Camping for a week with a newborn - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-05-2012, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

There's an annual camping trip with all of my friends that takes place about a month after my little one will be born. We usually stay between 6 and 10 days. There's no plumbing near the site, so we haul in all of our water. Every couple of days someone will go into town for stuff like ice for the coolers and to run trash to the dumpsters. We all just take solar showers... or not. I'm hoping by the time the trip comes up our pop-up camper will be road worthy, but I've usually just tent camped anyway. I've never seen anyone do laundry on the trip. Usually every one just packs a lot or they end up wearing the same clothes for 5 days at a time. Usually it rains at least one day out of the trip, but it has also rained for 3 days straight as well. It's usually a huge group effort to keep tarps up and fires going once the rain does start.

I'm wondering how feasible it would be to cloth diaper the little one while we're on that adventure. I've done disposables before with no real issue. I'm thinking I could hand wash with gloves, or get some sort of portable washing machine. But, what about drying, especially if it's raining? Maybe I could use those disposable/biodegradable inserts, and throw them in the potty bag to be buried? I'm just not sure how the inserts perform as far as keeping the rest of the diaper clean. What do you all feel would be the best solution?

P.S. I only have pockets and AIOs.

SAHMhippie.gif married to DH treehugger.gif since 09/11. Mama to DD (01/08)dust.gifand DS (06/12) babyboy.gif

#2 of 11 Old 04-05-2012, 03:00 PM

Handwashing pockets or AIOs while camping sounds like torture to me!  They don't wash easily and they take forever to dry.  You may be able to get away with using the pockets as covers and sticking a disposable insert in there, but that won't save any money over disposables. 

In your shoes I'd use the DDs in a heartbeat! 

#3 of 11 Old 04-06-2012, 09:25 AM

You could do your best to EC while there, improvise with old t-shirts, and/or stash a pack of dispoables if need be.

Is there a water-source near-by? You could wash from there even if it's not pottable water....May want to boil for the rinse?

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#4 of 11 Old 04-06-2012, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

There's a creek, but I wouldn't consider it sanitary. A bunch of the kids were digging out the sides of the bank two years ago to build a giant dam, and found like 4 potty bags. Apparently some people (not the people we camp with, but others who use the site other times of the year) don't know not to put human waste near a water source. duh.gif

We always take up way more water than we need though, so I would be able to boil some for washing. I know that if I boiled the stream water it would probably be fine, but it just squicked me out so bad I won't even play in the creek anymore. I even try to find shallow spots or rocks to cross when looking for firewood.

SAHMhippie.gif married to DH treehugger.gif since 09/11. Mama to DD (01/08)dust.gifand DS (06/12) babyboy.gif

#5 of 11 Old 04-06-2012, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I think that is a situation I would just go ahead with disposables. Maybe use a greener brand?

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#6 of 11 Old 04-07-2012, 05:21 AM

We are trying to come up with a travel system, too. We aren't camping, we are vacationing at a sea side community. Every year I am shocked to see that the state STILL doesn't recycle. People act like slobs and many have no regard for the trash their "holiday" creates for the locals. They probably ship the garbage off shore. Gah! So I am tring to be as green as possible. I think I may buy a flip travel pack. The disposable inserts will break down (they are compostable) they cost like $6. dollars for a package of 18 so we are looking at $25. for inserts for a week. BUT of course I am thinking that the small 8-16 lb size will be to big for a new baby. So I have to make a trip up to Ithaca so I can eye the covers before I buy them. Anyone using small flip covers on a newborn?

By the way EC (natural infant hygeine) is a huge help. We will be doing that to.

Wife om.gif mamaluxlove.gif to five And citizen of Earthearth.gif
#7 of 11 Old 04-07-2012, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

I think I'm liking the idea of disposable inserts as well Tri31. I've heard good things about the GroVia inserts as well. I've heard they can be used with any brand of cloth diaper, and they seem to be much cheaper. I just wonder how well they actually work at protecting the cloth, and if I would still have to plan for regular washing.

#8 of 11 Old 04-07-2012, 07:35 PM

Wow, you are ambitious.  The idea of camping with a newborn sounds nowhere near remotely fun to me! :)  I would definitely use disposables for the trip.  And then pack lots of extra clothes because you will have blowouts!

Mama to three

#9 of 11 Old 04-11-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaInTheDesert View Post

I think I'm liking the idea of disposable inserts as well Tri31. I've heard good things about the GroVia inserts as well. I've heard they can be used with any brand of cloth diaper, and they seem to be much cheaper. I just wonder how well they actually work at protecting the cloth, and if I would still have to plan for regular washing.

Thanks for mentioning grovia.I just saw this review  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRQQIZSTlrI&feature=player_embedded

and I think the grovia are much better. thumb.gif

#10 of 11 Old 04-11-2012, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

That video was awesome Tri31! Thanks so much for sharing! That for sure gave me a better idea of how the GroVia biosoakers actually work, and I agree with you that they seem like a pretty fantastic option.

#11 of 11 Old 05-23-2012, 04:04 AM

I keep thinking of you when I read this. It sounds ideal for camping.

http://dirtydiaperlaundry.com/the-2nd-annual-flats-and-handwashing-challenge-preparation-and-blogging-prompts/ I will likely try this sometime myself this summer,too.

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page