So...about to leap into wool...couple of questions! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-25-2012, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am sick and tired of my Kawaiis! I sunk a bunch of money (though, they are cheaper than a lot of dipes) into getting totally set up with them for my first and all I can say is that I'm totally sad that I jumped into them without trying them first! There is nothing *wrong* with them, they just aren't for me. I really, really desperately want to do pre-folds! By the time I realized that AIOs are not *actually* the most convenient choice for me, my DD was completely out of them and my DS was just starting to potty learn...so I figured it was no use jumping ship. BUT! Now that we are expecting a third, I'm doing it!

So, I have decided that an Indian Prefold, snappi, wool cover mix it what sounds most appealing to me. Specifically, I'm looking at starting with 5 wool covers, a couple of soakers, some doublers and a whole crap load of premium prefolds.

I really like the Aristocrats soakers, but have seen some on etsy that seem great for tons less money and I'm really thinking of these Mamabears:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/55043469/set-of-5-mamabear-babywear-one-size-wool

What do you guys think of those? Would you say that would be a decent place to start?

Anyone who has been doing wool with great success, who has any tips for me?

Did you buy NB sized prefolds? My gut tells me to go with the "medium-ish" size and just fold them, is that going to be way too bulky and uncomfortable for bebe, or should I roll with it? I'm not generally one for spending cash on something that is worn for a mere moment....can a NB prefold that has been outgrown be used as a doubler type addition later on??

I do not knit well at all...I sew. Right now, I'm doing a million sewing projects at once in preparation for this little baby girl (after passing along nearly everything from my DD, because you know, we were "totally done"!) - so I can't make anything else right now or learn to make anything and would really like to just shell out the cash for something another mama made on etsy!

Thank you so much in advance for any advice or tips anyone is willing to pass along. All in all...what do you mamas think about wool? I really think I'm going to like it. I know people feel prefolds are more "work", but for my lifestyle, I really think it will actually end up being more convenient for me. I really don't like AIOs. Ahh! The synthetic fiber on the inside of my Kawaiis really bugs me and I swear it is stinky, I SWEAR!! Other people can't smell it, but I really don't like them. When I hold and feel on my friends prefolds, they are just so much fluffier...they get so much cleaner...nice and sunbleached and beautiful...man, I'm in love! Plus, the Kawaiis do NOT breath, IMO...I know, I know..other people love them...but I feel like they don't breath at all and my babies get/got so stinky in them. Just like a really bad "urine that's been sitting in a jar in the sun" type of smell...for a diaper that isn't THAT wet and that I change in a hurry! (and my kids have nice crystal clear pee pee, they are water hounds, so it's not that they just have stinky pee..it's the weirdest thing) So, I really just think that something nice and breathable is best for me and I'm really excited to switch to wool! TIA!

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 02-25-2012, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We use a variety of diapers with our with our little guy, including prefolds, flats, fitteds, pockets, All-In-Ones and wool.  It's a little crazy, but I've learned what works for us.  I also I'm not as happy with the AIOs and pockets.  The combo of a flat, prefold or fitted and a good fitting cover is what I like best, and it really isn't much more trouble to do once you get used to it.  This way I can "build my own diaper" at each change and make it more absorbent or more trim, depending on whats going on at the time, and it takes only a second to do.

I love my wool covers, but they weren't my favorit when he was a newborn.  They are all the pull on style and newborn poop is so runny and messy, it just didn't work for us then.  A few Bummis covers worked better for those very frequent changes, especially the Super Brights (actually have a good newborn size with bellybutton cutout and "wipe clean" inside).  We also got about 18 premi size prefolds to use at the beginning and I really wondered if it was a waste, but they were fairly cheap, being so small.  We now LOVE these and use them all the time as doublers, although they only worked by themselves for a few weeks (with a big baby, 9lb 7 oz).  Prefolds continue to work well with a cover like this because it is snug enough to hold the prefold in place without needing a snappi or pins.  We also have never had poop leak out using this system.  It's always stopped by the cover.  (It has leaked out with pockets) And just a few of these covers in each size will go a long ways, because they can be used multiple times between washing.

As far as using prefolds with wool covers, I find I like to use my fitteds more there.  The prefold just isn't big enough to go around my sons waist and be snappied on easily .  He is big for his age, so you might not run into this, but I do have a solution for when I run out of fitteds.  I use a combination of a flat diaper with a prefold laid inside.  This gives me something to snappi and hold the prefold in place while pulling on the wool cover. It may sound a little complicated, but I do it all the time with a very wiggly boy.  It just takes a little practice.  Even DH does it!  thumb.gif  If you don't want to spend extra on flat diapers, get some old flannel sheets and cut in squares whatever size you think works best for you (mine are about 30" x 30") and hem the edges. Very cheap, quick and easy flats.  I made my cloth wipes the same way.

When it comes to the actual wool covers, I find that wool interlock works better than knitted wool for leak prevention.  It is usually a bit more expensive though.  Be careful about buying too much wool until you can actually measure your baby.  My first wool cover, purchased before he was born, was small in his waist but way too big in the legs. shrug.gif

We continue to use a combo of Bummis covers and wool covers over flats, prefolds and fitteds at home.  I keep my few pockets in the diaper bag for easier changes when out and about.  I hope this helps!

Amyread.gifsewmachine.gif - married to my best friend bikenew.gif and mom to DS jog.gif  born September, 2011.

winner.jpg    nocirc.gif    femalesling.GIF    familybed1.gif    cd.gif

#3 of 3 Old 02-25-2012, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I would DEFINITELY go for a wrap style wool cover for the newborn stage.  Pull-ups are a pain in the rear for newborns and not very nice for older infants either, until they start to walk - or at least stand a lot.  For toddlers I'd use nothing BUT pull-ups.  I'd be a little hesitant about a "one size" wool cover over a larger prefold for newborns.  You're doubling your bulk.  I actually used the cheap gerber prefolds for DD for the first 2 or 3 months, and they were fine.  They're kind of lightweight which is why everyone snubs their noses at them, but for a newborn that was just fine - they could be folded down to fit without too much bulk.  So if you don't want to invest in newborn sized prefolds that would be a reasonable option.  I switched to fitteds because DD had very explosive poo and it would get on the covers too much.  I never had a leak out of my wool wrap covers, just onto them.  We were spot-washing the poop leaks by hand (it came off pretty easily with an old toothbrush) in an upstairs bathroom and our changing station was downstairs, so we felt like it was worth investing in fitteds to keep the poop in.  I was able to find some good deals used on ebay, and have found a couple etsy sellers who make really cheap nice fitteds. (http://www.etsy.com/listing/90918742/simple-cotton-owls-fitted-cloth-diaper)  

Work at home, homesteading mom sharing child care 50/50 with my wonderful WAH DH. DD1 born Jan. 2010.   March '12.   DD2 & DD3 (twins) born Feb. 2013

Tags
Diapering

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page