Mothering Forum banner

I just realized I don't know what to do with the wipes

Tags
diapering
1K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  rinap 
#1 ·
I have registered for 18 prefold diapers and 6 covers (so few in case we decide we prefer a different type/brand) and a cloth diaper pail with odor filters. It just occurred to me that, in my six years taking care of children in other people's homes, I have always folded the wipes up in the disposable diaper and put them in the "diaper genie" (specifically for disposable diapers - entire contents get thrown away). If I am using disposable wipes with cloth diapers, what do I do with the wipes? I was thinking of keeping a trash bag around and just tying it off when I threw in wipes, but is there a more elegant solution? I know they can't be flushed.

#2 ·
If you're cloth diapering, any particular reason you plan to use disposable wipes? I stocked up on a bunch of those little terry baby wash cloths (CHEAP!!) and just get those wet with water before use. I don't fuss with any wipe solution or anything, just straight water. It couldn't be easier and they go right into the diaper pail with the diaper. If I'm at someone's house and don't have any wipes on me and have to use sposie wipes, I HATE it. For 2 reasons. 1, they just really, really suck. It doesn't "grip" the poo so I might use 5+ sposie wipes to do a job that 1 cloth wipe can do, since the cloth ones have a great texture. Then, its a big show to take the wipes to the trash after a change, usually carrying the whole poopy diaper with them and being careful not to get my hands gross. Or not, and I just put them in the wet bag to deal with at home...or not and they end up making a linty mess all over my dipes in the wash. Big, big fan of the cloth wipes! (and I absolutely hate the flannel ones.. nothin beats good ol gerber or even target brand baby wash cloths)

#3 ·
I use both and when we use disposable, I keep a little bag there to put them in and throw them away. I wanted to use all cloth but I actually think the disposable wipes work so much better for me (at least the kind I use does). Try cloth, the washcloths are really cheap and then you can decide what you like. I bought some cloth wipes also that are really nice, soft on one side and terry on the other.
I have actually put the disposable wipes in the wash a couple times by accident and nothing happened like the pp with lint all over. They were just soggy lumps, lol. I really try not to do that because of the washer drain, I don't want to block it up.

#5 ·
When I was out and about I used disposable wipes but wrapped them in the cloth diaper till I could get home and "deal" with everything. For some reason the moisture maybe helped prevent any stains from setting in. I used the same cloth diapers for all four of my kids and 8mos of 2 foster kids and have them packed away for my next baby. I never soaked the diapers The few I did broke down faster. Hope this helps some.

#6 ·
I definitely wouldn't tie off a garbage bag for each wipe. We generally use cloth wipes and toss them in with the diaper laundry. When we're using disposable wipes, I put the diaper in the pail and the wipe in a garbage can that gets taken out reasonably regularly. (generally the kitchen) Other people I know have a small garbage can at their changing table just for wipes. When I'm out, I will just put the wipe in the diaper (disposable or not) and deal with it when I get home.

#8 ·
Also love baby wash cloths. Cheapest I found is 25 cents. Feel disposable wipes, and flannel cloth just smear stuff around.

Have also washed disposable wipes and never lint issues. I just use prefolds and fitted. Covers get hand washed or wash in regular laundry.

#10 ·
For a long time we used Viva paper towels wetted down with water. We had a trash in DD's room, we are switching to cloth wipes though. it just makes more sense to me. i'm already doing laundry what are a few more pieces gonna hurt.

#12 ·
Cotton T-shirts make wonderful soft wipes! You don't need to hem t-shirt material - the edges will curl a bit but it doesn't unravel or fray. Just cut into squares that will fit nicely in whatever container you plan on keeping them in on the changing table. Just cut and your done!

Wipes take up hardly any space in the wash and don't need to be folded or anything. They are a little bit of extra work to hang to dry outside, but we just drape them over the edge of the wash basket so we don't have to use clothespins on the line. I've been known to just leave them crinkled in the bottom of the laundry basket outside if it's really nice drying weather. They're so thin they dry fast even like that. But DH doesn't like them drying all permanently bunched up like that - he thinks it makes them harder to use if you have to un-bunch them at the changing table.

I like to keep some wet and ready to use, but they will mildew unless you add a few drops of tea tree oil to your wipes water. I started out making a wipes solution from a recipe I found online, but then I read that plain water is best for sensitive skin and it really works just fine, so why go to all the hassle or expense of wipes solution? I mix the tea tree to the rate of 5 drops in a quart of water that I keep handy on the changing table. It keeps the wipes from mildewing for several days at least. I have had them mildew in the diaper bag over a period of weeks since we almost never have a poop when we're out now that she's older. So we keep disposable wipes in the diaper bag now.

When dd was an infant we would use flushable liners (we stopped when she got too wiggly to keep them in place and wasn't pooping as often), and we found that the disposable wipes that went through the wash made great diaper liners! We never had problems with them getting linty or clogging the washer, but I'm sure that varies from brand to brand - we were using 7th Generation wipes.

#13 ·
Love cloth wipes

I used them even when I was using sposies. My DS2 had a bad reaction to all wipes.

So much eaier now that we are CDing too. To be able to just chuck it all in the wet bag and then into the wash.

I actually went to the fabric store and bought a piece of flannel. I cut it into wipes and I find it a lot softer than the washcloths.

#14 ·
I started using cloth diapers and disposable wipes (mostly because I had gotten a huge box of wipes at my baby shower). But then, it became a total hassle to pick disposable wipes out of the diapers and toss them before I threw the diapers in the wash. So I whacked up some flannel receiving blankets and used those. Completely motivated by laziness on my part :) I've since gotten some pretty serged flannel wipes off Etsy and gifted the rest of that huge box of huggies...

#15 ·
I use disposable wipes. I have a little bucket that I keep at the end of DD's changing table and I just throw the used wipes in it. When it gets full, I dump it in the main trashcan. So far, DD's poops have never smelled so it's not like the dirty wipes are stinking up the room.

#17 ·
This was exactly my issue when I started cd'ing. I switched to cloth wipes because it was actually easier than carrying around the poopy wipe. Then both diaper and wipe went into the same place I store them in an old plastic disposable wipes container and make a wipes solution that I pour over the top. I do use disposable wipes when we are out and about though.

For those who wash their disposables...do you just throw them out after you wash them? Do you throw them in the dryer too?

#18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by My3sons78 View Post

This was exactly my issue when I started cd'ing. I switched to cloth wipes because it was actually easier than carrying around the poopy wipe. Then both diaper and wipe went into the same place I store them in an old plastic disposable wipes container and make a wipes solution that I pour over the top. I do use disposable wipes when we are out and about though.

For those who wash their disposables...do you just throw them out after you wash them? Do you throw them in the dryer too?
They go in the dryer too. Then the garbage after they are washed and dried. If I am hanging the laundry out...I don't dry them on the line ;)

#19 ·
The few times I've used disposable wipes, I just threw them in the diaper pail and washed & dried like everything else. Much easier to gather and throw away after the wash.

I second the idea of cloth wipes, at least for at home. I have zero sewing skills, so I just cut up a few receiving blankets into squares and use those. After almost 8 months of use, they have some fray on them, but I don't really care. It was too much hassle to wet them in the sink, since my changing station isn't in the bathroom, so I just keep a little spray bottle by the diapers. I fill it with water, and a touch of olive oil and baby soap and a couple drops of lavender oil. But I bet plain water would be great too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.