Please help me decide! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-08-2012, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I bought 18 BumGenius AIO's and have been trying them out because CottonBabies offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. (Total cost: $400). I'm really torn as to whether or not I want to keep them or send them back. 

Things I like--

Reducing the amount of garbage we make

Cost-saving (it'll take approximately 10 months to pay for them if we don't resell them)

Don't have to run out to the store for diapers

We can recoup some of the cost by reselling them

Things I REALLY don't like--

Staying on top of laundry is a non-negotiable

Can be stinky (we have a wet bag but Baby poops 5-6 times a day at 12 weeks)

Even with 18 AIOs, we are doing laundry every day or every other day at the most, to keep stink down

Long laundry cycles tie up the machines (three hours in washer, 1+ in dryer)

Can you help me solve or minimize the cons? I want to like cloth diapering, but I'm just not there yet. (PS-- we're not going to consider other types of diapers, because AIOs are the easiest for husband/others to work with.)

Thanks!

#2 of 7 Old 05-08-2012, 11:17 AM

Things I REALLY don't like--

Staying on top of laundry is a non-negotiable

Can be stinky (we have a wet bag but Baby poops 5-6 times a day at 12 weeks)

Even with 18 AIOs, we are doing laundry every day or every other day at the most, to keep stink down

Long laundry cycles tie up the machines (three hours in washer, 1+ in dryer)

Laundry: I think with cloth diapering you have to accept that you'll need to put a decent amount of energy into laundering them regularly. There's not a real solution to that. Cloth diapering is not for you if you don't want to launder diapers every 1-3 days. That said I personally have come to enjoy diaper laundry, yes it takes a few wash cycles, and some time, but from my experience I had far more blow outs in disposables, so there are less entire outfit changes. I also get a feeling of satisfaction as I line up all of my freshly laundered diapers in their drawers, ready to be used. Disposables have never given me a feeling of satisfaction.

Stinkies: At 12 weeks my LO pooped far more frequently than she does now at 4 months old; she's now down to only 1 or 2 poops a day. Also I use a diaper pail that has a place to put deodorizing disks in it, rather than a wet bag, I put a few drops of tea tree oil on a rag, and put it in that compartment, which really helps with any stink ( I'm too cheap to buy the disks). My diaper pail was given to me, but I've seen them for around $25, I think it's arm and hammer brand.

Stash: 18 AIO's seems like a fairly small stash to me. I know I have 30+ pocket diapers, as well as a couple dozen prefolds and a half dozen covers. I mostly use the prefolds for non-diapering purposes, but they're nice to have just in case, for example when my washer broke a few weeks ago, we were able to go much longer on cloth without washing until we got the washer replaced a couple of weeks later. Would it be possible to purchase more diapers? Even having some you don't like as much can extend the time between washings, buying some used on ebay or diaperswappers or craigslist would likely be a cheaper alternative than buying new on cottonbabies.

All in all, I think this is a personal decision about whether CDing suits you and your family. I don't know how long you've been at it, but the longer we've been doing it the easier it seems, and the more we like it. Honestly though I like doing laundry, if I felt about laundry the way I do about doing dishes, I likely wouldn't CD.

Good luck, I hope you figure out what works for you.

#3 of 7 Old 05-08-2012, 02:06 PM

3 hours seems like a really long time in the wash machine.  I have an HE and I think the longest  cycle I have and use for diapers is about an hour.  How many rinses and soaks are you doing?  Have you tried less?  I also like to wash the really long loads at night so in the morning they are all ready to dry.  I do this on diapers and DH's work clothes.  

And I agree with the PP- 18 probably isn't enough really.  Another 6 would make a huge difference for you.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#4 of 7 Old 05-08-2012, 04:03 PM

#1: If you want to cut down on diaper laundry, you need to get more diapers. You can buy them used on a variety of swap board on the internet (BabyCenter, DiaperSwappers, Spots Corner on Hyena Cart, etc).

2. Three hours is way too long in the washer. What is your wash routine? It should be 90 mn, tops, including the extra rinses. If you hang them to dry and then just fluff them in the dryer, you'll also cut way back on your electrical usage/tying up the dryer.

3. You can cut down on the stink by getting a covered pail to put the diapers in (lined with a pail liner). There are essential-oil based pail freshening cakes that you can put at the bottom to help cut back on the smell, too.

4. You'll save even more money if you keep the diapers and use them for any subsequent children.

5. Also, one of my biggest reasons for CDing is to cut way down on my child's exposure to chemicals. The stuff in disposables is really yucky, and has been banned from use in women's menstrual products. (The sodium polyacrylate gel.) Not to mention all the dioxin, the dyes, the fragrance, and the petroleum that goes into them. (One disposable takes one CUP of petroleum to make.) I would not want to wear underwear made of that nearly 24 hours a day for close to two years, and babies are so much more sensitive and vulnerable than an adult woman.

To me, laundry is something you have to do when you have a baby. They go through multiple outfits a day. No one tells you to throw away the clothes that get poop on them, you just wash them, because that's what you do. Dipes are the same for me, and I actually enjoy diaper laundry now -- way more fun than hubby's socks! :)

Mama to five babies. The newest one made her debut 7.10.12!

#5 of 7 Old 05-10-2012, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the thoughts! I had been doing two heavy duty wash cycles (one cold, one warm) and have cut that down to a quick wash and a heavy duty wash. That shaved an hour off my total wash time.

Also, I agree that 24 would be a better number, and if we continue (as I mentioned, we're on a 30-day trial), I will definitely go up to 24 from 18.

Thanks for the pail tips, as well. I'll look into it-- or even making my own disk with essential oils.

And good point about the chemicals, as that's a great benefit. Any research/reliable data on what's in disposables? Doing a quick Google search results in what looks like unsubstantiated claims.

Again, thanks for the tips-- I am still on the fence, but your comments and suggestions have been extremely helpful in making it a little easier as I go through the trial. I want to like cloth diapering, but I also agree that it has to work for my family. :)

#6 of 7 Old 05-10-2012, 04:30 PM

I know you are on a timeline because of the money-back guarantee, but I just wanted to recommend to keep trying for a couple more months before you give up. At 3 months pp, EVERYTHING was overwhelming for me, but now life is much easier to handle. Doing a few extra loads of laundry is just the norm now, so I don't think much about it. And especially since you have AIOs, you don't even have to stuff pockets (which is the worst part for me).

I had to increase my stash so I do laundry every 3rd day, and that has made life so much easier. Also, I agree with PP to try starting your cloth diaper laundry at night. Then I just hang up or put in the dryer first thing in the morning.

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#7 of 7 Old 05-11-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat13 View Post

I know you are on a timeline because of the money-back guarantee, but I just wanted to recommend to keep trying for a couple more months before you give up. At 3 months pp, EVERYTHING was overwhelming for me, but now life is much easier to handle. Doing a few extra loads of laundry is just the norm now, so I don't think much about it. And especially since you have AIOs, you don't even have to stuff pockets (which is the worst part for me).

I completely agree with this Cat13. I was just reading this and thinking the same thing. When I first started cd'ing dd I just couldn't handle all of the extra work. But now, it feels like just another part to our day and I have no problem with it at all.

I also suggest some prefolds and covers. Still have to wash diapers, but you can often wipe down the cover and put a new diaper in. Makes things seem less intense. And yes, 18 is not enough AIO's to get by, unless you want to do laundry every day. If $ is a problem (because that's why I don't have a huge stash of AIO's, I cannot stress the simplicity and cost effectiveness of prefolds enough. 

Happy diapering!

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page