Need perfect fit, no leakage cloth diapers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-17-2012, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have not been perfectly happy with our cloth diapers. irked.gif

We have been using Sun Baby mostly, and they have always leaked a little, but at least they held up about 1-2 hours. Now, it seems they don't even hold pee for 20 mins anymore. 

Another brand we use is Trend Lab, I believe it is by Target (at least we bought it from Target), they hold up okay, but at night it is another story.

Also, my son is now growing out of these diapers! He is 9mo., 23 lbs (28") and the Sun Baby diapers are getting too tight around the leg, and both SB and Trend Lab don't seem high enough around the waist.... Supposedly they fit until 35 lbs, maybe my baby has a big butt, don't know :P.

Now, with those two problems in mind, is there any brand you could recommend to us? We prefer pocket or aio diapers, or where the insert is snapped in. Did not like pre folds really (so bulky clothes would not fit).

We are also on a budget a little, and we will be ordering from Germany (German brands seemed very pricey so far).

TIA!

fly-by-nursing1.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2012, 08:59 AM

Well, I've found with a lot of diapers, what you pay for is what you get.  Both Sun Baby and Target's house brand are going to be rather cheap, so I'm not surprised you're having problems. 

But as for fitting/rise - with a diaper, you need it to cover the private parts, it doesn't need to come up to the waist.  For a boy, that means it covers the plumber's crack and it covers the penis.  The rest really serves no purpose.  And in fact your clothes will fit better if you don't expect the dipes to come up so high, but you still may need to go up a size in pants/one piece outfits. 

As for night-time, you may need more.  We have specific night-time diapers because our day-time diapers are just insufficient to get DS through 12 hours of sleep. 

I do not know about availability in Germany - if you know of any online stores, providing us with those links, we could let you know which of the diapers available might be a good choice for you.

Of the brands available here, the ones I like best for containment are Rumparooz pockets.  They still fit my 40 lb almost 3 yo, although they are fairly low cut.  For night-time though we use Happy Hempy pockets stuffed with (2) prefolds under wool.  Those two diaper brands have served us well for almost 2 yrs now. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 05-17-2012, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post

Well, I've found with a lot of diapers, what you pay for is what you get.  Both Sun Baby and Target's house brand are going to be rather cheap, so I'm not surprised you're having problems. 

But as for fitting/rise - with a diaper, you need it to cover the private parts, it doesn't need to come up to the waist.  For a boy, that means it covers the plumber's crack and it covers the penis.  The rest really serves no purpose.  And in fact your clothes will fit better if you don't expect the dipes to come up so high, but you still may need to go up a size in pants/one piece outfits. 

As for night-time, you may need more.  We have specific night-time diapers because our day-time diapers are just insufficient to get DS through 12 hours of sleep. 

I do not know about availability in Germany - if you know of any online stores, providing us with those links, we could let you know which of the diapers available might be a good choice for you.

Of the brands available here, the ones I like best for containment are Rumparooz pockets.  They still fit my 40 lb almost 3 yo, although they are fairly low cut.  For night-time though we use Happy Hempy pockets stuffed with (2) prefolds under wool.  Those two diaper brands have served us well for almost 2 yrs now. 

I understand, I was actually thinking about that too, that cheap diapers may just not be as good, and we considered maybe slowly adding more costly diapers while still using the ones we have.

The rise is really low though, it barely covers his privates and has a gap on top, it also makes it harder to close and fit well that way.

Availability in Germany - I just meant a seller that will ship to Germany, although...if that is not possible, maybe my mother in law would send them. I am actually having trouble finding german brands, it seems mostly prefolds are used.

Thank you! :)

fly-by-nursing1.gif

Old 05-17-2012, 08:57 PM

I'm afraid I can't help with pocket diapers/AIOs as we've been very happy with prefolds & covers, but I just wanted to chime in and agree that doubling diapers at night is great.  (We use a smaller size prefold inside the bigger one.)  Otherwise it will leak overnight...there just isn't enough absorbent material at some point.

Also, I know you said you didn't like prefolds because they're bulky, but if you just go up one size on the pants, it works out okay.  (I don't even have to do that right now--it was mainly when DD was tiny.)  My DD is a similar size as your DS is (8.5 months, 20ish pounds, 29" long) and we're using the red edge Green Mountain Diapers prefold--it will easily last 2 hrs, probably more like 3ish before it's soaking wet.  She's been wearing this size since about 4 months, and they go up to a ridiculously high poundage so she'll probably be in them for a long time! They're a lot cheaper than AIO diapers, and much more adjustable, so you might want to give them another try if you think you won't hate it too much.

Mom to the wacky and wonderful Kalyani (August 2011) femalesling.GIF

Old 05-18-2012, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm confused when people find their prefolds bulky, I haven't particularly found them much bulkier than pockets or AIOs.  It seems to depend on the cover used and the way the prefold is folded as well.  A trifolded prefold in a trim cover like a Flip is quite trim.  We've been super happy with GMDs as well.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:42 PM

I have a dozen glow bugs for my 13.5 month old and they are working quite well so far (though they are only a couple of weeks old). She is between 22 and 23 lbs now probably, has a bit of a booty, chubby thighs, and a little belly and they fit her well. I find I have to use both inserts the diaper came with since she is definitely a heavy wetter but they hold a LOT of liquid if you double stuff. The rise is high enough that she can grow quite a bit more but I fasten the diap below her belly not over it. The only leaks I've had were when only using one insert and with a faulty diaper that is being replaced under their warranty. They are between the price point of sun baby and say bum genius and the quality so far I find impressive. if you're interested in trying one, they sell a special edition print as singles but usually they sell their diapers in 6 or 12 packs for a much better price. I have a bum genius pocket and find these roomier if a bit bulkier when double stuffed.

Tags
Diapering
User Tag List