What do you do with "shot" CDs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-01-2012, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm looking for some creative ideas here from all you CDing moms.

I don't know if it's my kid or my machine that's so hard on the dipes, but the fitteds all have holes in the leg casings, which makes them unsuitable for resale.  But it seems such a waste to just throw them in the trash, YK?  Velcro/snaps and elastic make them unsuitable for anything like rags without some sewing, but if I'm going to sew them it seems I might be able to come up with something better to do with them. 

So what have you done with them?  Heard of being done with them?  Thought of doing with them?  Hit me with your best ideas, I have dozens of them sitting here and i can't resell them. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#2 of 10 Old 01-02-2012, 04:41 PM

I have the same predicament... hoping to hear some good ideas.

#3 of 10 Old 01-03-2012, 11:05 AM

I'm not sure about fitted diapers.  Flats and prefolds make great rags.  You can use a cover or pocket diaper with defective PUL as a swim diaper.  I too am getting to the point that some of mine need to be replaced b/c the PUL is wearing out.  I use pockets with microfiber inserts sorry I'm not much help. 

#4 of 10 Old 01-03-2012, 03:39 PM

Thanks for the swim diaper suggestion.

#5 of 10 Old 01-04-2012, 06:03 PM

If they're in the sort of shape that you'd use them on another kid of your own but just not sellable, go ahead and list them on ebay for just the cost of shipping.  It'd be sort of like giving them to charity - I'm sure there are plenty of parents out there in need of cheap diapers who aren't going to be too picky about a few holes in the leg casings.  If they're worse than that... maybe you could cut them down and make them doll diapers (of course one only needs a couple doll diapers).  If they're 100% cotton or hemp they can be composted - just cut off the velcro, snaps and elastic first.

Work at home, homesteading mom sharing child care 50/50 with my wonderful WAH DH. DD1 born Jan. 2010.   March '12.   DD2 & DD3 (twins) born Feb. 2013
#6 of 10 Old 01-05-2012, 11:24 AM

If your fitted diapers have a separate thicker 'panel' sewn down the middle, you can cut off all the surplus fabric on either side of the panel and transform what's left for use as Diaper Doublers. If you happen to have a sewing machine with a 'serge' setting, running it around all the edges will also help tie down any loose ends.

Hope that's helpful! ~ Heather from Baby Bunz & Co.

#7 of 10 Old 01-06-2012, 03:30 PM

You could send to someone to have them repaired and then donated to someone in need. 

#8 of 10 Old 01-07-2012, 09:27 PM

Could you make your own menstrual pads out of them?  Just an idea I have had, but never tried.  I bet it would work.

Right now: femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif

Soon to be: dh_malesling.GIF femalesling.GIF and familybed2.gif

#9 of 10 Old 01-26-2012, 06:37 PM

I have a few fitted diapers that are pretty much useless too.  We got them second-hand (I wouldn't be surprised if they were third- or fourth-hand) from somebody who gave us a big garbage bag of baby clothes when I was pregnant, and they just don't work very well anymore.  Besides just being generally dingy and kinda gross (not even the sun would take out these weird stains in them during the sunniest summer days), they don't absorb well.  They're pretty much at the garbage (or compost, I see from a post on this thread) or rag stage.  But, like you said, it's kind of awkward for rags because of the shape, thickness, and elastic.

I like Heather's suggestion for the doubler, but these are past that point.

So assuming I do go with the rag idea, anyone have any 'specialty rag' ideas?  Like, are these amazing at a certain cleaning task?  A couple of these used to be flannel...well, still are, I guess, but not so fuzzy anymore!  And the other one is regular ol' cotton. 

#10 of 10 Old 01-31-2012, 11:35 AM

With some kinds of diapers, you can cut them up and use them as stuffing in things like pillows, dolls and toys, etc. that you might make. 

Great thread, I'm also wondering what to do with all my shot pockets...I don't need this many swim diapers winky.gif

Mama to Butterfly, B(ee), Bug, and Laniecakes

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page