Diaper cover for prefolds with front/back pockets? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-16-2012, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Can anyone recommend a diaper cover that has those nice pockets inside the front (and maybe in the back, too) to tuck a prefold or folded flat diaper into?

We have always used Bumkins covers and loved them; they're so nice and trim. They used to have the pocket in the front; they just redesigned and now they have pockets in front and back. We got one of the new ones and really like it, too. Unfortunately they are also now "one size fits all," and my big little guy (currently 25 lbs) is going to be out of them in a month or two, since they no longer make XL, apparently. So we're looking around for options and would greatly appreciate any input!

DD 7/07 DS 1/11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 09:58 PM

Flip covers have the nice pockets but I'm not sure about size. They seem really big on the largest setting though. They are really affordable too. DS is 27 lbs and 10 months and they fit him fine but he's not super chunky anymore (so sad :( haha).

Old 03-05-2012, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, we'll give that a try! I wonder why more diaper covers don't have the flaps? We think they're a great feature.

DD 7/07 DS 1/11

Old 03-07-2012, 08:58 AM

Try searching for pocket diapers instead of covers. Very few covers will have pockets by pure definition of what they're used for. 

I'm a big fan of AMP diapers, and the OS can be used up to 38lbs. They also have an XL diaper available. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 03-11-2012, 08:56 AM

I agree with the Flips! I love them.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:58 PM

I, too, have a baby that's smaller than the size guide, but is pretty much out of the "one-size" diapers.  It's frustrating because it means I have to do more diaper shopping!  (Okay, I love diaper shopping, but I do hate spending money, haha.)

Rearz covers have those flaps you're talking about.  http://www.nhdcanada.com/baby-diapering-c-7.html  I've never used them personally, but I have heard they're good.

Weehuggers and Gen-Y Universal covers have the flaps too, though I find that they run a little small as well (even though they're 'two-sized' and are therefore supposed to be a little bigger than just one-sized diapers) but they might be worth a look if you have a store nearby that carries them.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:04 PM

When I was buying my first set of little diaper covers for my DD (now 2.5yrs), I was told to never stuff diapers into the flaps on covers.  Those flaps are there to cover the back side of the belly part of the cover, the part where velcro is sewn on.  The sewing machine needle is punching hundreds of holes in the PUL of the cover, essentially perforating it.  If your diaper is wet enough and there is any pressure on the baby's belly, the wetness can soak through the holes onto you or babies clothes.  If your diapers never get soaked, it shouldn't be an issue.  But I wouldn't want to risk it and get pee on everyone.

Mama to a sweet little redheaded girl, born 11/09; and my HBAC baby, little brother, born 7/12.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitneyg View Post

When I was buying my first set of little diaper covers for my DD (now 2.5yrs), I was told to never stuff diapers into the flaps on covers.  Those flaps are there to cover the back side of the belly part of the cover, the part where velcro is sewn on.  The sewing machine needle is punching hundreds of holes in the PUL of the cover, essentially perforating it.  If your diaper is wet enough and there is any pressure on the baby's belly, the wetness can soak through the holes onto you or babies clothes.  If your diapers never get soaked, it shouldn't be an issue.  But I wouldn't want to risk it and get pee on everyone.

This is true of some covers but not of others. Bummis covers have the flap that whitney describes- specifically there to protect leakage from the stitching, so don't put anything underneath it. The Flips have flaps mean to help hold an insert in place, so it's OK to put an insert or prefold under these flaps. 

Jo - WOHM to E 12/26/10, Wife to SAHD DH.

cd.gifslingboy.giftoddler.gifbelly.gif

Old 07-03-2012, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions! We went ahead and got a couple of Flips, and they're just perfect. Plenty of space for him to grow yet. I wasn't sure about the snaps at first, but actually they're great for making it harder for the little guy to take his diaper off absentmindedly ...  :)

DD 7/07 DS 1/11

Tags
Diapering
User Tag List