Had AIO's, but would like a different system (some questions) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-12-2012, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello,

So...with dd we used BumG's AIO's. But to be honest, I was doing so much wash, and I wasn't that impressed with BG's.

I would like a different method, but have no idea where to start. I sold the BG's because I just got so lazy shrug.gif and never wanted to wash, dry, stuff, start over.

Some questions:

1. If I buy prefolds/flats, and covers (probably one size) will I be washing covers less? Because this would be ideal.

2. How many covers do you need?

3. How many prefolds/flats do you need. Are they the same thing? I am a little confused. Also I would like to just fold three times and put in wrap, not make a diaper out of them.

4. What is the best way to wash/dry. My BG's were on cold rinse/hot rinse...and then I had to have special soap otherwise they got gunky.

Please help me simplify cloth diapering, because I gave up last time, and would like to successfully CD this next babe.

Thank you mamas!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 03-12-2012, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

1. If I buy prefolds/flats, and covers (probably one size) will I be washing covers less? Because this would be ideal.

If you change frequently you can use one cover for 3-5 changes.  For me, if I leave it too long (more than 1.5 h or so) I tend to want to chuck the cover in the laundry bc it is smelly.  I know other people will wipe clean and reuse or hang to dry and reuse, but I have enough covers that I prefer to just throw them in the wash.

I have nine plus two backups (pocket diapers that I use for covers when I occasionally run out) and that works really well for me.  I think other people get away with fewer covers though.

3. How many prefolds/flats do you need. Are they the same thing? I am a little confused. Also I would like to just fold three times and put in wrap, not make a diaper out of them.

I've never used a flat but I hear they need a lot of folding.  Prefolds can be trifolded into a cover, although I'd expect a lot of poo leakage if you try to use them that way on a newborn.  I use a snappi to hold mine on.

4. What is the best way to wash/dry. My BG's were on cold rinse/hot rinse...and then I had to have special soap otherwise they got gunky.

I'm on CD baby #2, and after having done synthetic inners (AI2) with the last baby I am doing prefolds and covers this time, and I am much happier.  They are not at all finicky in the wash.  I do do a prerinse to get rid of the poo and a postrinse to avoid detergent buildup, but I haven't had any problems with gunkiness or repelling.  They get super clean.

HTH

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#3 of 6 Old 03-12-2012, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

awesome! thank you so much for taking the time to respond.

Okay, so prefolds instead of flats. Thanks!!!

Luckily for newborn stage I have some soakers with snaps that I can use a wrap with.

The not finicky in the wash is a biggie for me, so good to know.

#4 of 6 Old 03-12-2012, 06:09 PM

Prefolds generally don't get buildup like synthetics- so I think you will like them a lot better.  They say you can get by with 2 dozen prefolds- but I like 3 dozen diapers in case I don't get wash done.  Prefolds are cheap enough for that to happen.  I wouldn't go with flats- too much folding. Covers- I have always used 5-6/size.  Mine didn't get stinky if I hung them up with plenty of air- so if wet I hung them up and if dirty I tossed in the wash.  I really like the bummis style covers- where there is 2 layers of pull with no plastic against the skin.  That said Bumkins always fit my kids better- so take that for what it is worth...  

I actually really really love fitteds with wool covers though.  I would recommend that for night- but not prefolds and wool- that is a recipe for poo embedded in your wool.  Wool is actually very easy to take care of and I rarely have to wash mine...

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#5 of 6 Old 03-14-2012, 12:12 PM

Everybody likes something slightly different, so I'll chime in too. :)  Hope you find a system you like!

For newborn/small baby, we used at least 6 or 7 covers (she pooped a lot and we didn't dry the covers, just hung them up, so they took a while to dry.)  For my 6 month old DD, we now have 6 covers in her size and that is way more than we need.  We could get by with 4.

I like to Snappi the prefolds, not just fold them (it will save you washing covers).  Snappis are awesome.  For the newborn stage we went through at least 12-15 diapers/day (DD pooped a lot and HATED wet diapers).  We still go through maybe 8-10 per day.  We splurged and bought multiple sizes of prefolds and seriously, it was soooooooo worth it.  Or you could just buy flats and fold them differently, but prefolds are really nice and easy, and not that spendy.

I have not had a problem with prefolds except when using Desitin diaper cream...really hot water does a pretty good job of taking care of that.

Mom to the wacky and wonderful Kalyani (August 2011) femalesling.GIF

#6 of 6 Old 03-16-2012, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)

Yeah. We only wash our covers if they get poop on them, which is not every time. If they are just a bit wet from pee, we hang them on the side of his crib and use a dry one! We usually have two covers that are alternating throughout the day!

I will tell you that we got the different sizes of covers, though, and did not regret it. I feel we got a better fit.

Your mileage can vary! We like to have 8.

3. How many prefolds/flats do you need. Are they the same thing? I am a little confused. Also I would like to just fold three times and put in wrap, not make a diaper out of them?

We've done just fine with 2 dozen prefolds, and we wash every 1-2 days. We started out by folding three times, but now we secure the diaper on with a Snappi and don't find it difficult at all.

Honestly, we just toss them in the washer with some Tide Free and have never had problems.

Tags
Diapering

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page