Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 03-06-2012, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lactatinggirl View Post

Quote:

Thanks this is exactly what I needed! I got some wool sweaters from the thrift store and I was thinking I'd make one of the big ones into a puddle pad, but wasn't sure quite how. Did you felt it at all?

DD1 is almost 3 and we used gDiapers with her, but she got awful rashes all the time. I think now that it was because the liners aren't breathable, so I decided I wanted to use natural fibers with DD2. DD2 is now 6 weeks old, so we're pretty new into our wool journey. We're using GMD prefolds and few different covers. I've gotten some etsy upcycled wool longies and plan on trying to make some of my own too. I also got some knitted soakers off etsy, but I think they're too big because when DD2 poos it goes out the leg hole. How tight should they be on the legs to prevent that? I'm also almost done knitting some wool longies that I started right after she was born. It's hard to find time to knit when I have two kids. :-P

So I have a wool question. It seems like every time I wash her longies, it takes like 2-3 days for them to dry. Is that normal? Is there any way to make them take less time to dry? When just a bit of poo leaks on the cover, do you wash the whole thing? I saw someone talking about spot cleaning before. How do you do that?

How are you drying them?  Are you doing the "jelly roll" first to get all the excess water out? 

Sarah, partner to J and mom to DD1 April 30th, 2002 and DD2 May 5th, 2012. love.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 40 Old 03-06-2012, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've been rolling them in a towel and then laying them flat to dry. Is that what you mean?

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#33 of 40 Old 03-06-2012, 10:40 PM

Subbing!! I'll be back to post later!!!

#34 of 40 Old 03-07-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:

I've been rolling them in a towel and then laying them flat to dry. Is that what you mean?

I roll in a towel, squeeze, and then hang over the shower curtain rod or towel bar to dry... better air flow to dry both sides at once, faster than laying flat.  Still takes about 24 hours.

#35 of 40 Old 03-07-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:

Yes.  :)  Hanging them up might help them dry a little faster.

Sarah, partner to J and mom to DD1 April 30th, 2002 and DD2 May 5th, 2012. love.gif

#36 of 40 Old 03-07-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroodyWoodsgal View Post
For my early June "due" NB I have:

14 good NB fitted dipes

a dozen preemie pfs

a bunsh of small pf

2-3 wool covers.

I'm getting feedback on MDC and in real life from cloth diapering friends (who mostly use pockets, PUL, Gs, etc) that I need many more NB and Sm covers than I have. I agree that I need more...but I was going to get more wool and everyone is telling me that I need to be looking into more thirsties/PUL/fleece style covers because I'm going to be washing them all the time from poop blow outs.

What type of wool covers do you have?  Shorties, wraps??  We used prefolds with wool covers during the newborn phase.  I bought several different styles of covers while I was pregnant, and I'm really glad I had them on hand once dd was born.  There is such a wide range of fit for different babies, and that really affected leakage/blowouts.  Our best newborn covers were wrap covers with velcro fastener and leg gussets.  The velcro gave a little more adjustability to snug the legs and waist better.  We had a lot more leaks with longies and shorties, but they would probably work better with fitteds... had to use a snappi or pins on the prefolds with these too, but didn't need them with the wraps.  I'm guessing we probably had 6-8 covers in the smallest size... would have been nice to know beforehand what styles fit best on our dd though!

#37 of 40 Old 03-07-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brambleberry View Post
With #2 I'd like to make a few wool sleep sacks to serve as diaper covers in order to streamline the changing process during the infant months.  We'd dress baby in t-shirts rather than onesies (which DH never liked anyways - why the extra snaps?) and a fitted diaper, and the sleep sack would take the place of both the diaper cover and the pants or sleeper.  I hate trying to pull pants onto a stiff-limbed newborn.  I can't remember at what age we stopped using sleep sacks (I mean regular sleep sacks - we didn't have any wool ones) for dressing DD during the day... I should probably make some wool sleepers with legs... anyone have any suggestions as to what size to start making those in?

Ditto - I can't understand the onesie love... they were in the way and extra work, too tight over wool/cloth bums, and a real pain when we started EC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post
I finally made sleep sacks last winter.  One I knit out of lambs pride and the other I sewed out of a couple of old felted wool sweaters.  I didn't really have a pattern- I just kind of winged it.  I did use a V- neck sweater because that seemed better with new baby wobbly head...  I put an i-cord in the bottom and needle felted on it.  It turned out adorable :)  I would just play around with some thrifted sweaters and see what you come up with using some other baby clothes as a sample.  

I'd love to see some photos of your sleep sacks!  I'd like to try making some, but can't decide on the style.  DD1 hated anything going on over her head, so I'm thinking a zip or kimono snap design instead of a pullover.  I can't decide if I want to do sleeves or sleeveless.  And I'm not sure how I want to do the opening at the bottom either... I was trying to think of a way to make the whole lower half open so I wouldn't have to wiggle it up over dc's legs and so the back half would still lay under dc for a built in changing pad.  Design still needs some thinkin' through.  

#38 of 40 Old 03-09-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treehugz View Post

DD1 hated anything going on over her head, so I'm thinking a zip or kimono snap design instead of a pullover.  I can't decide if I want to do sleeves or sleeveless.  And I'm not sure how I want to do the opening at the bottom either... I was trying to think of a way to make the whole lower half open so I wouldn't have to wiggle it up over dc's legs and so the back half would still lay under dc for a built in changing pad.  Design still needs some thinkin' through.  

You can get zippers that zip up from the bottom and zip down from the top.  A lot of cardigans use them.  so you can change without uncovering the chest.  You can also take a zipper off an old coat that unfastens at the bottom and flip it around so that it unfastens at the top of the sleeper.  It's a little hard to explain... so when you unzip the sleeper you're always unzipping it from the bottom and then unfastening the two parts of the zipper under the chin.  If you want to get really fancy you can add slits for the seat belt to thread through and use the sleeper out and about all day!  I added a little extra flap of wool over the inside of the slit so that baby wouldn't stick her foot through - like an upside down pocket that covers the slit on the inside.

Work at home, homesteading mom sharing child care 50/50 with my wonderful WAH DH. DD1 born Jan. 2010.   March '12.   DD2 & DD3 (twins) born Feb. 2013
#39 of 40 Old 03-09-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:

I was trying to think of a way to make the whole lower half open so I wouldn't have to wiggle it up over dc's legs and so the back half would still lay under dc for a built in changing pad.  Design still needs some thinkin' through.  

Oops! I didn't read the post closely enough. Sorry!  I didn't catch the part about leaving the back half as a changing pad.  Great idea!  I think you would have to add another zipper that wraps around the sides and bottom...  I'm not sure if they make them that long or not.  You could do two that start under the arms and meet in the middle at the bottom...

Work at home, homesteading mom sharing child care 50/50 with my wonderful WAH DH. DD1 born Jan. 2010.   March '12.   DD2 & DD3 (twins) born Feb. 2013
#40 of 40 Old 03-13-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:

What type of wool covers do you have?  Shorties, wraps??  We used prefolds with wool covers during the newborn phase.  I bought several different styles of covers while I was pregnant, and I'm really glad I had them on hand once dd was born.  There is such a wide range of fit for different babies, and that really affected leakage/blowouts.  Our best newborn covers were wrap covers with velcro fastener and leg gussets.  The velcro gave a little more adjustability to snug the legs and waist better.  We had a lot more leaks with longies and shorties, but they would probably work better with fitteds... had to use a snappi or pins on the prefolds with these too, but didn't need them with the wraps.  I'm guessing we probably had 6-8 covers in the smallest size... would have been nice to know beforehand what styles fit best on our dd though!

Where did you get your wraps? I've been interested in them, but don't know where to look. 

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

Tags
Diapering

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page