EC'ed 18 month old regressing... should we get cloth trainers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-27-2012, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My nearly 18 month old son was EC'ed a lot until 10 months, then we sort of took an un planned break and got back into it and he did pretty well. Happily sitting on the potty and as long as we offered enough rarely going in his cloth diapers. Lately though he screams if we take him to the potty (even with our drawer of books in the bath room or when being offered a toy) and rarely tells us he needs to go, and seems to prefer to poop/pee on the floor. This has been going on about 2 weeks now and and seems to only be getting worse. He will gladly use the potty if my almost 3 y/o nephew is here and goes on the toilet at the same time M goes on the little potty. But M wont do that with me or my husband. He just tries to leave the bathroom.... We've never gotten to the point that I feel ok taking him out with out diapers. But have done many many outings using public bathrooms and him never wetting his diaper! 

But the diapers (most prefolds with snapping covers, some snapping AIO's) are such a pain to get on and off that I'm thinking cloth trainers might be easier, especially when out and about, since he can just stand there and we can pull them down and off as opposed to putting him on the changing table or the ground (YUCK!) to get the diapers on and off. Sometimes it takes so long hes peeing as the diaper is coming off... So I have a few questions. 

Has anyone experienced potty regression like this before? And straight out potty refusal? Is he just realizing his independence? 

Have you used cloth trainers? What are the advantages and dis advantages? 

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#2 of 5 Old 02-29-2012, 05:50 AM

Yes, it is part of the process. I think it helps to clarify that regression means "the act of going back to a previous place or state". Your LO is asserting control over their environment for the first time, it is not as though they used to potty all by themselves (we facilitated everything for them when they are infants). So it is not regression, it is emerging self care.

I think they make great trainers. They are expensive though. Happy heinies, Super Undies are a few, I am always hoping to find them on sale (I am expecting).They never are though, they cost like $15 to $20 a piece. We could never afford them. I just put my guys in thick training underwear and line them with inserts. Neither put up with that for more than a few weeks. My older started to sign consistantly for us to take him to the potty, after that. I think he was 18 months old at the time. My youngest took longer (maybe 4 months) but is now climbing up and potties all by himself. But they both went through long periods of refusal. I noticed when we were going though this refusal time, they might stay dry for long periods of time, and then of course we'd  have a flood! Or they'd pee 5 times in an hour. All the while refusing my potty reminders. In hind-sight it was trial and error bladder control, there is only way to learn it.Then once they have that they need to learn everything goes in it's place~Sigh..

It's hard to trust the process at this point. Sounds like you are setting yourself up for success. I am due in June so it is always nice to hear how many other moms are open to EC. I think it scares people, I know my mother in law was skeptical at first. But now she tells everyone about her potty prodigy grandsons. duh.gif   She still thinks they are potty trained. But imagine in 10 years, the idea that babies intuitively understand elimination will be mainstream.

Wife om.gif mamaluxlove.gif to five And citizen of Earthearth.gif
#3 of 5 Old 03-01-2012, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. 

I did decide to invest in the flip training pants and after using them 1 evening I'm very happy. This will make it much easier for us to leave the house and continue to use the potty. No changing table needed. 

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#4 of 5 Old 03-03-2012, 08:01 PM

We started EC at 5 moths and by 9 months she was 100% with #1 and #2... A her first birthday party she was wearing undies. Let's just say I was a proud momma

And then independence came...

She's now 18 months and has not used the potty once oh, in about 4 months. It was a gradual decline from about 12.5 months til 14 months then it just stopped..

I I ask her if she needs to go potty she violently shakes her head no (even mid bowel movement) and picking her up to put her on the potty , her legs assume a planking position.

Ok so regardless, we've stopped. Her potty chair is still in the bathroom and every once in awhile she will come in and sit on it with her clothes and diaper still on , but rarely.

My only thought now is that this is a phase and we will pick p where we left off once this has worn off.
#5 of 5 Old 03-14-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8boarder15 View Post

Thanks. 

I did decide to invest in the flip training pants and after using them 1 evening I'm very happy. This will make it much easier for us to leave the house and continue to use the potty. No changing table needed. 

I am thinking about picking up some more things for to help facilitate our next EC adventure. I willhave to have something better by next year. Flips are way out of my price range but I am reading good things about these http://www.babybestbuy.com/dappi-nylon-diaper-pants-301.html#reviews. Just thought I would mention them, too. Just in case it helps someone in their solution searching

Wife om.gif mamaluxlove.gif to five And citizen of Earthearth.gif

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page