RRP layers, fasteners, and inserts - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-19-2012, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My second little girl is due in 2 weeks and I have been doing alot of research on cloth diapers. I've decided to go with RRP because we are on a really tight budget and they seemed to be very versatile.

I have accumulated lots of flannel over the past couple of weeks and invested in a little bit of PUL. Originally my thought was to sew up flannel diapers with an inner PUL strip in the middle and then I have a collection of old towel that I'm sewing up for inserts. I think I've only invested about $30 altogether. Most of my flannel is from my mom's stash or old sheets I find at thrift stores. I also have a couple old footie pjs from my daughter.

Now for my actual questions..

If I continue using flannel then I can't really use Snappi's right? I read somewhere that they will ruin the flannel, but if I use an inner layer of PUL then I can't use pins because it'll ruin the PUL... I don't think snaps will give me enough choices since I have no idea how big she will be. So maybe I should invest in some velcro or something similar?

Also do I remove the inserts before washing? Couldn't find any details on that anywhere..

I really want to avoid covers as much as possible, but wouldn't mind knitting some wool ones if totally necessary. So maybe I should make some with PUL and velcro and some without PUL and a couple wool covers for those?

I like the idea of making AOIs but since I'm new to cloth diapers and my baby isn't here yet I don't really know how I should stuff them so I may research these things later.. Any tips would be VERY appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2012, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you want something easy to get you started until you see the shape and size of your LO, you could make a couple of your AIOs and two covers. Also, cut up come used cotton sheets or something to make about two dozen flats. This way you'd have an easy way to keep LO covered until you test out your designs and see what works. I would hate to do a ton of work and wish I'd done it differently. I'm not very crafty and I do love the convenience of pockets but I have two PUL covers and a bunch of flats to use at home and they work great. Just an idea, sorry I can't help with the crafting.

Tags
Diapering
User Tag List