Cloth Trash Can or Diaper Pail - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-27-2012, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What do you use as far as a diaper pail or trash can?  Any special tips or tricks to keep the smell down?  Do you recommend baking soda at the bottom of the pail?   We are using a big wetbag, do we have to put anything special in it?  

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012, 06:17 AM

I use this: http://www.amazon.com/FuzziBunz-Hanging-Diaper-Pail-White/dp/B002OL1TBW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340799326&sr=8-1&keywords=fuzzibunz+hanging+diaper+pail

I have 2 so I always have one when the other is washing.  I really like it, but I'm a little concerned it won't be big enough once DS2 arrives and we have 2 in diapers.  Then again, newborn diapers are tiny.  Then again, newborns go through A LOT of diapers.

It has a little tab on the inside and I put some tea tree oil on it and that really helps with the odor.

Mumma to DS July 2010 and expecting another baby boy late July 2012 belly.gif

Old 06-27-2012, 04:30 PM

I use a step on garbage can with an apple cheeks drawstring bag and it works great. I'm thinking of getting a pail liner so I can alternate when the other one is in the wash. With the lid down, smell is really not an issue so I don't do anything special. I'm actually blown away by how simple it is to keep DD in cloth :-)
Old 06-27-2012, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We use a step on garbage can.  When the pail liner started leaking, we gave up on using one altogether and surprisingly, we have very little smell.  We just wipe out the pail with some natural cleaner (vinegar and essential oils mostly) and throw one clean diaper in the bottom to absorb some extra moisture.  We use a dry pail system and it works great for us.  If I were to use a wet pail system then I'd probably want a diaper pail that latches closed for safety.  I love, love, love cloth diapering - so easy!  Good luck!

“A woman in Birth is at once her most powerful, and most vulnerable. But any woman who has birthed unhindered understands that we are stronger than we know.” –Marcie Macari
Old 06-27-2012, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I used a basic trash with swing lid. No liner, just rinse out when I do the wash. Never a smell issue, but I keep it in the mud/laundry room. Might be more of an issue if kept in a tiny bathroom. I also wash every 2-3days.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
Old 06-27-2012, 06:00 PM

I use this:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=cosco+diaper+pail&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=iK3&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=655&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=13415556916731950954&sa=X&ei=Kp7rT9ujHcqnrQG-ubXMBQ&ved=0CFcQxBUwAA

With a wetbag inside lining it. It works great. I don't usually have a problem with smell, and I don't use anything. There is a place to put something if you want it to smell better. I usually wash every other or every 3rd day, depending on how full the pail is.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:32 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Easy-Saver-Diaper/dp/tags-on-product/B0009A4FBQ  We mostly use that one without a liner.  I rinse it out when I throw the diapers in the washer.  We keep the pail in the baby's room/our room.  Sometimes the pail does get stinky, but none of the odor gets into the room, it only smells a bit when opened.  And that's mostly with toddler diapers.  We have another diaper pail we keep in the bathroom occasionally and that is just step on flip lid, no odor there either.

Mama to three

Tags
Diapering
User Tag List