What happened to Chinese prefolds? Also-- need a recommendation! - Mothering Forums
Diapering > What happened to Chinese prefolds? Also-- need a recommendation!
Mizelenius's Avatar Mizelenius 10:32 AM 12-31-2011

The title pretty much says it all . . .I have Indian prefolds but like my old Chinese ones more.  Why are these so hard to find now?  When I bought prefolds (years ago), the choices were limited in terms of cotton ones, but now there seem to be SO many brands/variations. 

I am looking for cotton prefolds to Snappi-- not ones that I will trifold into a cover.  Seems like prefolds are shorter now?  Any recommendations for ones I can use with a Snappi?

Folding and bulk are not issues  for me.  I'd rather fold than have a million different-sized PFs (like the ones from Green Mountain).  I also prefer with 8 layers in the middle (not 6).

Thank you!

Mom2M's Avatar Mom2M 10:36 PM 12-31-2011
I got these http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=89 and have snappied them for a long time with no visible wear. I think the quality is great and I also like them longer.
Mizelenius's Avatar Mizelenius 08:35 AM 01-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2M View Post

I got these http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=89 and have snappied them for a long time with no visible wear. I think the quality is great and I also like them longer.

I saw those, but sadly, no infant available ATM.  I was thinking about getting their Indian ones-- not sure if you have tried those?

birdhappy85's Avatar birdhappy85 12:54 PM 01-01-2012

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2M View Post

I have these same ones in infant size green stitching but I bought them at a store in our local birthing center that sells cloth diaper supplies. They buy a lot of their stuff from Cotton Babies. Mizelenius, would there possibly be a store near you that sells cloth diapers locally you could find them at?

I've been CDing for 5 weeks with my newborn since day 3 and find pros and cons between Indian vs. Chinese PFs. We use a dozen of those Cotton Babies green stitched CPFs and a dozen of the Green Mountain Diaper orange stitched IPFs. The Indian ones are softer and maintain more flexibility (definite pro); Chinese are a tad stiffer. I also liked that I didn't have to fold the GMD IPFs since they snappi fit perfectly being shorter but wider. However, our baby will be outgrowing those probably around 7 weeks but she will still fit in the longer CPFs well after that. Another con: the GMD IPFs seem to soak with pee all the way up the entire prefold, which doesn't seem comfortable for the baby. In contrast, the CPFs from Cotton Babies retain the moisture more centrally and don't soak all the way up with the same amount of urine. I like that a lot better. So I can understand your dilemma with wanting CPFs. My DH and I like using both, though.

Mizelenius's Avatar Mizelenius 07:51 PM 01-01-2012

birdhappy-- no stores are nearby.  Too lazy to make the trek to one!

Yeah, I agree-- CPFs and IPFs have their pluses and minuses.  I am not too picky except for the sizing . . .that is the main issue for me since I don't want them shorter, which many people actually prefer because they trifold into covers, whereas I Snappi. 

Cotton Babies is so cheap . . .I am just going to get the rest there to round out the CPFs I already have. 

How nice that your DH will actually use prefolds!  My husband does not like them, or CDs in general.  I have a ton of Fuzzi Bunz for our toddler already stuffed so that he has no excuse, so he does use those.  He will use prefolds, but only when complaining . . .not worth it!

Personally, I love prefolds and would use them all the way until PL, but there is a point where I am too tired to keep chasing a child for diaper changes to deal with them-- pockets and such are easier at that point.  Other than that, I'd stick with prefolds forever!  I am thinking of trying our GM Workhorse fitteds w/o the snaps when my DD gets to the running away stage! 

Mom2M's Avatar Mom2M 06:10 AM 01-02-2012
I didn't buy the Indian prefolds at Cottonbabies but someone gave me a few and I liked them. I did like how soft they were but they were a little shorter. I guess I like them long also because I never trifold them and I like having that bit folded down in the front. It seems to block any wicking and she doesn't get wet up to the top of the cover.
I really like their customer service also, they responded right away.
I don't know if you line dry but this is what I found with these.
The CPF are nice and soft if you dry them in the dryer. Line drying them makes them a little too stiff whereas the IPF are less stiff line dried. I ended up drying them for 15 min in the dryer first and then hanging them the rest of the time and they were good.

I love that my DH also likes prefolds. We have fuzzi bunz and he thought he would only use them but turned out that he decided prefolds were better. We do stuff the fuzzi bunz at night and use woolies over them so there is no pee smell on the sheets and she is dry on her skin in the morning!

lapricesitaleia's Avatar lapricesitaleia 11:15 PM 01-02-2012

I use Chinese Prefolds (have fuzzibunz and bumgenius but prefer prefolds) that I bought at a store local to me ( http://www.punkernoodlebaby.com/item/Green_Earth_Textiles_Chinese_Prefolds_Pack/1909/c69 )  for my dd when she was about 11mo old and love them!  No issues with damage from snappis at all can't even see that they are used after 1 year.  I bought toddler since she was a big girl and kept getting bigger, after walking she of course has only gotten taller and no bigger so they are a little bulky on her but with folding and snappis the fit is good, and the absorbency is great!  I agree bulk and folding have not been problems for us either.  I use with thirsties covers.

The woman who runs pundernoodle is super sweet and helpful.  She also recommended a diaper detergent that we love so much we have started using it for all our laundry called CountrySave - just throwing that out there ;-)

Best of luck and happy new year!

amautik's Avatar amautik 11:57 AM 01-03-2012

I've ordered from Tiny Tush before, and have been very satisfied with their service.  They sell Chinese prefolds, though I've never used them.  

http://www.tinytush.com/Chinese-Prefold-Diapers-One-Dozen_p_632.html

Thursday Girl's Avatar Thursday Girl 05:22 AM 01-04-2012

my experience with cottonbabies CPF vs IPF.

CPF -were stiffer and too long to start with leaving the bulky bit folded at their bellies which I wasn't overly fond of. The wetness did stay more local to the area in which is was deposited.

IPF- were much softer and I reached for these first. They were shorter so when they grew out of these it was to the CPF although you could sort of still use these in a pinch.

I did move to pockets when they got older and used the both types of prefolds to stuff the pockets. (this helps with wiggly baby, although since pockets didn't fit my 2nd CD baby as well I tended to use more fitteds or prefolds as a prefold)

after diapering 2 kids the indians wear starting to shred more than the CPF BUT that could be b/c

a) I preffered them to CPF and

b) b/c I had a lot more CPF so each one was used less often then each IPF

Tags: Diapering
Up