Traveling with cloth diapers- advice? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What would you do (cloth diapered kid on 4-5 day roadtrip)?
Use the diaper service prefolds, throw em in the wet bag and try not to think about (or smell) it. 9 64.29%
Try gdiapers with disposable inserts. 1 7.14%
Go with disposables. 4 28.57%
Something else I'm not thinking of yet. Please tell me what it is! 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 04-06-2012, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We're going on a road trip and will be out of town for 4-5 days.  We use a diaper service and besides the prefolds they supply we don't have many diapers of our own (a couple of all in ones is about it).  The service's rules state that we are not to launder their diapers ourselves for fear that we'll stain or ruin them, and because we've always had plenty, we've never really been tempted to try- so we're not going to be trying to find a laundry room to wash them.  And I'm thinking that a wet bag full of dirties will be really gross in the car on the 4th day or so, but that's one option.  

We could always just go to disposables for convenience on this trip, but DS has never worn one (he'll be 10 months) and I really hate to break that streak now, lol :)

I was thinking of buying some gdiapers and trying them out with the biodegradable inserts as a compromise, but having never used them, I'm not sure how many covers we'd need, or how well they work.

If anyone has any feedback or suggestions, I'd sure love the help!  Thanks in advance!

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 04-07-2012, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I think I'd just bag the prefolds and then put those tied bags into a tupperwear tote. It will be gross on the fourth day, but it should be tightly sealed and contained.shrug.gif

ShyingViolet likes this.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#3 of 13 Old 04-07-2012, 07:33 PM

Yeah, I'd just bring a way to seal the stench in really well.  I've brought our regular diaper pail before and it's worked fine.  It holds the stink in the house, so why not on a road trip?  You could also rinse out them out with water and hang them to dry before putting them in a diaper bag or pail.  I don't know if you will be in one spot long enough for that, but it works well too.  Even just drying the pee diapers before putting them in a container will help with the stink too.

guatemama1 likes this.

Mama to three

#4 of 13 Old 04-07-2012, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

We use the large and extra large ziploc bags. For longer trips we use one bag per day which is then put into a larger bag. This way we don't have to deal with the smell. I also carry with me a limited number disposables because...well, you never know.

Here is what I take...much of this stuff also doubles as part of the first aid kit...

When we go on trips we take 1.5 as many diapers as currently use in order to account for...whatever. We also take 3 snappis (I have actually used that many on a trip...) and 2 covers per day.

In addition to washable wipes...I also pack flushable wipes...toilet paper, a little bottle of olive oil (helps with cleaning a bad poo on the road with water or soap may not be available and also conditions the skin very nicely from a cut or (sun)burn or rash), A&D, Zinc oxide (mixed with lotion it becomes our sunblock), calendula cream, a small bag of baking soda (can help a bad rash, cut, bump & bruise when mixed a a little bit of water), a small bottle of water, two or three shopping bags, a small bottle of lavender essential oil (good for calming a baby, soothing a stressed out mama, and good to disinfect and clean any open cut), and a couple of flushable diaper liners. I think that's everything. 

Now...I do overpack when it comes to diapers. But I have never encountered a problem I couldn't handle...and I have some stories for you!

I should also say, my daughter HATES disposables and refuses to wear them for extended periods of time...being away from home for days and days is a Very Bad time to find that out...so if you do decide to use disposables try them out before hand...

hope that helps

hola.gif My life in emoticon...oh, I've said too much blahblah.gif

lactivist.gifselectivevax.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.giftrekkie.giftreehugger.gifwash.gif

#5 of 13 Old 04-09-2012, 06:29 AM

I've been on a roadtrip with DD for four days, and as much as I hated to do it, I bought disposables.  However, I wasn't using a diaper service, and since I was already visiting my parents when my father suggested this road trip, I didn't have my full stash--just two days that I had brought with me from my house.  And when my parents do a road trip, they don't like to stop much, so there wouldn't be a chance to do laundry.  lol.  If I had had enough diapers for four days, I probably would have brought them along instead.  Bring the diaper pail...if it doesn't stink in your house, it shouldn't stink on the road.  Unless, of course, you'll be experiencing super high temperatures.  Then I'd be worried about smell. 

I do like to bring disposable liners for travelling, normally.  you won't get much, if any, poop on the diapers that way, and it makes it easier to get rid of it in a public washroom. 

Also, maybe you could get some deodorizing discs to cut down on any smell?

#6 of 13 Old 04-09-2012, 11:27 AM

Gdiapers arent good quality and aren't cheap. Cotton Babies makes a similar liner for their Flips diapers, but it falls apart when wet. I would try to find a way to contain the diapers while on the road. You could try out different methods at home to see if they stink, like the ziploc or tupperware, or if you have a wet/dry bag, like from Planetwise or Bummis.

Hope that helps! Have a good trip!

#7 of 13 Old 04-19-2012, 05:26 AM

I'll be the off vote.  I do cloth when I camp and when we visit people, but while we travel (on a long car trip or in a  plane) I just prefer disposables. I like not having to carry dirties with me when in an enclosed space and I admit I like knowing they FEEL dry, especially when on a long driving push in the car.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#8 of 13 Old 04-19-2012, 09:35 AM

We, too, do cloth at home and visiting, but disposables for longer trips.

#9 of 13 Old 04-19-2012, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

I've done both.  I found that for traveling, disposables were easier on me.  If I knew I would be staying someplace I could wash dipes, I would do disposables for the actual trip part (plane, car ride) and then switch back to cloth for the stay.  For a car trip over several days, I would probably go with disposables.  I would be hesitant to try gDiapers on a trip like that because I wouldn't know what the plumbing was like where we would be, and I have heard lots of reports of them being really hard on older plumbing.  So, I wouldn't want to clog up anyone's pipes.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#10 of 13 Old 04-19-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdinaL View Post

I've done both.  I found that for traveling, disposables were easier on me.  If I knew I would be staying someplace I could wash dipes, I would do disposables for the actual trip part (plane, car ride) and then switch back to cloth for the stay.  For a car trip over several days, I would probably go with disposables.  I would be hesitant to try gDiapers on a trip like that because I wouldn't know what the plumbing was like where we would be, and I have heard lots of reports of them being really hard on older plumbing.  So, I wouldn't want to clog up anyone's pipes.

Ditto this.  We did cloth when staying with family or when camping, etc. (because they could be laundered) but for the travel part I'd use disposibles and also use them if staying in a hotel or the like.  If it was 3 days I'd say to go for the cloth, but by day 4....I might even worry that leaving them that long could damage the dipes. I  had a prefold that somehow got missed through a laundry cycle or two and I ended up trashing it because it got pretty gross.

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#11 of 13 Old 04-23-2012, 10:37 PM

I've always been one to use disposables when traveling, unless we're going to my parents where I do laundry there.  I do what's easiest when traveling, and to me, it's easier to do sposies when not at home the same day. I cloth diaper at home but am not ultra-stringent on never using disposables. shrug.gif

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#12 of 13 Old 04-25-2012, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback!  We ended up taking a big rubbermaid-type container with 2 bags- started with a full bag of clean prefolds and an empty bag, came home with a small stash of cleans and a big sack of yuck!  But it's all good and they'll be set out for the diaper service tomorrow just like usual.  Really wasn't a big deal at all- I'm glad we didn't try to change it up.  I really appreciate all the thoughts and ideas- thanks for sharing :)

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#13 of 13 Old 04-26-2012, 11:00 AM

Glad to hear it all went well!  I mean, the way I was looking at it, they only get washed once a week with the diaper service anyway, so it wasn't a change in routine on that end...just done in a different location, that's all!  Hope you had a good time on vacation too.  :)

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page