Does anyone actually 'love' their flats? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-29-2012, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I want to love flats, we tried them with ds1 and I just didn't get the appeal.  they were thin (even when folded), not as absorbant as pf and super bulky for newborn days.  We are prepping for #2 and I would love to learn to love flats.  Can someone show me what I've been missing?

#2 of 6 Old 03-30-2012, 10:25 AM

I love using them folded into a pad to line my softbums as a cover. Doing this I can keep it to 2 covers a day unless we have any poopy blow outs. Alot cheaper/ easier to wash/ more natural than microfiber.

Not sure I really "love" them though. 

Mommy to Petunia 11/04 Bug 10/06 Button 11/09 and  Sweetie pea 12/11 DW to J :

#3 of 6 Old 03-30-2012, 12:20 PM

I've cloth diapered 5 kids, over 19 years, and used just about everything out there.  I really love my flats, primarily, because I can get them SUPER clean, and they dry very quickly, even on the clothes line.  I don't get build up on them, and they don't stink, and need to be stripped, like my fitteds and prefolds used to.  You can customize how much absorbancy you have and where the absorbancy is by using different folds, more than one diaper at a time, or using a doubler.  You can find some folds here: http://www.little-lions.com/page47a.html or search for videos on YouTube. At most, you need to buy two sizes, and even when your child outgrows the smaller size, it can be used as a doubler.  They are super cheap, which is a plus as well.  I prefer the way they fit into a pocket diaper, and I like the fact that I can switch how I fasten them closed (Snappi, pins, just laying them into a wrap or a pocket).  I frequently use the jelly roll, with a snappi, when I want baby to be coverless. 

My kids are about 7 lbs when they are born, and even the smaller size organic flats that Green Mountain Diapers sold were too bulky at first.  I just used wash cloths or doublers in the very early days, which can of course be repurposed when the child gets bigger. 

And finally, my flats are holding up WAY better than my prefolds, fitteds or AIO's did. 

Nicole730 likes this.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#4 of 6 Old 04-01-2012, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone else?

#5 of 6 Old 04-05-2012, 11:45 AM

I love them because they are versatile, they fit for a long time, you can make them out of anything, easy wash and dry (low energy use), cheap and trim.  I used small GMD flats and old receiving blankets from newborn - 5 months.

There are a few older threads about flats.  But you don't have love them - there are lots of ways to diaper :)

#6 of 6 Old 04-07-2012, 07:37 PM

I love them as a part of my wide variety of diapers.  I love how simple and basic they are.  I love the way the look on a baby and how trim they are.  I love how easy they wash and dry.  I love that they are so versatile in a diaper bag and can be used for so many things besides just diapers.  If I only had flats, I probably wouldn't love them as much.  But even with plenty of pockets and fitteds and prefolds, I still reach for the flats too.

Mama to three

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page