I am expecting my first baby this summer. I currently have 18 small (up to 20 lb I think) prefolds, 5 size one Thirsties duo wraps, and 12 brand new fuzzibunz elite one size diapers plus some inserts. I am currently nannying for my 12 week old niece and have been able to really get the hang of using prefolds. I love the fuzzibunz too though, and I'm guessing they are what my partner will prefer.
I have two questions:
1. Will the fuzzibunz fit a newborn well? I know the Thirsties covers look a little big for a brand new baby.
2. Should I register for/look for deals on medium prefolds and size two covers, or focus on getting some more one size pockets to have a bigger stash of those. Or should I just not worry about it yet and see what we like?
I can't help you with the prefolds, but I have Fuzzibunz one size and I really love them. I've been using them on my guy since he was 1 week old, and they worked great, but he was 10lbs. Before he was born, I took a poll and it was about 50/50 split on who used FB for their newborn: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1312521/when-were-you-able-to-start-using-your-one-size-diapers/0_100
Mama Bear , Papa Bear and Baby Bear (8/11)
My vote is for prefolds. I didn't read the poll, so this could all be redundant, but here goes.....just my opinion, but I really like using prefolds until the baby starts moving around a lot and then switching to pocket diapers. Though I am a faithful FB user and love pocket diapers for lots of reasons, here's why I stick with prefolds for the first 4 or so months.
1. Prefolds are great. They launder easily, they are soft and cute in their own way, they hold in messes wonderfully, and they are REALLY a pain to put on a squirmy baby. So, I love to get all I can out of them in those early days when the baby doesn't fight diaper changes.
2.Pocket diapers can require a bit more attention in laundering. You can get away with a lot of detergents on prefolds, but with pockets, you really have to be careful to keep from getting buildup on the fleece, and when you do, stripping is a major pain. Also, I line dry my FB, so that's a little more effort than just tossing them in the dryer.
3. Prefolds are a lot cheaper!
4. One size diapers don't always fit a NB great, unless he/she is on the bigger side. Prefolds fit great.
5. You will be using LOTS of diapers the first month esp. It just seems like less work to toss all those prefolds into the washer vs. having to take apart/restuff the pockets.
6. you will be using those one sizes for a LOOOONG time, and personally, I get bored. I like to change things up.
7. Since you will be using those pockets for a long time, save the life on them by using something that works just as well in the early days. But, I would use pockets at night b/c they are easier to change when you are half asleep and keep baby dry.
18 dipes isn't going to get you through more than a day. And most OS dipes do not fit on a NB. You're going to need more dipes unless you want to wash daily... You didn't say how many covers you have for those.
I would not get more of the same (except PFs) until you've evaluated how you like them/how well they work for you/babe. PFs are incredibly useful, we're still using infant pfs with my 2.5 yo giant (as stuffers in pockets, and for PLing). I'd get at least another dozen (infant, not NB) PFs for now, and then wait and see how it goes before buying more/bigger sizes. If you have people wanting to buy you something, I'd suggest trying a few different brands of OS pockets so you can decide which you like. My fave is Rumparooz, but I have a friend who loves her Knickernappies. Many people love their BGs or their FBs, but there are dozens of brands to try.
Cristeen ~ Always remembering our warrior ~ Our is 3, how'd that happen?!?!
We welcomed another warrior in May 2012!!
2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012
For prefolds, I think you have enough Thirsties to last you the newborn/little baby phase. I bought 9 Thirsties to start because I couldn't cut down on which colors I liked! Turns out, 9 was way too many, but they are such good quality and since I was able to spread out the amount of times they were used/washed, I am still using those same covers 2 1/2 years later on my 2nd boy.
I've only used the size 2 duo wrap, though. Babies grow so fast, my ds1 was in a medium Thirsties (different sizing, I know) at 6 months and ds2 was using medium well before that, 4 months, I think. I feel like I am blubbering on and on, my point is that I think you are good on the covers
I know nothing about a Fuzzibunz!
I would start looking towards the medium prefolds. 18 diapers is definitely on the low side, but that is how I started as well, I just washed every single day. We didn't buy a bunch of new baby diapers because lack of funds. When I did buy more diapers, it was the next up because you never know when babies will have a growth spurt! And for me, the "medium" size of diapers where the ones that lasted the longest. And if they are too big at the moment, maybe use them as a nighttime diaper or changing blanket or whatever. It's easier to fold prefolds smaller than to make them bigger...
(I really feel like my post is jumbled, sorry! )
Coffee, Vintage and Kids. My Life.