Breaking in CDs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-08-2012, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi folks.

Thanks for all of the great advice you've offered so far.  I have another question for you.

How do you suggest breaking in new cotton CDs and PUL covers?  How many washes?  Another forum suggests breaking in using Dawn dishwashing liquid.  Has anyone here tried that - and is that necessary, or is laundry detergent ok (Charlie's Soap, etc)?

thanks!

#2 of 4 Old 01-08-2012, 01:10 PM

PUL covers only need a quick wash in regular detergent to prep.  Cotton CD need 5-8 washes in HOT water to prep.  You can use either Dawn or your reg diaper detergent to wash them.  Some use no detergent to prep but it may take more washes to get all the natural oils out.  

Here is blog about prepping diapers. http://www.29diapers.com/2010/08/31/how-to-prep-your-cloth-diapers-for-use/

Good luck.

#3 of 4 Old 01-08-2012, 03:34 PM

It's a bit of a waste of water and time IMHO to wash them separately for so many washes.  I would just throw them in with your regular laundry when you have a small load to do - hot or cold (cold works fine - just may take more total washes to get to full absorbency).  And when you need to start using them just start using them whether or not they've been fully "prepped."  They won't be at their full absorbency until they've been washed 5-8 times, but what's the big deal?  Newborns won't be using the full capacity of the diaper for the first few weeks anyway.  When you're switching to larger sizes you can continue to use the old "fully prepped" diapers for times when you need that full absorbency, using the new unprepped diapers only during the day when you're at home, and slowly switch over to using only the new diapers as they get broken in.  That's what's worked for us.  I hate wasting water - especially hot water - saving resources is the whole reason we're doing CDs to start with!

Work at home, homesteading mom sharing child care 50/50 with my wonderful WAH DH. DD1 born Jan. 2010.   March '12.   DD2 & DD3 (twins) born Feb. 2013
#4 of 4 Old 01-08-2012, 03:57 PM

I do what brambleberry said.  I wash in cold even to prep.  They still absorb fine.

Awesome vegan mom to wolverine babyf.gif11/11 and sabertooth 11/13 and partner to a drum.gifwe also have dog2.gif

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page