Does my dream diaper exist? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-11-2012, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have tried a lot of diapers over the past couple of years and want to know if the diaper of my dreams is out there and I just haven't found it yet.  We primarily use prefolds or workhorse fitteds and covers and love them, but a great one-piece dipe can make things much easier for out of the house, with babysitters, and with my mom, who can't ever get a 2-piece system on right.  Here are the criteria in order of importance:

1. 100% cotton interior (no polyester in the absorbent part)

2. no stuffing or unstuffing

3. easy to spray poop off of, washes well 

4. dries relatively quickly

5. velcro closure, though I would do snaps if the other criteria were met

I think sized dipes fit better, but don't mind one-size if they are good in the other categories.  Here is what I have already tried and sold: fuzzibunz sized and one-size, bumgenius one-size pockets, bumgenius elemental organic AIO, bummis easy-fit pockets, and thirsties duo pocket diapers.

Thanks!

Mama to a sweet little redheaded girl, born 11/09; and my HBAC baby, little brother, born 7/12.

#2 of 11 Old 04-11-2012, 11:49 PM

check out:

clothdiaperclearance.com ----------> "best bottom diapers"

hope this helps thumb.gif

Hispanic hola.gifmama to my beautiful toddler princess(3/11)dust.gif and wife to the most loving man I know(5/8/10) flowersforyou.gif. We believe in yeahthat.gif winner.jpg femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif gd.gif goorganic.jpg delayedvax.gif.

#3 of 11 Old 04-12-2012, 07:39 AM

I think it does not based on your criteria.  You can't have it all in one and dry quickly.  The one that I have that would come closest to that is Bumkins AIO- but they still take a long time to dry and not awesome for spraying out poop.  Anything awesome for spraying out poop is going to take forever to dry if you don't unstuff it.  I don't love pockets either- but they aren't really too bad when they don't have nasty fleece next to the skin...

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#4 of 11 Old 04-12-2012, 11:54 AM

I think the synthetic fibers are what helps the poop plop off easily, all of my cotton diapers are much tougher to get the poop off of.  And I haven't used an AIO that was easy to dry, there are just too many layers in there and not enough air flow because of the cover being included.  Good luck on your search!

Mama to three

#5 of 11 Old 04-12-2012, 04:31 PM

I agree with the pps - you're not going to find all of that in one diaper. 

2 and 4 conflict.  Personally I went with pockets because of the fast drying.  They're a bit more work to stuff, but 15 minutes with the laundry basket in my lap and I can do the whole load and be done for several days.  I don't unstuff - I let the machine do that. 

1 and 3 conflict also - cotton interior means the poop is going to cling more.  For easy poop removal you need a synthetic inner.  But I will point out that you don't need to start worrying about poop removal until baby is eating a significant amount of solids.  BF poop is water soluble. 

If you're going by the order you posted them, then you're looking more at:

1. 100% cotton interior (no polyester in the absorbent part)

2. no stuffing or unstuffing

5. velcro closure, though I would do snaps if the other criteria were met

And at that point, any cotton AIO would be worth trying.  Realistically I wouldn't invest in all one brand of dipes at this point anyway - you don't know what you're going to like on that baby.  I went through over a dozen different brands when DS was born, trying to find one that fit him well - his shape was not suited to most CDs. 

Oh, and if you decide to go for a OS dipe, pick snaps.  Velcro does not last nearly as long.  Many snap OS dipes are still resaleable after 1 kid, whereas a lot of the velcro ones aren't because the velcro fails. 

I will say though that what I did with DS was fitteds and wool.  Rather than putting him in a cover and then pants, I just made sure all his pants/shorts/soakers were wool.  It's less confusing that way, and great at preventing rashes. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#6 of 11 Old 04-12-2012, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

AI2 systems dry fast without stuffing.  You do need to snap the soaker in but it is pretty fast and foolproof.  GroVia, Best Bottom, and Flip are worth a look.

Also Softbums has a bamboo insert that is pretty easy to de-poop, though I didn't like it for other reasons (it got a crunchy texture after a couple of washes).

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#7 of 11 Old 04-12-2012, 08:49 PM

What about Swaddlebees?  http://www.swaddlebees.com/Products/All-in-One-Diapers/Snap-AIO-Cloth-Diapers_10

It has snaps, but I think it might fulfill your other criteria.  Haven't used it though, so I can't say much about it personally.

#8 of 11 Old 04-13-2012, 09:45 AM

I have one of the swaddlebees Simplex, and it almost meets requirements.

1. It does have some microfleece on the insert/flap part, but cotton is against LO's skin.

2. Does require flap to be stuffed into pocket, unless you leave it out so that the stay dry microfleece is against skin. The pocket does open on both sides, so it's really easy to stuff.

3. It's washed fine with my EBF 3 month old, but have no idea how it will handle more solid poos.

4. As an AIO it does require more drying time than pockets or covers, but it's not too bad since the flap can be unstuffed to dry.

5. It has snaps which after my initial preference to velcro, I've come to prefer for durability..

#9 of 11 Old 04-14-2012, 03:30 PM

Look at the Softbums Echo or Omni diaper, may just be what you're looking for. I'm drooling over them but haven't bought one yet.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#10 of 11 Old 04-18-2012, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the suggestions and ideas...I had never heard of Softbums, Best Bottom, or Swaddlebees.  I have looked at their websites and like the look of the Best Bottom and GroVia.  I knew there would never be a diaper that would fit all of the criteria, but I had to ask, just in case. smile.gif

The closest I have found of the ones I have tried is the Bummis EasyFit.  I still have 5 in the rotation and love them for the fit, fast drying, no need to unstuff, strong velcro, ease of use for CD newbies...but can't stand the polyester stink.  What I really need above all is a diaper that I can change in my lap at a park or while standing in a yucky bathroom, something that is in one piece as you are grabbing it out of the bag and wrestling it onto the child.  Something where the absorbent part snaps to the cover would be great.  I also love the idea of fitteds (workhorse are my favs) with wool pull-on covers.  That would make life easier as well...except for the wool care part and how expensive good wool can be.  

Thanks again to all of you who responded.  

Mama to a sweet little redheaded girl, born 11/09; and my HBAC baby, little brother, born 7/12.

#11 of 11 Old 04-19-2012, 11:01 AM

I like the grovia a lot. And I find that when I run out of inserts they hold on a trifolded prefold pretty well. (but I only have enough for outings, and we still use doubled prefolds for nighttime)

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page