Any other wool users? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 01-28-2012, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I noticed that wool using mommas tend to have a TON in common in the way we parent. Just sending a shout out to see if there are any other wooly mommas, it would be nice to get a thread going about our type of diapering and to share resources to feed our wool obsession :)

(Admin - can we have our own forum if there are enough of us?)

I'll introduce us - We have 9 month twin girls, we rock the Goodmama diapers and I have totally fallen down the rabbit's hole with wool! Always on the hunt for new woolies, right now I am stocking the Facebook wool swap page :)

Wife to DH  dh_malesling.GIF Momma to twin girls slingtwin.gif cloth diapering, no vaxing, family bed, organic living, eating and wearing family! treehugger.gif

#2 of 40 Old 01-29-2012, 07:30 PM

We've used almost exclusively wool from day one.  We got some g-diapers with flushable inserts for our baby shower and used them a little for trips and overnight diapers when dd was an infant, but we much prefer the wool.  I've made almost all of her diaper covers from used sweaters.  We did get a few hand-me downs, but I can't recommend any of them.  For the infant stage we preferred wraps with good stretchy leg gussets.   Once dd started walking we found shorties and longies more convenient.  I love the wool pants in the winter!  It's so convenient to not have a separate diaper cover, they keep her warm, and wool doesn't show dirt like other fabrics.  We always use fitted cotton diapers under the wool now.  We started out trying to do prefolds, but dd had extra explosive poo and we got tired of spot-washing the edges of the wool covers.  We have a very mixed collection of fitteds including $2 ea used from ebay and some we really love from etsy.com sellers ("Chubbie Bums" and  "Organic Hideaway") that only cost from $5-$6 each.  For night time we use a bigger fitted diaper with an additional thick soaker pad, a wool wrap and wool one-piece pajamas in winter, or just a double-thickness wool wrap in summer.  

DD is 24 months old and we are expecting another in late september.  With #2 I'd like to make a few wool sleep sacks to serve as diaper covers in order to streamline the changing process during the infant months.  We'd dress baby in t-shirts rather than onesies (which DH never liked anyways - why the extra snaps?) and a fitted diaper, and the sleep sack would take the place of both the diaper cover and the pants or sleeper.  I hate trying to pull pants onto a stiff-limbed newborn.  I can't remember at what age we stopped using sleep sacks (I mean regular sleep sacks - we didn't have any wool ones) for dressing DD during the day... I should probably make some wool sleepers with legs... anyone have any suggestions as to what size to start making those in?

Work at home, homesteading mom sharing child care 50/50 with my wonderful WAH DH. DD1 born Jan. 2010.   March '12.   DD2 & DD3 (twins) born Feb. 2013
#3 of 40 Old 01-31-2012, 09:12 PM

Ok, I feel a bit odd posting this here because I unfortunatley did not fall truly madly deeply for wool covers. In fact, we have not used those covers (we had purchased for nighttime) in maybe a year. There still remains a burning question, however, one that I was hoping you of all people could maybe shed some light on. I noticed in the above post one mamma stated she always uses fitteds under her wool -longies I think it was... I tried using mild baby soap (with lanolin&without) to wash out baby poop smears but it did not work. I tried re-lanolizing it afterwords because I thought maybe that was it but no matter what I did to that cover, after it got that stain on it, it would wick right out of that spot to whatever dh was wearing. It was a large stain right in the middle front that had seeped through the prefolds. I had bought two 'swaddlebees' wool covers and paid the price at least $35 ea. I am obviously a little jaded and I believe rightfully so but I did have such high hopes for those covers and to progress to longies too really, so I thought maybe you would know where to start. 

#4 of 40 Old 01-31-2012, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Couple suggestions for you smile.gif

Poop is always hard to get off any cover! I soak my wool overnight in Sodason wool wash maybe once a month or if they get poopy. Then I run them in a spin cycle and sun dry in a window. If stains are really in the fibers you can run a COLD wash on gentle with wool wash then sun dry. Washing my wool is much more simple then other clothes once I got the hang of it smile.gif

Wife to DH  dh_malesling.GIF Momma to twin girls slingtwin.gif cloth diapering, no vaxing, family bed, organic living, eating and wearing family! treehugger.gif

#5 of 40 Old 02-01-2012, 06:24 PM

I'm not sure, but I would guess that the problem is the Swaddlebees and not the poop stain.  I had two hand-me-downs that I'm pretty sure were Swaddlebees, that simply DID NOT WORK.  It was something about the texture of the fabric I think, I don't know.  I would lanolize them to death and they would still wick right through.  My felted wool hand-made covers and other felted wool factory mades I was given worked great.  How can a company make something like that for that price and have it just not work?  I did a little searching for reviews out of curiosity and found some similar sentiments.  Also, if you got them for overnight that is a little more of a challenge.  I use two layers of thick wool for overnight and you HAVE to have enough diaper absorbency under the cover because once the diaper is filled up the pee has to go somewhere.    That's true for any diaper system.  

However, I don't want to second-guess your experience either.  Maybe it is the poop stain causing wicking.  I never had a stain in the middle of a cover, only on the edges where it's less likely to wick to clothes.  I would try soaking in dish soap, rinsing well several times including once with vinegar, and then re-lanolizing.  This is just an educated guess as to what might work for a stubborn stain, I never had to resort to anything other than my Biokleen laundry liquid mixed with a little lanolin.  

Work at home, homesteading mom sharing child care 50/50 with my wonderful WAH DH. DD1 born Jan. 2010.   March '12.   DD2 & DD3 (twins) born Feb. 2013
#6 of 40 Old 02-02-2012, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

True, it could be the brand. Just because it is expensive does not mean it is high quality wool :( Every once in a while I try something new and I am really disappointed in the wool quality. If you are interested in really good quality wool I can point you in the right direction biggrinbounce.gif

#7 of 40 Old 02-07-2012, 06:21 PM

I love wool covers but don't CD 100% of the time.  I have almost all hand knit covers/shorties/ and Longies.  Soooo adorable and insanely practical.  I finally put away all my PUL covers because they really suck compared to my wool stash.  My favorite pattern is picky pants and my fav yarn is probably lambs pride- but that could just be because I love single ply.  I also have some super $$  merino wool hand knit covers that are just lovely.  I learned to knit just to do Longies :)  That might be a new level of obsession!  I finally made sleep sacks last winter.  One I knit out of lambs pride and the other I sewed out of a couple of old felted wool sweaters.  I didn't really have a pattern- I just kind of winged it.  I did use a V- neck sweater because that seemed better with new baby wobbly head...  I put an i-cord in the bottom and needle felted on it.  It turned out adorable :)  I would just play around with some thrifted sweaters and see what you come up with using some other baby clothes as a sample.  

I don't lanolinize anymore.  My covers work awesome without it.  Not really sure why either. 

Mamas- if you haven't tried them yet you must try wool nursing pads!  They are seriously the most awesome things in the world!  I love love Lanacare ones!

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#8 of 40 Old 02-09-2012, 02:23 PM

Can you share the link to the FB wool swap page?  I tried searching, but couldn't find it.

I plan to use wool with this LO.  I used mostly wool with DD, but that was ages ago. 

Sarah, partner to J and mom to DD1 April 30th, 2002 and DD2 May 5th, 2012. love.gif

#9 of 40 Old 02-10-2012, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

http://www.facebook.com/groups/wool.swap/

Be careful...it's super addicting ;)

#10 of 40 Old 02-10-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinpossible View Post

http://www.facebook.com/groups/wool.swap/

Be careful...it's super addicting ;)

Thanks!  I'm already a member of the Goodmamas group, so I've gotten pretty good at resisting temptation.  Although, if I had a credit card I probably wouldn't be so good.  lol 

Sarah, partner to J and mom to DD1 April 30th, 2002 and DD2 May 5th, 2012. love.gif

#11 of 40 Old 02-11-2012, 06:43 PM

I love wool as well! I can't believe i was so scared of it in the beginning & it took me at least 6mo. to get over my fear & try it for the first time. My son is almost 18mo. & i am expecting another this summer & will definitely start them off with nb wool :)  I have the fitted love as well, esp. Goodmamas but i do like to share the love. I think I'm addicted to all things fitted & wool. They are just so awesome when you have a heavy wetter not to mention cute ;)

#12 of 40 Old 02-12-2012, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmm View Post

I love wool as well! I can't believe i was so scared of it in the beginning & it took me at least 6mo. to get over my fear & try it for the first time. My son is almost 18mo. & i am expecting another this summer & will definitely start them off with nb wool :)  I have the fitted love as well, esp. Goodmamas but i do like to share the love. I think I'm addicted to all things fitted & wool. They are just so awesome when you have a heavy wetter not to mention cute ;)

yeahthat.gif

I was super nervous too...ok for at home but not when out and about then ok all the time but not in car or at night then ALL THE TIME!!! I suddenly got brave :) I also realized over time that wool does not leak like PUL covers so I was converted. Our next babies will all be wool babies from day one!

#13 of 40 Old 02-12-2012, 07:59 PM

Does anyone use wool trainers? My son is almost 18 months and has discoverd how much fun using the potty is but he can't pull off his prefolds with snappis. I'm thinking of using the growing baby green side snap covers on a larger snap so that he can pull them off and with their inserts instead of prefolds under them. The only thing is I can not find the inserts anywhere since the mama went out of business. Does anyone know where to find them. There two flaps of three layers of bamboo and zorb and snap into the diaper cover... Thanks!

be good family...

#14 of 40 Old 02-13-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinpossible View Post

yeahthat.gif

I was super nervous too...ok for at home but not when out and about then ok all the time but not in car or at night then ALL THE TIME!!! I suddenly got brave :) I also realized over time that wool does not leak like PUL covers so I was converted. Our next babies will all be wool babies from day one!

Hehe...i actually was more scared it would be high maintenance than actually leaking. I was having leaking issues with my son when he was a newb anyway w/ pockets. I used them at night first actually & then went pretty much full time. I was having a horrible time at night before i tried fitted & wool :) And it's seriously so addicting.

#15 of 40 Old 02-13-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamayogibear View Post
The only thing is I can not find the inserts anywhere since the mama went out of business. Does anyone know where to find them. There two flaps of three layers of bamboo and zorb and snap into the diaper cover... Thanks!

If you already have the covers, measure the spacing between the snaps and send a request to an etsy seller who makes snap in inserts.  One I can recommend is http://www.etsy.com/shop/twinkletoesdiapers.  

#16 of 40 Old 02-13-2012, 03:08 PM

I am planning on using wool and have made several covers already. I want to make some more wrap styles from up-cycled wool. I am having a hard time figuring out what I will like best and how many I need of each size. Any suggestions on styles and # of covers? Also , I am planning on doing EC and using wool covers with some light absorbency as back up.

Homebirthing, bedsharing, term breastfeeding attached mama to my baby girl born 7/20/2012. I love to knit.gifsewmachine.gif and bellyhair.gif. I am passionate about familybed1.gifbfinfant.giflearning.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif and trying to make all kinds of crafty things for my little one!
#17 of 40 Old 02-13-2012, 05:01 PM

I am thinking of ordering a wool sadle blanket for a piddle pad... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weaver-Lavender-Wool-Saddle-Blanket-Horse-Tack-/300644658479?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45ffd16d2f

Has anyone else tried using one?

be good family...

#18 of 40 Old 02-14-2012, 07:46 AM

Anyone have a great recommendation for a felted wool wrap?  Ds is almost 4 months and 17 pounds.  I have a Biobottoms that shrunk and he just out grew it-we really liked it.  I haven't been able to find something else we love.  I think I like the felted better than the knitted, especially for a wrap, and at this age I really don't enjoy pull ons-and neither do my kids, lol!

#19 of 40 Old 02-14-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthy View Post

Anyone have a great recommendation for a felted wool wrap? 

See if you can find Piper's Closet.  Hopefully she's still around.  I love her wool wraps.  I ordered a custom dyed, custom sized wool wrap and it was on my doorstep in a week.  I definitely want to get some more of them for this babe.  I just need to dig out my stash still and see what sizes. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#20 of 40 Old 02-15-2012, 03:21 PM

My cousin is making me one of these adorable wool rompers!  I'm so excited!  :D

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/molly-bubble-romper

#21 of 40 Old 02-16-2012, 09:16 PM

We love love love our wool! WoolyBottoms soakers are upcycled and my favorite. Those and a S'bish fitted are the perfect nighttime diaper combo.

#22 of 40 Old 02-19-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamayogibear View Post

I am thinking of ordering a wool sadle blanket for a piddle pad... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weaver-Lavender-Wool-Saddle-Blanket-Horse-Tack-/300644658479?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45ffd16d2f

Has anyone else tried using one?

We got a cheap wool blanket to use as a mattress pad for our bed (under the regular sheet).  It helps with occasional leaks from dd, but also is just so nice for everyday comfort especially in the summer when we're often a little sweaty at night.  It wicks away moisture and protects the mattress.  I also took an old wool sweater, cut the arms off and sewed up the holes, and use it as a pillow cover under my regular pillowcase.  For piddle pads I also use old sweaters - just trim a rectangle out of the back of a very large sweater and zig-zag the edges.  For a larger pad I had to sew two together, and to keep the seam flat I just overlapped the two edges about 5/8" and zig-zagged the edge of the top one and then the edge of the bottom one separately.

#23 of 40 Old 02-19-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brambleberry View Post

We got a cheap wool blanket to use as a mattress pad for our bed (under the regular sheet).  It helps with occasional leaks from dd, but also is just so nice for everyday comfort especially in the summer when we're often a little sweaty at night.  It wicks away moisture and protects the mattress.  I also took an old wool sweater, cut the arms off and sewed up the holes, and use it as a pillow cover under my regular pillowcase.  For piddle pads I also use old sweaters - just trim a rectangle out of the back of a very large sweater and zig-zag the edges.  For a larger pad I had to sew two together, and to keep the seam flat I just overlapped the two edges about 5/8" and zig-zagged the edge of the top one and then the edge of the bottom one separately.

What a great idea! I have a few old army wool blankets in the closet.     smile.gif

#24 of 40 Old 02-26-2012, 12:47 PM

Any suggestions for telling how much wool is in an old wool blanket? My mom has some blankets from the 60s (or older)  that her mom gave her and says she thinks there wool but doest know for sure. They feel like wool but really scratchy? Could I lanoloze them what would happen if they are not wool? Any suggestions for lanolizing a giant blanket?

Thanks

be good family...

#25 of 40 Old 02-27-2012, 07:06 AM

I love wool covers.  I used a little pul with my first son but most of our diapering has been done with wool covers.  I like pull-up soakers, shorties, and longies - Disana, recycled, or handknit. I have so Imse Vimse wool wraps to try with my new baby too - I found them for practically nothing at a consignment store . For my first two I used Sudz n Dudz wool wash bars and solid lanolin, but for this baby I splurged and got Imse Vimse wool shampoo and wool cure.  The wool cure is awesome!  It is soooo simple to use.

I used prefolds with my first two and this time I am using flats.  I do partial ec, catching most poops, so we don't have too much of a problem with yucky covers.

I second the wool breast pads!  I have the Lanacare ones too and they are so soft.  Much nicer than the cotton ones I had when I first nursed.

treehugger.gif homemaker mama to jumpers.gif and stork-boy.gif due in March

#26 of 40 Old 02-28-2012, 03:53 PM

Mamayogibear - You can take a clump of fuzz or a yarn from the fabric you want to test and light it with a match.  If it melts rather than burns it's not wool.  You can test something that you know is wool this way first to get a basis to compare.  A friend of my who knit would test yarn this way when she found it at thrift stores without a label.  But she would actually test it IN the store!  I would wander away and pretend not to know her whenever I saw her getting that lighter out LOL!  

I haven't tried to lanolize the blanket we use for a mattress pad.  Wool actually resists water pretty well even without the lanolin.  Lanolin does make it do a better job and supposedly neutralizes urine, but I've found it's not absolutely necessary.  

#27 of 40 Old 02-29-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:

Mamayogibear - You can take a clump of fuzz or a yarn from the fabric you want to test and light it with a match.  If it melts rather than burns it's not wool.  You can test something that you know is wool this way first to get a basis to compare.  A friend of my who knit would test yarn this way when she found it at thrift stores without a label.  But she would actually test it IN the store!  I would wander away and pretend not to know her whenever I saw her getting that lighter out LOL!  

I haven't tried to lanolize the blanket we use for a mattress pad.  Wool actually resists water pretty well even without the lanolin.  Lanolin does make it do a better job and supposedly neutralizes urine, but I've found it's not absolutely necessary.  

That's hilarious! 

Random thought:  Does anyone else here have older kids and remember FuzBomb wool covers?  Man, I miss those!

#28 of 40 Old 03-03-2012, 05:28 AM

Hey mamas!

So I wanted to know if you wool mamas have any advice for me on a NB stash question I have.

For my early June "due" NB I have:

14 good NB fitted dipes

a dozen preemie pfs

a bunsh of small pf

2-3 wool covers.

I'm getting feedback on MDC and in real life from cloth diapering friends (who mostly use pockets, PUL, Gs, etc) that I need many more NB and Sm covers than I have. I agree that I need more...but I was going to get more wool and everyone is telling me that I need to be looking into more thirsties/PUL/fleece style covers because I'm going to be washing them all the time from poop blow outs.

I don't have the experience with wool I need to back my claim that I can do it with all wool from the beginning...I'm switching to wool from Kawaii AIOs that I simply CANNOT use for another baby (I hate them) and my resistance to synthetic fibers is very strong.

What say you, wise woolie mamas!? My plan had been to get a couple more wool covers with snaps on them....but is all wool too big a pain in the tail in the NB phase??

Thank you!

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#29 of 40 Old 03-05-2012, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:

Thanks this is exactly what I needed! I got some wool sweaters from the thrift store and I was thinking I'd make one of the big ones into a puddle pad, but wasn't sure quite how. Did you felt it at all?

DD1 is almost 3 and we used gDiapers with her, but she got awful rashes all the time. I think now that it was because the liners aren't breathable, so I decided I wanted to use natural fibers with DD2. DD2 is now 6 weeks old, so we're pretty new into our wool journey. We're using GMD prefolds and few different covers. I've gotten some etsy upcycled wool longies and plan on trying to make some of my own too. I also got some knitted soakers off etsy, but I think they're too big because when DD2 poos it goes out the leg hole. How tight should they be on the legs to prevent that? I'm also almost done knitting some wool longies that I started right after she was born. It's hard to find time to knit when I have two kids. :-P

So I have a wool question. It seems like every time I wash her longies, it takes like 2-3 days for them to dry. Is that normal? Is there any way to make them take less time to dry? When just a bit of poo leaks on the cover, do you wash the whole thing? I saw someone talking about spot cleaning before. How do you do that?

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#30 of 40 Old 03-06-2012, 04:25 PM

You shouldn't have too much trouble with the squirty NB poos if you're using fitteds with nice pouchy elastics.  We started out with prefolds and I think 4-5 wool covers, and switched to fitteds because of the poo leak issues.  We occasionally had leaks onto the covers with the fitteds, but very rarely.  Even with the prefolds, the poo leaks were usually just about quarter size on the leg gussets of the covers.  To spot wash them we would hold the cover sideways under the running water so that the poo spot was parallel to the water stream, so that water would wash over the poo and not push the poo through the cloth.  (By the way, you have to do this right when you change the diaper, not the next day or even a few hours later.)  Using an old toothbrush, start by very gently dislodging the poo without scrubbing - the goal with all this is to keep the poo from getting down into the fibers of the wool.  Once the poo is visibly gone, go ahead and scrub with the brush, and use a little hand soap on it if you want.  This really doesn't take as long to do as it takes for me to explain it.  If you can avoid getting most of the diaper wet when you spot wash, it shouldn't take more than half a day or so to dry (depending on your house humidity).  

Lactatingirl - I've never tried prefolds with anything other than wrap style covers, but I can imagine that it would be a challenge to keep the poo in without either leg elastic in the diaper or in the cover...  In terms of drying time, ours don't take more than 24 hours, but I either towel dry them before hanging or if I'm doing several woolies at once I spin them dry on gentle in the washer (even if I'm lanolizing by hand.)  My current wash routine involves lots of longies, and I've gotten a little lazy with it.  I soak the woolies in a sink full of lukewarm water with soap/lanonlin mixture, do a quick little rinse, then throw them all in the washer (HE front load) and do a gentle rinse and spin cycle.  I've noticed a little extra felting from this treatment, but all of my woolies are felted to start with, and it hasn't been a problem.

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page