best cloth diapers for an older child - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-17-2012, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi! We're just starting our cloth diapering adventure. My little girl is nearly 19 months old; 30 lbs, 34" tall! And prefolds just don't work. Even  the toddler size was too tight in the waist, too bulky in the behind. I'd like to stay as natural / organic as possible. Fitteds? Contours? Thanks so much!!

#2 of 4 Old 06-17-2012, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Try the prefold folded into 3rds and laid in the cover. I never fasten prefolds on. If you want to use only natural fibers, your best bet is fitteds with a wool cover. There's tons of brands of fitteds, including wahm ones. Same for wool. There's knitted/crocheted wahm ones, mass produced ones (like stacinator, sustainable babyish, aristocrat) and recycled ones made from old sweaters. All work excellently. If you can sew, you can easily make a wool cover yourself from thrift store sweaters

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#3 of 4 Old 06-18-2012, 06:02 AM

Hi!  We started cloth diapering when our son was just about the same size.  I found the toddler prefolds to be far too large!  The size large "brown edged" prefolds from Green Mountain Diapers fit him quite well.  We do the "angel wing fold" and then put a Thirsties duo wrap over top - no pinning or Snappi or anything.

I tried a lot of different things to get started - fitteds, pocket diapers, and prefolds.  I really prefer the prefolds.  I have had stink issues with the pocket and fitted diapers I bought because they are not 100% natural fibers.  I didn't really care about natural fibers when I started out but I love that my prefolds come out of the wash smelling CLEAN.

Mumma to DS July 2010 and expecting another baby boy late July 2012 belly.gif

#4 of 4 Old 06-18-2012, 12:00 PM

I switched my DD over to cloth around 12 months to help her feel wet since we started ECing and I'm hoping to prime her for PL in the future. She is a VERY active, now 14.5 month old toddler and I have lots of trouble getting her to be still for diaper changes. Prefolds just didn't work for us and I use a combination of diapers in different situations. At home i usually use fitteds (bumboo and motherease) with a wool soaker. When I run out of those, I toss a flat into a PUL cover and that works ok. For going out or if grandma is watching her, I go with pockets. I definitely prefer the natural fibers in the fitteds but at times the convenience of a pocket goes a long way. I found prefold to be really bulky when folded in thirds and laid into the cover and my monkey is never still enough to try anything more complex. The flats are much thinner but they are fine as long as I change them soon after each pee, which I can do at home. My bumboo is still on the crossover snap (!) since they are so stretchy even though DD is 23 lbs, 30inches. The mother ease almost meets in the middle too so I think both of these brands should fit your LO well. The pockets I have are mostly glowbugs and I'm on the third snap so again there is still lots of room. I have a wahm wool soaker that's really bulletproof and I crochet another that works well but I think I'll add a second layer in the crotch since my DD is a very weary wetter and it has leaked once or twice.
I would recommend you start slow and get a couple of different diaps to see which type works well for you and what brands/wahm you like. I have a couple of things that weren't the best fit for us and I'm happy we have one of each and not five.
Good luck! Keep us posted. I'm curious to hear what works for your toddler since it might work for mine too :-)

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page