Review my stash...pretty pleassse?? :D - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-02-2012, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Pics, to come..pics to come...tons of stuff still in UPS/FedEx/USPS vehicles! Hahaha...I know it's a wicked disappointment with no pic! So, don't worry...stash pics soon.

Can you mamas please take a moment to review my stash of diapers? I was using Kawaii AIOs and hated them...bitter, bitter hatred is all I have for those!! (All for reasons that are personal, I think they are great for some people!) Anyway, my baby girl is coming at the end of May, beginning of June and I think my stash is pretty complete....what do you think?

I have:

Prefolds:

12 - Indian Preemies
12 - GMD Sm/yellow edge
24 - GMD Md/red edge

3 - snappis + a whole bunch of diaper pins

Fitteds:

14 - NB (some GM Workhorse, some Etsy finds, some MDC mamas)
3 - Med (MDCs bargains!)
6 - OS (Bella Bottom OS from an MDC mama, they are pristine, I'm so pleased!)

Covers:

2 - NB wool
1 - Sm wool
1 - Md wool
7 - Md Bummis Super Whispers

ETC:

4 - Etsy made ZORB doublers
1 - pair nursing pads, wool
1 - Lg Planet Wise wet bag
1 - Sm Planet Wise wet bag

So what do you think of that, mamas? I also have some longies and shorties (wool, obv) for 6+ months and will be making more after this spring business and baby birthing is over.

I'm extremly happy that most ALL of this is used stuff that is in perfect condition that I scooped up for *scandalous* money. The only things that were really "pricey" were the 4 wool covers...but really, in the $12-18/piece range and REALLY cute stuff...plus "mama made", so I'm happy to give them my money. The only things I bought new new (other than the NB wool covers) were a few of the fitteds, which were mama made on Etsy.

So, all in all, I'm extremely pleased with how little I spent and the fact that it was almost all used and it was ALL purchased either on MDC, DiaperSwappers or Etsy. YAY USED SHOPPING!!! I'm so pleased.

I am too busy and too stressed to make anything diaper related right now, way too many sewing projects going on, but will begin making more longies/shorties after this summer is passed.

Other than that, I keep getting this tugging feeling that I need more NB covers...what do you guys think? I tried to put more money in NB fitteds so I could avoid lots of NB covers because I was finding fitteds much cheaper than covers and am under the impression that with fitteds on newborns you have fewer blowouts and need fewer covers...anybody think that sounds crazy??

Thanks for looking!

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#2 of 13 Old 03-02-2012, 04:11 PM

I agree, a couple more in each nb and small covers are a good idea.  Esp when you're washing your wool and to rotate.

#3 of 13 Old 03-02-2012, 09:18 PM

Put it this way, and it's easier to see what you have:

Preemie:
12 - Indian Preemies

NB:
12 - GMD Sm/yellow edge

14 - NB fitteds (some GM Workhorse, some Etsy finds, some MDC mamas)

2 - NB wool

Sm:

6 - OS Fitteds (Bella Bottom OS from an MDC mama, they are pristine, I'm so pleased!)

1 - Sm wool

Med:
24 - GMD Md/red edge
3 - Med Fitteds (MDCs bargains!)
1 - Md wool
7 - Md Bummis Super Whispers

ETC:
4 - Etsy made ZORB doublers
1 - pair nursing pads, wool
1 - Lg Planet Wise wet bag
1 - Sm Planet Wise wet bag

3 - snappis + a whole bunch of diaper pins

Based on that, you'll be washing dipes about every 36-48 hours during your NB period.  And you definitely need more covers in your smaller sizes.  You have plenty in Med, but NB and Sm are both seriously lacking.  You need at least 6 in each size, particularly using PFs.  I wouldn't go with all wool - until you get proficient with pfs, the poo has a tendency to get on the cover, and then has to be washed (and dried).  Much less frustrating to use fleece or PUL (something machine washable) over PFs.  And wool also can't go under those cute one-piece outfits because of compression wicking. 

IME preemie PFs are only suitable as doublers if your babe is average sized.  They never would have fit my 8 lber at birth. 

You're also missing wipes. 

Oh, and I'll just say that PF or fitted, I still had problem containing anything because of DS' chicken legs.  It took months and lots of buying/selling different brands of dipes to find one that was snug enough around the leg to prevent blowouts.  So build can render all your planning moot. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#4 of 13 Old 03-03-2012, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by cristeen View Post

Based on that, you'll be washing dipes about every 36-48 hours during your NB period.  And you definitely need more covers in your smaller sizes.  You have plenty in Med, but NB and Sm are both seriously lacking.  You need at least 6 in each size, particularly using PFs.  I wouldn't go with all wool - until you get proficient with pfs, the poo has a tendency to get on the cover, and then has to be washed (and dried).  Much less frustrating to use fleece or PUL (something machine washable) over PFs.  And wool also can't go under those cute one-piece outfits because of compression wicking. 

IME preemie PFs are only suitable as doublers if your babe is average sized.  They never would have fit my 8 lber at birth. 

You're also missing wipes. 

Oh, and I'll just say that PF or fitted, I still had problem containing anything because of DS' chicken legs.  It took months and lots of buying/selling different brands of dipes to find one that was snug enough around the leg to prevent blowouts.  So build can render all your planning moot. 

Thank you for your feedback!

I had definitely planned to be washing every other day in the beginning. I got the number of fitted NB dipes that you see because I want to use wool as much as I can. I researched and researched and I know that nothing can top experience, but I specifically purchased most of the NB fitteds that I have because they are brands/WAHMshops/designs which are generally viewed as being superior in their "poop catching performance" for NBs (extremely awesome gussets, etc). Oh...and the reason I splurged a bit more on the wool covers is because I wanted REALLY cute ones cause I know I'm going to be looking at them all the time! ;)

I definitely got the preemie pfs on purpose....I give birth to tiny peanuts, but more than that, I don't have many doublers on my list because I planned to use the preemie pfs for just that purpose. Do you think I need more small pfs or NB sized? I have an opportunity to grab some used (they are really beautiful and fluffy too!) right now...should I jump on them?

I am making the wipes myself, that's one of the sewing projects I'm up to my neck in right now...I have way too much going on in my sewing corner, though and wipes is about all I can do!

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#5 of 13 Old 03-03-2012, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter

So mamas....the poster above me is encouraging me to look into covers that are not all wool....do you think that I need to shy away from wool for my NB? Or do you think that the number of fitteds I have will help me to be more successful in catching poop (thus, making it less a pain in the butt to use all wool).

I am definitely going to get more covers for NB/Sm....do you think I should invest in more wool or in like thirsties,etc style covers?? I really, really don't like PUL and I don't like fleece...but I also want to have a nice, relaxing time hanging out with my NB this summer and if you think that wool is gonna be too big a pain, I'll diversify my stash based on MDC mama wisdom!

#6 of 13 Old 03-03-2012, 11:07 AM

I haven't used wool covers (I'm lazy...it's enough trouble to wash DD's wool sweaters & socks), but I feel like having an all-wool stash is an invitation to the universe to give you a whopping big smackdown by making your baby poo incessantly. :)  In case it helps, I found that the thirsties covers are fairly non-plasticy feeling (not nearly as plasticy as the bummis covers) and fit my long-and-skinny baby really well, even when she was tiny (6 lbs).

Mom to the wacky and wonderful Kalyani (August 2011) femalesling.GIF

#7 of 13 Old 03-03-2012, 11:22 AM

I would go with more small pfs, not the NB size.  You'll get more use out of them.  We used the infant size until about 9 mos, when DS hit a growth spurt and started chunking out. 

And it's not to say that wool isn't great - we used wool almost exclusively with DS for the first year.  But I was washing a LOT of wool.  I was also doing a LOT of laundry from going coverless.  If you're in a hot climate, then maybe wool is a better choice, just because it allows baby to stay cooler, but in that case I'd plan to have 10 or so, just so you can keep them rotating and get them washed.  If you're at all good with a crochet hook, I do have a pattern that you can turn out in about an hour with a worsted weight wool, and it stretches to fit, so I've made it to cover 2 sizes (NB/infant). 

At this point, I've discovered that I actually like fleece covers.  I prefer wrap style to pull-up, particularly on floppy infants.  And for non-plasticy feeling PUL covers, go with something that is not wipe-clean interior.  It means more laundry, but it's feels much nicer.  Imse Vimse, Bummis Super Whisper, and I love my Mommy's Touch OS cover, although not sure how it would do on a NB.  Just be aware that the IV run big - my DS couldn't wear the NB size until he was about 3 mos. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#8 of 13 Old 03-03-2012, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

As pp said, more covers... I like at least 1 cover for every 3-4 diaper changes. Newborns go through 12-14 changes per 24 hours, so how often you will want to be doing laundry will reflect how many diapers you have on hand. Remember you will be recovering from birth... Do you have someone to do the laundry for you? Including washing the wool covers as needed?

You said your babies are small, so I think newborn size are a good idea. I have large babies - the last 2 were both over 9lbs. and while they were fine in small sized diapers, they still seemed to swim in them for awhile. I am buying a stash of newborn diapers this time around and then transitioning to one-sized diapers. If I was doing prefolds or fitteds and covers, I'd want 36 nb or small plus 8-12 covers and then  at least 24 in medium plus 4-6 covers.

You may get away with less covers with wool because they do hold pee better and can be air dried but they also take more effort to wash when they need it.

I would not buy anything beyond mediums at this point, mine never got past the smallest settings in theirs.

If you want to try another cover, the Bummis wraps are pretty good. They do have PUL but it is sandwiched between knitted poly, so it is a thicker material and you don't have that shiny inside you do on plain pul. I have the velcro ones but they have come out with a snap closure since then and if I buy more it will be them because the velcro wore out pretty fast. That is my only complaint with them. They have some really cute prints too. It might be nice to have some nb sized on hand just for the early days when you want to be spending less time washing.

#9 of 13 Old 03-03-2012, 04:33 PM

I think people covered the gaps in your stash pretty well.

Wool and the newborn.  If you get poop on the wool, and with the frequency of newborn poops you will, you're going to have to wash it. And they can't be washed in the regular wash.  So factor in hand washing, lanolizing, and dry time.  In my experience having used prefolds on a newborn, the best diaper cover is one that has gussets (like bummis or thirsties).  They're not my favourite covers, but they were the best with a newborn.  They're essential to preventing poo-splosions which wool will not. With prefolds and wool the poop will be out the leg and up the back. Around 6-8 weeks when the pooping decreases and it doesn't really happen at night, that's when we switched to wool (which we only use at night).  Wool/prefolds never worked for me.  I think wool and fitteds is a great combo.

I'd also recommend another large wet bag.  I wash my diapers every other day, and so the wet bag goes in the laundry and hangs to dry.  So I don't leave dirty diapers lying around, or have to frantically run down the stairs to get the clean wet bag, I found that two were really important.  It became even more important after the baby started solids at 6 months so I could spray the diaper and immediately put the soaking wet thing in the bag.

DW and I are moms to two teens (DD 17 and DS 15) adopted through CAS in 2007 and a toddler (DD 2) born at home in March 2011.

#10 of 13 Old 03-03-2012, 06:09 PM

I agree with PP, more newborn and small covers. I used fitteds and still had lots of newborn poop on the covers. I use PUL covers and just wiped it off. If you want to try some PUL covers, the Thirsties size 1Duos should fit from birth to your baby is in the mediums. My daughter was 8.8 lbs at birth though, so not sure how that cover would fit a tinier baby. I think using preemie prefolds as extra soakers later on is a good idea. If the used prefolds you are eyeing up are a steal, get them! You can always use more prefolds, I think.

Mama to three

#11 of 13 Old 03-04-2012, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much, women! They are so cheap to pick up used on diaperswappers and MDC that I think it's worth getting some and trying it out.

If there is anything I've learned from my Kawaii disaster, it's that it is worth having a more diverse stash in the beginning and seeing what works for me! That is why I haven't purchased anything beyond the small to medium range.

Thank you all so much!

#12 of 13 Old 03-05-2012, 07:29 AM

Just wanted to say... I know where you are coming from, I want to use wool with my babe due in May.  I hate the idea of pul, it just sounds so uncomfortable!  That being said, I have about 8 pul covers in NB and another 8 pul covers in S.  As much as I hate the idea of pul, I need to save my sanity!  I'm knitting up lots of wool soakers and longies, but I want to have the pul as backup!

I've found all my covers on Diaperswappers and my favorites are the Imse Vimse cotton... no exposed pul.  They do run very big though, the preemies are the same size as my other NB covers and the NBs are the same size as my other small covers!   Imse vimse also makes a machine washable wool wrap that gets great reviews... they are pretty expensive new but I've found mine used for around $15 to $20 each (again they run big and I don't think they make a preemie size in the wool wrap but I'm not sure... I have a NB, SM, and Med)

Me (42) DH (43), Catholic Mom to DD (11), DS (6), DS (1)

Expecting #4 in May 2014

#13 of 13 Old 03-05-2012, 12:37 PM

In my experience, depending on the fitteds you don't really need that many covers even in newborn sizes.  We used ME Sandy's fitteds right from birth and had 3 of their PUL covers.  The diapers were so awesome at holding in poop that I recall thinking I really would have been fine with just 2 of them.  And DD liked to cover every square inch of the diaper when she pooped, even so we only had 2-3 times when the poop went outside of the fitted and onto the cover during the first 3 months that we used that size.  So personally I'd just get a couple in each size to go along with your wool, maybe 3 in each since you will be using some prefolds to allow for the folding learning curve.

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page