Reusing covers between washings - REALLY? Your experiences? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 04-10-2012, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I CD'd my DS and very much plan to do it again. However, I kind of failed with my fitteds + covers during the newborn period. I ended up having great success with OS BG pockets and used them till we toilet trained. I am pretty sure I'll be fine during the newborn period this time, since I now know which covers work and don't with the fitteds I have. The main problem I had was just not having enough of the right ones, and so having the smaller covers leak (mostly wicking up the top, but also through the legs - and I changed often).

However, another thing I never could seem to do was reuse the covers that did fit between washings. It just always seemed icky to me. I'm not talking about poop getting on it of course. Even when left out to air-dry the cover smelled like urine. Was I doing something wrong? Is it really possible to "reuse" the covers a few times before washing them? I did search through the archives but did not find someone with a similar issue. Advice? Experiences? Recommendations? All very much appreciated!

Me + DH + DS ('07) + after a long and bumpy road, thrilled that our twin boys are finally here (DS2 & DS3, '12)

#2 of 13 Old 04-10-2012, 04:28 PM

Maybe your DS had strong urine?  I haven't had that problem with DD unless she got a lot of pee on the cover.  If it was just touching a wet diaper, that was okay, but if somehow she managed to pee right on the cover, it would likely smell.  Lately, now that she's eating solids and is bigger, her nighttime diaper covers sometimes have a smell, but not during the day. 

It could be related to laundry, though if that were the case, I would expect the fitteds to have a strong smell, so that likely isn't the issue. 

My guess would be a) strong urine, or b) extra pee getting on the covers (which could be the case considering the leaks). 

#3 of 13 Old 04-11-2012, 06:01 AM

I reuse covers with my fitters. I have two that I rotate during the day and I give them a quick wipe with a cloth wipe before I hang it up to dry (we used wipes for all diaper changes). I don't use the nighttime cover during the day as they just get too stinky, so for nights I just keep that cover aside and use it for two nights, then it goes in the wash (we wash every other day).

The only time I found things got stinky during the day was when DD was taking in a lot of solids at first and not getting enough water, but you would see that from pee frequency too. Sometimes she would go 2-3hrs without peeing and it would be potent!

Also having absorbent fitters is important so the diaper shouldn't be all soaked when you got to change it (I usually change after 1-2 pees). Hope that helps!
#4 of 13 Old 04-11-2012, 06:09 PM

What brand covers were you using?  When I first had my son, we only had Prowraps and I felt like those got stinky really fast.  We didn't have a washing machine and we didn't have a lot of covers, so I would just rinse them and hang them to dry as needed.  My son peed frequently, but never mass quantities.  We changed every 2 hours or less.  I didn't notice the same stink with my daughter, even though she would pee more at once.  We mostly used Thirsties covers with her. 

Mama to three

#5 of 13 Old 04-11-2012, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much guys, your responses are so helpful to me. I am emboldened to try again! Maybe I just need to give them a better wipe or find a better wipe solution recipe. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I hope you don't mind me asking another question? As far as I could tell, DS was not a particularly heavy wetter. But the fitted would be wet to the touch on its outside when I changed it (about every 2 hours I think?). Not necessarily soaked but wet all over. Is that "okay"? Or an indication of a poor fit for him? Maybe I need to change them more often? (Eek, now I feel badly.) The fitteds I have are Green Mountain Diapers Infant Fitted Diapers. Nicole, I did use some Prowraps, actually, maybe that was part of it. Also Imse Vimse and a Litewrap, which were my two favorite types. I had others but they were the wrong size for the dipes. I was trying to sample and figure out what worked, but ended up just moving to BG OS.

Me + DH + DS ('07) + after a long and bumpy road, thrilled that our twin boys are finally here (DS2 & DS3, '12)

#6 of 13 Old 04-12-2012, 08:49 AM
myk

i've been able to use my Super Whisper Wraps with prefolds for several changes before it needs to be washed. i use 2 per day plus as many times as she poops and i've never noticed them smelling bad (i have a sensitive nose, too). i think the key is to change very frequently so the cover never gets particularly wet. i have LOTS of diapers so i change her every couple hours, even if it's just a very light wetting.

January 2011
#7 of 13 Old 04-12-2012, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I will only use covers with PUL on the inside and have no smell issues with motherease airflow covers

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#8 of 13 Old 04-12-2012, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

nak

-absorbency of inner: when we were using AI2 inserts the cover smelled at every change and I couldn't reuse them.  Now with prefolds (in same AI2 covers) I more often feel OK reusing

-usually if I change at 1.5 h pf is slightly damp and cover is OK, but at 2 h prefold is more obviously wet and cover smelly. I aim for q 1.5h changes now unless babe is asleep

-covers w PUL inners less likely to get stinky than fleece inners

HTH

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#9 of 13 Old 04-13-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozal View Post

the fitted would be wet to the touch on its outside when I changed it (about every 2 hours I think?). Not necessarily soaked but wet all over. Is that "okay"? Or an indication of a poor fit for him? Maybe I need to change them more often? (Eek, now I feel badly.) The fitteds I have are Green Mountain Diapers Infant Fitted Diapers. Nicole, I did use some Prowraps, actually, maybe that was part of it. Also Imse Vimse and a Litewrap, which were my two favorite types. I had others but they were the wrong size for the dipes. I was trying to sample and figure out what worked, but ended up just moving to BG OS.

A fitted should be wet on the outside when it's changed.  That's just how it works.  It shouldn't however be soaked.  And I've found that for a little boy, if it's wet all the way up the back, then it's been too long between changes - it should be wet on the front portion and dry on the back (for a wet, not a dirty). 

Imse Vimse were my fave cover, too.  But the interior cloth means they hang onto smells more than a PUL interior cover will.  However, a BF'd baby's urine should not be stinky when dry.  If the cover is dry and still smelly, then it's time for a wash.  When it's damp, it may be a bit smelly, but then I just hang it to dry and reuse it.  Smell is actually how I tell when a cover needs to be washed (other than poo leaks). 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#10 of 13 Old 04-14-2012, 10:03 PM

Mostly it has been covered, and I hope you have found an answer OP, but just wanted to add that we do PUL covers as well, and just wipe down after wetted. Sometimes if it is particularly stinky I wash it in a little warm water and dr bronners to hang dry. Should be good to go!

Good luck.

#11 of 13 Old 04-15-2012, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

I wanted to thank all those who posted more answers - so very helpful to me. I feel like I have an "action plan" now! I am all set to place some orders, when the time comes.

#12 of 13 Old 04-25-2012, 04:38 PM

I've never had a urine smell on a cover. I only wash if the diaper was really soaked. I could make two covers last all day if no poop got on them. I don't wipe them down and use fleece as well as pul. Was the baby formula fed instead of BF? Maybe that would make a difference. 

#13 of 13 Old 04-26-2012, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Wafflefish, what kind of diapers did you use? Maybe it was my fitteds? I had a very different experience. Yes, he was EBF.

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page