That was just less stressful & easier for us.

I kept wanting to experiment with folds and stuff, and DH said pretty much the same thing to me.  I was like....yeah, you're right.  The poop wasn't escaping the cover, so it's not like it was much to deal with.  It was doing its job.  Just time to throw that cover in the pail and grab a new one!

#14 of 18 Old 01-27-2012, 06:42 AM
Banned

IMO, g-pants don't work for tiny people because poop gets on them all the time.  But it also gets on other covers.  I agree with the other poster who said as long as it remains contained, you're good - just throw that in the wash and grab another.  Especially for newborns, I often find the recommendations for how many covers you need to be on the low side by a factor of 2.  I liked to have a BUNCH. 

#15 of 18 Old 01-27-2012, 11:10 AM

Curious - we have a bunch of flats but I don't know a good fold for the newborn explosive exclusive breastfed baby poo stage. What folds work for flats? For prefolds, we do the angel wing fold and make sure the legs are super tight and as we snappi. There's a little bit of technique to get it just right. Thirsties Duo Wrap Snaps are our favorite. Wish I would have just gotten those. 

#16 of 18 Old 01-28-2012, 11:20 AM

Try the origami fold. Whenever I see instructions they rarely show how to get the legs tight. I found that if I rolled the sides a couple times before bringing them around the legs it will hold everything well. When DH puts them on he hasn't figured this out yet and it leaves huge gaps around the legs if you don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mylilmonkeys View Post

Curious - we have a bunch of flats but I don't know a good fold for the newborn explosive exclusive breastfed baby poo stage. What folds work for flats? For prefolds, we do the angel wing fold and make sure the legs are super tight and as we snappi. There's a little bit of technique to get it just right. Thirsties Duo Wrap Snaps are our favorite. Wish I would have just gotten those. 

#17 of 18 Old 01-28-2012, 02:53 PM

I also was having issues with my prefolds until I found a you tube video that showed that after you get the prefold on and snappied, you should roll or fold that part of the  diaper that is around the legs until it is snug. This solved our problems. I wish I knew how to find that video but this was about 4 years ago.  After re-reading this, I can tell I'm not really explaining it well so I will try to look for that you tube video and I'll post it if I find it.

#18 of 18 Old 01-28-2012, 03:29 PM

Well, this isn't the video I was thinking of, but it does show how to roll in the sides. It shows a bikini twist fold but the roll-in technique can be used for all folds. Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DatYe9jLqfI

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page