Do Biodegradable Cloth Diapers Disintegrate in Storage? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-18-2012, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I apologize up front... I'm sure I've already caused a few eyes to roll, but I've been using cloth since my baby was born but am totally wanting to buy some more diapers as it's been almost a year!  I was looking at a review on the Rumparooz G2's and the lady mentioned that the outer shell was made of a biodegradable material.  My son is almost a year and I'm a single mom so if I ever have more children it will probably be many years from now... therefore his diapers are probably going to be in storage a lonnnnnng time!  What I'm wondering is, what does it take for a biodegradable cloth diaper to biodegrade?  I mean, if the diapers are in storage for a long time, am I going to open the box and find a pile of dust (lol, kidding) or rather diapers that no longer work?  I'm sure these are lame questions, but I want to make sure I don't put out a ton of money for something that is not going to last!

Thanks in advance for educating me! ;)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 02-22-2012, 09:14 PM

Usually diapers can withstand storage for a little while (a couple years or so if stored correctly) but some components will wear out over time.  Usually elastic (usually in the legs and sometimes wait of fitted, pocket, or all-in-one diapers or waterproof covers) is what goes first, especially if it is stored wear it's hot and dry.  It will just break down and no longer be stretchy.

If the biodegradable part of the particular type of diaper you are talking about is the waterproof part, than yes, that too can break down during long term storage.  I would recommend contacting the company for specifics.  Like I said, if you were going to be storing for only a year or two they will likely be OK.  Any longer than that, probably not so much... especially if they have already been used for a couple years prior.

Keep in mind that if you don't think it will be worth it for you to store them you can always sell them instead!

*mama to c 2/2000, v 2/2004, p 9/2006, and h 12/2012*

one of the mamas behind BeanTreeBaby.com ...Gear for Growing Families!

#3 of 3 Old 02-27-2012, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for responding!  That totally sucks!  This was something I had no idea about when doing my diaper shopping... otherwise I would not have been so extravagant in my spending, knowing this may be the only baby I use them on! :(  Would contours be safe then... since they have no elastic in them?  I may buy some of those instead of more pockets or fitteds.

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page