Wanting to start using cloth diapers...any advice on which ones? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-16-2012, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would like to start using cloth diapers, but am not sure which ones to use?  The ones that I am more interested in are the ones with the waterproof outer shell with the liner inserts.  There are so many brands.  Which one's are you using?  How many would be needed so could possibly go 1 day without doing laundry?  Thank you!

Me, 31yo SAHM  wash.gif, married to my wonderful husband  joy.gif, and have 3 amazing boys!  Landen REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif7/17/03,   Izaksuperhero.gif7/31/05,and Nicholas babyboy.gif 4/22/11.  And just found out that we are expecting a girl stork-girl.gif!     caffix.gif    familybed1.gif    wool.gif    praying.gif

#2 of 12 Old 01-17-2012, 07:52 AM

I tried 5 different brands and then moved to diapers with no water proof liner and wool covers (we use Goodmamas during the day and Sandys at night). I am a true convert to this type of diapering so I cannot recommend diapering the way you want to but I can tell you which brands did not work for us and why.

We hated Gdiapers, if you use all cloth they leak all the time and are prone to ammonia issues. It got to the point where I had to boil the diapers for 30 min. before EVERY wash. I have twins so those were out! The other one we hated was Grovia. Those have several layers of PUL and gave my girls constant diaper rash because they do not breath at all.

The only way you can really avoid doing laundry everyday is to have a giant stash. Since we have TWO babies I have never been able to build up our stash to that point. Maybe if I had started with this type of diapering in the first place and didn't waste so much money on the other diapers...

Hopefully this helps, feel free to ask any questions.

Wife to DH  dh_malesling.GIF Momma to twin girls slingtwin.gif cloth diapering, no vaxing, family bed, organic living, eating and wearing family! treehugger.gif

#3 of 12 Old 01-17-2012, 11:55 AM

I second the comment of NOT using diapers that are all cloth...we have 2 of them and they are the 2 diapers in our stash that constantly leak! I really like Thirsties Duo Wraps (outer shell) with the Thirsties hemp/cotton insert. These have worked the best for us. My girl has gotten some diaper rash, but I think it may be irritation from the wipes. I make my own wipes and the new soap I'm using in them dries her skin (i think), but I'm still trying to figure that all out.

We have about 18 inserts and 6 outer shells and I wash a load of diapers every other day. For the outer shell we have mostly snaps, but one with velcro. I really like the snaps, although my husband says they take longer to put on. I've heard that snaps are great for when your child is old enough and tries to take his/her diaper off, but we're not there just yet. I prefer the snaps because I feel like the velcro irritates her belly sometimes. I would suggest going on Thirsites website...there is a TON of helpful info and a list of suggested amount to buy for first-timers. Good luck- I love CDing!

#4 of 12 Old 01-17-2012, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input!  I have been checking out websites, but there is just so many of them that I do not know where to start.  My son is 8mo old so not sure if going to use them for him ( I would like to but not too sure about hubby) but we are planning on having more babies and will definetly use them for those lil ones.  I also just started making my own wipes!  I like them so much better!

Me, 31yo SAHM  wash.gif, married to my wonderful husband  joy.gif, and have 3 amazing boys!  Landen REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif7/17/03,   Izaksuperhero.gif7/31/05,and Nicholas babyboy.gif 4/22/11.  And just found out that we are expecting a girl stork-girl.gif!     caffix.gif    familybed1.gif    wool.gif    praying.gif

#5 of 12 Old 01-17-2012, 02:07 PM

I use the cloth gdiapers and LOVE them; so far we've had absolutely zero issues with either leakage or buildup (I see that Twinpossible had the exact opposite experience, so I really don't know how helpful this will be).  We have 9 outer shells and 36 of the cloth inserts which allows me to do laundry every 2 1/2 - 3 days, not so bad.

#6 of 12 Old 01-17-2012, 02:33 PM

If you don't mind MIC, I have been quite happy with my Alvababy diapers.  We were on a tight budget, and I got a stash that lasts us 4 days with our three month old for less than $100 bucks.  I have some swaddlebees, dry-bees, and organic caboose as well, and as far as I can tell they have done just as well.  If you aren't positive about making the switch, they might be good to try out.  They are one-size pocket diapers.

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#7 of 12 Old 01-25-2012, 02:19 PM

Another vote for Thirsties duo wrap snap with either a tri-folded prefold or hemp/cotton insert.

We have also used Bum Genius 4.0 dipes.  I really like the way they fit and feel, but I prefer the Thirsties style over the pocket style.  You can lay an insert on the BG just like you do Thirsties, but sometimes if baby poops, you have to launder the BG cover.  Whereas, you can rinse a Thirsties cover with hot water and maybe a little soap, hang it to dry for like an hour, and reuse.

step-mommy to babygirl.gif (11), mommy to babyboy.gif (5), babyboy.gif (3) vbac.gif babygirl.gif (0) vbac.gif

sweet little one in Heaven angel2.gif ~ about 7 weeks 3 days ~ 12-28-11

#8 of 12 Old 01-25-2012, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info!  I will start looking around soon.

#9 of 12 Old 01-25-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livacreature View Post

If you don't mind MIC, I have been quite happy with my Alvababy diapers.  We were on a tight budget, and I got a stash that lasts us 4 days with our three month old for less than $100 bucks.  I have some swaddlebees, dry-bees, and organic caboose as well, and as far as I can tell they have done just as well.  If you aren't positive about making the switch, they might be good to try out.  They are one-size pocket diapers.

I had never heard of that brand, but they look pretty nice for the price!  And free express shipping.  They look a lot like Thirsties.  Do they have gussets?

step-mommy to babygirl.gif (11), mommy to babyboy.gif (5), babyboy.gif (3) vbac.gif babygirl.gif (0) vbac.gif

sweet little one in Heaven angel2.gif ~ about 7 weeks 3 days ~ 12-28-11

#10 of 12 Old 01-26-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccajm View Post

I had never heard of that brand, but they look pretty nice for the price!  And free express shipping.  They look a lot like Thirsties.  Do they have gussets?

They don't have leg gussets, but the legs do fit pretty snug.  I like that you can order just one to check them out and shipping is still free.  I've looked at some of the nicer diapers and can feel a difference, but we haven't had many leaks or anything with these, so I'm happy with them.  Now that they've been in use for a while and have been washed a lot, they are so much more absorbent then when we first started after three washes.

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#11 of 12 Old 01-26-2012, 06:23 PM

I'm a big fan of Bummis.  We trifold prefolds and lay them in the cover.  Easy peasy. 

#12 of 12 Old 01-27-2012, 08:42 AM

montanamomof3- What do you make your own wipes out of? I currently use some reusables that were given to me (made of bamboo) but they are falling apart like crazy and I'd like to make some of my own. Thanks!!

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page