How many wipes? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-08-2012, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How many cloth wipes do you use per diaper change? How many if it's a poopy diaper, on average? I'm sewing my wipes, and wondering how many to do. I'm thinking of having in stock 2 wipes/diaper...is that a good amount to sew? Advice anyone?

#2 of 6 Old 04-09-2012, 10:16 AM

We use regular-sized washclothes (that you can buy in 10-12 packs at Walmart, etc.), and we only need 1 per diaper, even messy ones. That said, a few extras are good because we sometimes use them for other diaper-area clean-up tasks.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#3 of 6 Old 04-11-2012, 07:18 AM

I have twice as many as I use between wash cycles. I could get by with less for sure but it's nice to have extras so I know I won't run out, some stay inthe diaper bag, etc. Mine are just one layer of flannel with the edges rolled and sewn.

For poops these days we just use one wipe since DD eats a lot of solids. Before when her poops were a lot messier I'd normally use two - one I would wet down for the cleanup and the other one would just be a bit wet on one side to do one more just-in-case wipe and dry.
#4 of 6 Old 04-11-2012, 09:27 PM

We use one wipe for pee, one or two for poo usually...before DD was born I made 48 wipes out of two layers of flannel (4" x 8" or so), and that was not quite enough with line drying (partly because DH kept stealing them to use as burp cloths, and partly because I kept a bunch in the diaper bag).  So I bought a couple of packs of cheap washcloths too--we use those mostly for poo since they're bigger.

Seriously, more wipes is way better than not enough wipes.  If you have extra you can use them for burp cloths, spitup cloths, etc. ...and you might find that someone steals them for those uses anyway, even if you haven't got extra! :)

Mom to the wacky and wonderful Kalyani (August 2011) femalesling.GIF

#5 of 6 Old 04-13-2012, 05:01 PM

Depends on what you make them out of. 

I have (hemp) fleece wipes that really pick up and hold on to poo, even the sticky toddler stuff we have now.  There are plenty of times when 1 is enough.  But my flannel wipes, while bigger, don't grip as well, and can slide right over big messes, so I always need 2. 

ETA - we started out with 50 fleece wipes almost 3 yrs ago.  Now I have about 25 left.  Don't know where they went, but they did.  We're headed into a new baby with not enough wipes. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#6 of 6 Old 04-15-2012, 12:17 PM

At one point I had 40-50 (homemade) wipes. I would grab a handful and stuff them in the diaper bag, have another handful waiting to be washed, some in their place, some drying, etc... It is always nice to have a TON of them.  A lot of them simply got lost. I have been using disposable wipes for a couple months now out of sheer laziness (well, because I'm pregnant) and after re-collecting all the cloth wipes for the new baby, I only found 15 shy.gif

I say do as many as you possibly can, they disappear! 

Coffee, Vintage and Kids.  My Life.
              reading.gif  jammin.gifdust.gif   1sttri.gif

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page