Nighttime cloth, just not working anymore for 2.5yo, help? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-11-2012, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

We've lived and loved cloth for 2.5 years but it's just not working anymore.  I think higher concentration and increased volume urine has resulted in painful ammonia burns for our little man.  We've tried pre-folds with a fleece liner and pocket dipes with a synthetic liner.  The only thing that works is a disposable diaper, of which we are not fans.  It's worth it to keep our DS' skin intact but we would love to go back to cloth while he is potty training.  Any suggestions?

Mom to DS 9/18/09 and DS 3/28/13
Laugh it up, fuzzball biggrinbounce.gif 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

notes2.gif  hope somebody has answers, but our problem (same age kids) is the wad of inserts i have to use for overnight are becoming ridiculous and make the diaper not fit so well.  we're sort of staying afloat but with any more pee or any sort of changes it's going to be leak city for us, too. 

however, i assume you've tried vinegar rinsing?  that plus the pockets (stuffed to maximum capacity) is what we're currently doing.

what are the other toddler mamas doing?

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Old 04-12-2012, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

We've tried vinegar, no change.  No leaks, just nasty ammonia chemical burns.  Still looking for ideas...anyone?  ;)

Old 04-13-2012, 03:19 PM

I have found, for my 3 year old, that our fleece liners were irritating him more than the wet cotton prefold itself. I actually only use one prefold, toddler sized, folded a bit down the front, paired with either a fleece cover (or just fleece pajama pants) or a wool cover.  When I start messing with PUL at night, that is when we get awful ammonia burns/rashes. 

What kind of cover are you using? That is what makes the biggest difference for us. 

Coffee, Vintage and Kids.  My Life.
              reading.gif  jammin.gifdust.gif   1sttri.gif

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

Old 04-13-2012, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

My daughter may not have had the same volume, etc. but she did fine with a wool cover. It allowed the diaper underneath to breath, I guess. She would be damp sometimes, but not soaked. We live in a hot climate and still used wool, mostly at night. 

Old 04-13-2012, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, I had forgotten the detriments of PUL.  Any recommendations for a cheap wool/fleece cover for a toddler?  Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-13-2012, 05:43 PM

Definitely wool.  PUL covers for us = burns also. 

Babyology has been the most cost effective for us - it's pretty much all we use at night.  They're double knit, so they're great at holding it all in.

For the diaper itself, we use a Happy Hempy OS pocket fitted with the stay dry inner.  Stuffed with 2 trifold PFs and a heavy duty doubler to get us through the night.  It's massively bulky, but it gets the job done. 

I will say though that as soon as we started night-weaning we were able to trim back the stuffing in the dipe.  He doesn't pee nearly as much at night now as he did when he was still drinking every 3 hours. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Tags
Diapering
User Tag List