The very best diaper pail? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 12-28-2011, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have read that any garbage can with a snug-fitting lid works fine.  Do you agree, or do you recommend a device made specifically for holding dirty cloth diapers?

We are not high-income, and are generally tightwads in most areas (hence a great deal of the reason we are going with cloth diapers at all), but I have seen that some special diaper receptacles really aren't expensive.

For example, I'd be happy to pay thirty eight dollars for two years of stink-free living.  Here's one device I found:

http://www.amazon.com/Odorless-Cloth-Diaper-Pail-gallon/dp/B0053Y2B6E/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1325095237&sr=8-4

Our baby is due in June, so we have a little bit of time to decide.  Thanks!

#2 of 14 Old 12-28-2011, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I vote garbage can, though cat litter or any other bucket with a lid will work.  I've found I like lid-less containers, but I wash every 2-4 days

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#3 of 14 Old 12-28-2011, 12:33 PM

I got a stainless steal round trash can with the step lid for $15. It has a bucket inside for the trash but it has been awesome I can just take out the bucket and dump the dipes in the washer.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#4 of 14 Old 12-28-2011, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the answers so far!  Chel, are the poopy diapers really okay in a lidless bucket for 2-4 days?  I didn't think I'd want them unlidded for even a few minutes.

Maybe location is something I should have asked about.  I was thinking about a receptacle for the nursery, to go near the changing pad/table.  Is this where you keep yours?

#5 of 14 Old 12-28-2011, 02:02 PM

Mine is in the kitchen bag.gif behind folding doors in a storage closet.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#6 of 14 Old 12-28-2011, 02:08 PM

I made a wet bag for next to nothing (just used some of the PUL I already had on hand for diapers, and bought a zipper) and hung it near the toilet since we also use family cloth. When it is time to wash diapers, I unzip it, dump the diapers in the washer, and then toss in the bag, too. I haven't had any odor problems at all. And I can take it with me when I go out, so I don't need a separate receptacle for outings.

#7 of 14 Old 12-28-2011, 02:10 PM

I have a REALLY cool bag for when we go out! http://www.childrenteachingmama.com/2011/10/planet-wise-wetdry-sport-bag-review.html

#8 of 14 Old 12-28-2011, 09:35 PM

I use this

http://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Easy-Saver-Diaper/dp/B0009A4FBQ/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1325136825&sr=8-12

I got it used from someone and I see similar ones on craigslist all the time.  It holds a days worth of dirty diapers and my kid goes through a lot in a day.  It doesn't smell either

Awesome vegan mom to wolverine babyf.gif11/11 and sabertooth 11/13 and partner to a drum.gifwe also have dog2.gif

#9 of 14 Old 12-29-2011, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSlocombe View Post

Thanks for the answers so far!  Chel, are the poopy diapers really okay in a lidless bucket for 2-4 days?  I didn't think I'd want them unlidded for even a few minutes.

Maybe location is something I should have asked about.  I was thinking about a receptacle for the nursery, to go near the changing pad/table.  Is this where you keep yours?

If you ebf, it doesn't really smell, though my dd poop smelled like auntie Anne pretzels!

Once on solids it can smell, but I wipe out the poop from the diapers and it is rarely bad.

I keep the diaper pail in my laundry room.  It's right across from the bathroom where I change dd.  no room in there for a pail

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#10 of 14 Old 12-29-2011, 02:52 PM

I use a container like this http://www.amazon.com/Deep-Clip-Soft-Fern-Latches/dp/B004QJM0DG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1325199566&sr=8-3. I wash every 2-3 days and then wipe the container out when I do wash. We don't have any problems with smell, and it just sits next to our changing table. You can get one for $5-15 from Target (or any department store). Good Luck!

Mom to Parker and Isaac 6/23/11  familybed2.gifslingtwin.gifcd.gif nocirc.gif

697/2012

#11 of 14 Old 12-29-2011, 03:46 PM

I just use a plastic bucket and lid. Works very well. They cost very little, and can even be free.

I am not a vegetable. I feed myself accordingly love.gif

#12 of 14 Old 12-30-2011, 10:02 PM

I use this one: http://www.omahababystore.com/Diaper-Pail-52qt_p_258.html

The odor is not a problem-- until we open it!  :) 

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#13 of 14 Old 12-31-2011, 03:07 AM

We found one at the hardware store.  It's an ordinary garbage pail and has a removable section inside.  It's like two garbage pails, one inside the other. 

The inside one has a handle on it and it makes it easy to pull the pail out and take it to the washing machine.  Then it can be rinsed out and replaced.

30 years old,  part time wheelchair.gif,  Living in Australia with my DH and belly.gif with IVF bubba #1 after a long long time of ttc.  Very grateful we've made it this far.  Due March 2012

I enjoy these activities:  sewmachine.gif     crochetsmilie.gif       geek.gif        greenthumb.gif

Planning on  bfinfant.gif      femalesling.GIF    cd.gif   

#14 of 14 Old 01-02-2012, 10:28 AM

You don't need anything special.  We have a Rubbermaid can with one of those pedals on the bottom that lifts the lid when you step on it.  We got it at our loca lhardware store and I am sure it is the kind of things you can get just about anywhere.  A couple of liners and you are good to go.

I recall when I was first researching cloth diapers that several website recomended  this system and said that there was no need for the lid to be airtight - in fact it would be less stinky if there was a little circulation.

I agree that if ebf the poop  isn't really stinky at all.  The only time I remember our diaper pail being stinky was on really hot  days during the summer when the boys were toddlers.  I just ended up washing every night instead of every two or three days.

treehugger.gif homemaker mama to jumpers.gif and stork-boy.gif due in March

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page