Help with newborn stash (PFs/covers) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-10-2012, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This will be my first time CDing. My babies have all been right around 8 pounds at birth and never lose weight initially, so I'm hesitant to buy a ton of things in newborn sizes. I ordered a dozen NB and a dozen next-size-up prefolds from GMD. Do I need more NB prefolds? How many covers would you suggest? So far I've got 3 xsmall Thirsties and 2 NB Bummis Super Brite ordered. Do you think maybe one or two more NB/xsmall covers & 4-5 OS covers to start out?

Also, I've been looking at Rock-A-Bye Booty covers as my OS covers. They look especially re-use friendly because of the inner part being so "wipeable." Anyone had any experience with these?

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

My baby is 7 weeks old and 9 lbs and I think is outgrowing her GMD nb prefolds.  I would probably try to tri fold any prefolds you have.  I would say 5 nb covers is good- I had 9 and only used like 4-5!  For OS covers we went with Flips.  I like them so far!

Old 03-11-2012, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks so much! Do the Flips covers have the "wipeable" inner lining? (Sorry, I'm very new to this & have no idea what it's called!)
Old 03-12-2012, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

You can skip NB pfs alltogether and just go with infant size.  Even my super skinny little guy did fine in them. 

As for covers, I would have some NB on hand - we even needed preemie size, he was so skinny, but I think 5 should be plenty.

For OS covers though, I would not get wipe-clean interiors.  That's exposed PUL and it will get beat up in the wash, particularly if you have any dipes with velcro closures.  For sized covers it's not as big a deal because they're not in use as long, but for a cover you want to last 2-3 years, it's just not a good idea, IMO.  I like my Mommy's Touch OS covers, and by the toddler stage I can use them for 4 or 5 wets before they need washing, so long as I let it dry in between. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Tags
Diapering
User Tag List