Help with Diaper Rash - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 03-26-2012, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi! I need some help from experienced Mamas out there.

My son is EBF and three months old. We cloth diaper. I use Charlie's Soap (cold rinse, hot wash with double rinse).  I change diapers every 1 - 2 hours and right away if he poops. He poops every 2 - 3 days and it is abundant, smelly and green. He is on daily iron supplements due to prematurity and his ped. said to expect the green poo. Prior to getting the rash we were using Angel Baby Bottom Balm. He's had this rash for about a week and I can't seem to get rid of it.

Here is what I've tried:

• Triple paste with fleece liners.
  • A&D ointment (worked overnight with a prior rash) with SG disposables
  • Butt paste with SG disposables
  • Olive oil 
  • Airing out the area

The rash is just a little pink area near his anus. It doesn't look inflamed, raised, bumpy, patchy, or anything. He doesn't seem bothered when I clean the area. He is a very happy and alert baby.

Does this seem like a food allergy? Should I go on an elimination diet? If the detergent is bothering him, would it present in such an isolated area? 

Thanks for any insights that you can provide.

Happily married to DH 

Stay-at-home mama to DS1 (01/12) & DS2 (01/14)

#2 of 15 Old 03-27-2012, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If it was a detergent issue it would probably be more widespread. If it's been persistent it's possible it could be yeast.

#3 of 15 Old 03-27-2012, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

ok--thanks!

Happily married to DH 

#4 of 15 Old 03-28-2012, 10:41 AM

When did LO start the iron supplements? Could it be related?

#5 of 15 Old 03-28-2012, 11:28 AM

If it is yeast, try a diluted white vinegar application regularly. Actually, using baby washcloths in a container of diluted vinegar and water is great for wipes. It's both the prevention and cure for yeast issues.
#6 of 15 Old 03-28-2012, 11:29 AM

If it is yeast, try a diluted white vinegar application regularly. Actually, using baby washcloths in a container of diluted vinegar and water is great for wipes. It's both the prevention and cure for yeast issues.
#7 of 15 Old 03-28-2012, 06:54 PM

Angela - What's your proportion of vinegar to water?

Work at home, homesteading mom sharing child care 50/50 with my wonderful WAH DH. DD1 born Jan. 2010.   March '12.   DD2 & DD3 (twins) born Feb. 2013
#8 of 15 Old 03-29-2012, 09:25 AM

A "little pink area around the anus" could be anything from completely normal, to a slight irritation due to only pooping every 2-3 days, to a food intolerance.  Neither yeast nor detergent reaction would be that focused in area, IME. 

Honestly, if it's not bothering him, it's not inflamed or irritated in any other way, I'd just wait it out.  Keep an eye on it for any changes, but basically ignore it. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#9 of 15 Old 03-29-2012, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post

A "little pink area around the anus" could be anything from completely normal, to a slight irritation due to only pooping every 2-3 days, to a food intolerance.  Neither yeast nor detergent reaction would be that focused in area, IME. 

Honestly, if it's not bothering him, it's not inflamed or irritated in any other way, I'd just wait it out.  Keep an eye on it for any changes, but basically ignore it. 

Thanks, Cristeen. This makes me feel better since I've been a little forced to "wait it out". It doesn't bother him in the slightest! DH is going on an elimination diet because of his eczema. I'll be doing it with him and it will be interesting to see if the rash goes away on my son.

Happily married to DH 

#10 of 15 Old 03-29-2012, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtjunker View Post

When did LO start the iron supplements? Could it be related?

He's been on them since he was about a week old, with no persistent rashes until now at 12 weeks old. I'm guessing it's not related. Thanks though!

Happily married to DH 

#11 of 15 Old 03-30-2012, 09:51 AM

My DD (7 months) is always a little pink in the diaper area...she just has sensitive skin (she gets pink bumps on her knees and chest now from scooting over carpet as she learns to crawl, too, even with clothing on).  It doesn't bother her at all.  We just smear it with diaper cream at every diaper change (we like the all-natural version of Boudreaux's Butt Paste).  One thing though...when we went from changing multiple times a night to not changing at night unless she pooed--that was about 3.5 months, because she started getting annoyed at the constant wake-ups--the pink started to get more diaper-rashy overnight (red bumps).  So at night we put on the Desitin cream, which I know is disgusting but really really works--none of the other creams we've tried work so well.  One application a day doesn't get the cloth diapers too yucky, and it sure clears up the pink.  The other cream is enough to keep the diaper rash under control during the day.

I agree with the other posters, I wouldn't worry.  Just keep putting cream on and, if you start not changing much at night and it gets worse, consider breaking out the heavy guns (Desitin).

Mom to the wacky and wonderful Kalyani (August 2011) femalesling.GIF

#12 of 15 Old 03-30-2012, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choose2Reuse View Post

My DD (7 months) is always a little pink in the diaper area...she just has sensitive skin (she gets pink bumps on her knees and chest now from scooting over carpet as she learns to crawl, too, even with clothing on).  It doesn't bother her at all.  We just smear it with diaper cream at every diaper change (we like the all-natural version of Boudreaux's Butt Paste).  One thing though...when we went from changing multiple times a night to not changing at night unless she pooed--that was about 3.5 months, because she started getting annoyed at the constant wake-ups--the pink started to get more diaper-rashy overnight (red bumps).  So at night we put on the Desitin cream, which I know is disgusting but really really works--none of the other creams we've tried work so well.  One application a day doesn't get the cloth diapers too yucky, and it sure clears up the pink.  The other cream is enough to keep the diaper rash under control during the day.

I agree with the other posters, I wouldn't worry.  Just keep putting cream on and, if you start not changing much at night and it gets worse, consider breaking out the heavy guns (Desitin).

Both DH and me have sensitive skin, so it makes since that DS does too. I tried a bunch of all natural things when he got his first rash: coconut oil, olive oil, bottom balm, kaolin clay, etc. and none of them worked until I tried A&D ointment. With this persistent rash, I gave up and tried more conventional things. My MIL picked up Triple Paste, Boudreaux's Butt Paste, and A&D ointment for me after looking through my baby things (she insisted the natural treatments wouldn't work), so I was using those with no improvement either. Do you use the natural butt paste straight on the cloth diapers or do you use a liner? DS goes all night without a diaper change now unless he poops (for the same reasons yours does), so I wonder if that's increasing the irritation. Is Desitin similar to the Triple Paste? 

I really appreciate your input. It sounds like I'm going to be dealing with a lot of little rashes with my DS and I need to develop some sort of treatment plan!

Happily married to DH 

#13 of 15 Old 04-01-2012, 05:28 PM

I haven't tried the Triple Paste (we're slowly working our way through every kind of diaper paste known to mankind though :) ).  We use the butt paste smeared liberally on her lil bottom and then slap a diaper on--no liners.  I haven't had problems with it.

The Desitin is like zinc oxide diaper cream on steroids.  I think the A&D is kind of greenish, right?  It's a preventative cream.  The Desitin has zinc oxide in it, so it's white--it has the highest percentage of zinc oxide of any cream I've seen.  It also has fish oil in it so it smells gross.  Our pediatrician told us that if the bottom is just a little pink, you can use a preventative cream, but if it gets more rashy (bumpy & red) to use a zinc oxide cream, and she recommended the Desitin.

The Desitin does goop up diapers really bad, so you might want to use a liner with it!  Otherwise I hear you can strip the diapers by boiling them, but I haven't tried it yet.  We only use the Desitin at night or if the rash gets really bad (like when we went to India and it was horribly hot and muggy), and that amount of yucky cream seems to be okay as long as I wash the diapers in hot water.  You can tell if your diapers are getting gunky because they smell like fish oil as soon as they get even a tiny bit wet. 

I feel like my crunchy membership card should be revoked for recommending the Desitin but it really does work! :P  I hope you figure out something that works for your DS!  We use diaper cream (one or the other type) on the little rashes that pop up on her legs and in elbows, and that usually takes care of it.  Also, my DH gives her a massage every night and that helps her skin a lot!  (We use sesame oil usually because the Indian tradition is that it's good for skin, but any type of oil helps.)  She's going to be a sad sad little girl some day when she gets bigger and realizes that she won't always get a massage every night. :)

#14 of 15 Old 04-01-2012, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Choose2Reuse! I really appreciate your detailed response. I actually picked up both your recommended creams today while shopping and am going to give them a try. It's hard for me to ignore a rash! 

Your DD sounds very lucky to get such sweet attention from DH! I've never tried sesame oil. We use olive oil to massage him after a bath...but not every night! Lucky gal :)

Happily married to DH 

#15 of 15 Old 04-02-2012, 10:12 AM

You're welcome!  I sure hope it helps. :)  The sesame oil is kind of thick and sticky so we use it before a bath (no soap so the skin stays pretty oily).  But DH and MIL swear up and down that it's good for skin, so that's what we use!

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page